• Advertisement

Hudson Valley/Catskills area backcountry?

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Hudson Valley/Catskills area backcountry?

Postby Gberg67 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:45 pm

Looking for suggestions for non-resort areas to ski in the Hidson Valley/Catskills area. I’ve heard about the old ski hill adjacent to Belleayre and I think another near Mountain Creek in NJ; one near (in?) the Mohonk Preserve. Not sure if Tuxedo Ridge or Sterling Forest are still operating and, if not, whether they’re poachable. I’m NYC local and just looking for a place I can skin and slide; much obliged for any suggestions.
Gberg67

Re: Hudson Valley/Catskills area backcountry?

Postby The Court General » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:03 am

Check out: www.nelsap.org/ny/ny.html

You can also go to Mohawk Mtn in Cornwall, CT. They allow uphill traffic.
The Court General

Postby MikeK » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Are old ski hills really backcountry?

Don't take that the wrong way, I think they definitely have their place for skiers of the future, but here's another suggestion:

Get out some maps, identify some likely targets, put your skis on your feet and go scout it out. Some places you may need to do a little de-cluttering in the fall, but if you look hard enough and know what you are looking for, there are zillions of places to ski.

I have no less than 20 "secret" areas that I frequent. Here's the catch - they ain't secret! They are well seen public areas that no one thinks to use to ski during the winter. I scope lines, drag a few logs and sticks out of the way and ski them when there is snow.

Yeah, it's work. But guess what - no one is going to tell you, especially on the internet and especially close to the Big Apple where you can find these special places. If it were easy or well known - lazy dh lift skiers would swoop in and ski them out when they felt like it.

If you don't feel like doing that, buy a pass to Plattekill and ski there. They do minimal snowmaking and grooming. Also if you want to skin for exercise, ask them. Some places have a trail where they'll let you go any time, others let you go in the morning before they spin the lift. I don't know what the policy is for many places in the Cats.
MikeK

Postby Grant » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:52 pm

MikeK wrote:Are old ski hills really backcountry?

If you break a leg or pop an ACL, a NELSAP certainly is going to feel like backcountry.
Grant

Postby Dirk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Don't you ever get tired of telling people why they are wrong?
Dirk

Postby telebird » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

There is an old ski area in Tannersville on Rt. 32a on the way to hunter that may or may not allow you to skin up. I live on the other side of the river on the mass line and when there is enough snow frequent Taconic State / Bash Bish / Mt. Washington park/forest which has trails from both NY & Mass sides (though trails are easier from the Mass side). There is also the old Thunderbolt trail from the top of Greylock which is always a blast if there is enough snow but get there early as that is fairly well known
telebird

Postby MikeK » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Dirk wrote:

Don't you ever get tired of telling people why they are wrong?

OH my! That sounds kinda personal.

Anyway, before you recommend someone go trespassing on private property and potentially injure themselves, you might want to figure out who owns those ski areas and get permission.

I guess I forgot why I stopped posting here. I think I'll have to reinstate that myself or ban me, whatever makes you feel good.
MikeK

Postby webby » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Dutchess looks interesting - please let me know if you check it out

I can show you a great place in NJ some time - look me up when there is a foot of snow on the ground
webby

Return to General Topics