• Advertisement

Looking for new tele ski

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Looking for new tele ski

Postby Kmac5 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:30 am

Hey guys,
Looking to get a new set up and move to NTN. East coast skier, 5’11”, ski pretty aggressively. Looking for a fun playful ski that can handle the bumps, trees and making quick turns.

On my watch list...

Fischer Ranger 90
Dynastar legend 88
Liberty origin 90
Dps cassiar 94
Scott slight 93

Any other I should be considering?
Kmac5

Re: Looking for new tele ski

Postby telebird » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I love my Brahma CA's which I think they renamed the Bushwacker's for this year. Same specs as the regular Brahma except for lack of metal topsheet. Much more forgiving and quicker. I use with Bishop BMF's NTN toe and found they hold edge as good as the regular Brahma's (which i also have mounted up with outlaws).
telebird

Postby Biff » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm

I love all my Liberty skis. The Origin is a great ski. I should add that I have the Liberty Variant 87. Just a great all around ski. Grips like a bastard, turns quick and is OK in pow. For deep Pow i go to the big wide rocker boys.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Go Fish » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Blizzard Brahma (with the metal) is my daily driver. It is a super versatile ski that can rail groomers or play in the bumps or stomp crud. It completely sucks in anything loose or light. It is usually a really good choice for the conditions we get in New England.

The problem is, sometimes we get a little bit of light snow or some crazy stuff like the ice balls of last week or spring corn. My solution was the Volkl 90Eight. Snappy, light, and super fun. It is my go-to touring ski. At about 1500 g per ski, it is pretty light and it has enough back bone that I don't worry about it if I decide to plow down something steep in the back country.

The other problem is that sometimes it snows big around here...The Blizzard Rustler 11 was my solution to that...

The other, other problem is that there are way too many fun skis and not enough time or money to do them justice. As soon as the end of the season sales kick in I will be the proud new owner of a pair of Nordica Enforcer 93's. They will replace my Brahmas because they are more solid at speed and much easier to toss around in tight turns.

It never ends...My dream would be to have unlimited access to a quiver of about 20 skis that was updated every year.
Go Fish

Postby Kmac5 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:01 pm

I hear ya Go Fish. So many great skis I get overwhelmed with all the great options. Spoke with a ski shop up in Killington and they mentioned looking into the new Atomic Vantage 90 Ti and the Blizzard Rustler 9. Seems anythinngin this class of skis will do the trick. I’m just being cautious as to try and stay away from anything too stiff.
Kmac5

Postby telebird » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Well the Brahma is very stiff - so that is why i got the Bushwacker which is same ski but softer without the metal (has a carbon weave or something like that). The Bushwacker is better in the fall line doing quick turns and in moguls. The rustler 9 is a little wider and has metal only under the boot area so kind of a cross between the two. Looks like a perfect ski for the east but i haven't skied it.
telebird

Postby Go Fish » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:11 am

A buddy of mine skis alpine on the Rustler 9 and he loves it in everything but ice and loose/heavy crud. It is really quick across the fall line (super fun in the bumps) but it definitely has a speed limit.

I think it would be a good choice for an attempt at a quiver-of-one.
Go Fish

Postby ts01 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:35 am

Biff wrote:I love all my Liberty skis. The Origin is a great ski. I should add that I have the Liberty Variant 87. Just a great all around ski. Grips like a bastard, turns quick and is OK in pow. For deep Pow i go to the big wide rocker boys.

+1 on loving the Liberty freeride line generally for a tele setup. I'm now on the Helix 98 but had a few years on the Sequence 95 and Origin 96, all mounted with NTN Freeride or Freedom. Origin 90 is just a variation on that theme that I'm sure would meet your needs. One more point on the Liberty freeride skis - if in doubt on length I'd suggest going longer (that's why I've traded through a couple, trying to find the right length).
ts01

Postby Dirk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:10 pm

After 10 years on Karhu Jak 90s (same ski as the old Line Prophet), I decided to move into the 21st century. I am extremely happy with my new (to me) Nordica Enforcer 93s as a daily lift-serve ski. They carve short radius turns, hold well on ice and hardpack, and are playful as hell in any depth of new snow. I love just being able to roll my knees into a new turn rather than having to stomp on the Jaks. They have a speed limit, but that's probably due to me skiing them short (177). I put Voile Switchback x2s on them for spring touring, but will likely stick to my Voile Vector BCs for most of my midwinter tours. Adjusting from the Switchback to the x2 definitely took a full day, but it quickly became second nature.
Dirk

Postby Go Fish » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:36 am

Dirk - I just got a pair of Enforcer 93s too and I love them for all the same reasons you do. I went with the 185 length and they are rock solid at speed, even on the icy crap that we have been dealing with lately. I'm 220 and 6' tall. As a general rule, if there is tip and tail rocker, I always go longer.
Go Fish

Return to The Gear Shop