• Advertisement

2018/2019 Wachusett Thread

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: 2018/2019 Wachusett Thread

Postby Go Fish » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Snow Report 2/10

I had a chance to slow down, get out early and really enjoy my hill today. I was in the deserted parking lot at first light and got skins on my skis. I started up just after the first rays of morning crested the ridge. It was quiet and cold. It has been so long that I completely forgot how magical a regularly crowded spot in the woods can be when there is no one around.

The first bit of my climb was punishment for being a lazy skier. My legs are strong but my cardio is weak. I was sucking wind something terrible. Eventually I got my heart rate control sorted out and it was a really enjoyable trip after that.

The first down was really good because because of the up. However, it was really firm. I traded my light climbing skis for something with metal in them and continued to make laps with the aid of the chairlifts. It wasn't great. The hill was really firm but there was very little ice.

I cant wait for Tuesday.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:08 am

Snow Report 3/1/2019

It has been a while since I skied WaWa and posted a report. Tonight was a harsh reintroduction to New England boilerplate after a week of soft snow in Colorado.

I had hopes that the 4 inches we picked up last night would soften things up but those hopes were dashed. The hill was a rock. It may have been more fun in daylight. I may have been able to identify the vast patches of ice before I was flailing like an idiot trying to keep my ass off the deck.

Do yourself a favor and wait for a big dump of snow or warm conditions.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Snow Report 3/3/19

The grooming crew at WaWa continues to impress. Conditions were great early. Unfortunately the hill got way too populated way to fast. The upper lot was closed at 8:20 and by 9:30 the wait for a chair was 10-15 minutes. My wife and I got 8 runs in before we decided it was time to belly up to the bar. At that point the lines were stretching well onto the field of view for the web cams...strategically aimed so you cant see the lift queues. Grim.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Snow Report 3/4/19

What a difference 8" of high water content snow can make! The conditions today were fabulous and super fun. The hill got a groom sometime really early this morning and they let about 3" of Mother Nature fall on top of it. My daughter had a snow day and my wife had to get in to work so I took my "daddy duty" on the hill with the munchkin. We didn't get there super early but we were able to get a bunch of high quality runs in before the onslaught of idiot teenagers showed up and ruined everything.

The snow was so soft and forgiving. Early, it was tracked but smooth and there was absolutely no speed limit. You could straight line for a couple hundred yards and tip skis over into really impressive arcs. Even my 9 year old was laying trenches. Later on, everywhere got a bit bumped up but the snow was still soft as butter. Making short turns and playing with the natural features was just as much fun as plowing over everything with big, fast GS turns. It was glorious.

After a couple of close calls with out of control morons we ended the day right after the lunch hour. We are so lucky to have this little hill so close to home...I just wish there was an entrance exam to be allowed to ride it.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 am

3/6/19 Snow Report

I skied the night shift last night and it was fabulous. The place was empty and the snow was great. Get out there ahead of the rain over the weekend and next week.
Go Fish

Previous

Return to Ski Area Conditions