• Advertisement

Game on!

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Game on!

Postby Bob T » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 pm

Impossibly nice tour this evening. It was light (kind of) until 8pm!

Bob T

Postby Dirk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 am

Nice Bob! I think I know the spot. :)
The weekend's looking pretty decent. I haven't been out in shirtsleeves yet this season.
Dirk

Postby benny » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am

This is really a great shot, worthy of gracing one of Mad River's daily emails or the website.

Spring bump skiing and apres ski beers in the sun are among life's great pleasures. I'm looking forward to this weekend in the MRV

Dirk wrote:......... She was skiing bumps in Cat Bowl and Canyon better than she has in her life. So much fun.

benny

Postby RobRox » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm

From the same day as the Ramond Cataract avvy:

My little test pit in GOS revealed that slalomming around the larger patches of windslab and sking the glazed sugar of the sun warmed bed surface was the way to go. (The thin wind slabs, 1-8 inches, could easily fracture and were not well bonded to the crust. That 6-8 inches of strudy crust was sitting on 4-6 inches of sugared snow, which sat on a broken crust layer. 2-4 inches thick. Having learned what I wanted, I stopped there and refilled the pit.)

Bluebird at start with a few whispy clouds later on. The crust picked up a reflective sun crust that peeled away beautifully on each turn. The thin slabs broke off corners and edges but didn't cut loose.

961_TracksSmall.jpg
The skinny gully next to #1 had, on many previous attempts, kicked my butt. Not so yesterday.
961_TracksSmall.jpg (164.03 KiB) Viewed 456 times

We went over to Hermit Lake through the Graham Link Carwash. Andrew took a run up and down Hilman's while I waited on the sunny deck at Hojo's. The Sherby was very nice, fully covered too. One note, the wave just after Dead Man's Turn is getting big, take it easy off that turn.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Dirk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:25 am

Nice Rob! I was riding lifts at Stowe this weekend, but yesterday afternoon I did continue up the Toll Road to the top of the Nose. There were a few creamy turns from the radio towers back down to the road, but it was more about being up on top by myself. Looking north to the Chin you can see that most of the summit lines are almost melted out, but the snowpack on the ski trails is deep. We'll be skiing till Cinco de Mayo for sure.

Dirk

Postby RobRox » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 pm

Grham Link partly trimmed back. Between GOSST and 3700' the shell-pant rippers, face-whacks and the back-of-neck snow-dumpers have been removed. That's about 1/4 of the GL length. The blown in snow was delightful on the way back down. The crusty highspots were, umm, "edgeable".

The rest of it is a carwash, mainly due the the extra deep snow cover. Since it is supposed to provide quick access for non-mechanized response to trouble calls, it should not be a tiring brush-fight to traverse.
RobRox

Postby RobRox » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:46 pm

GL is toast, no good for speedy response travel. While it is now a bit clearer between the GOSST and the Boott Spur Trail, there are multiple bare spots (the moose are loving the sunny spots) and the bogs have no snow. Between the BST and the Sherby it's still a jungle....with bare spots and a big waterhole.

Sherby is just about toast. Big bare sections. The rope by the top crossover will appear shortly. Snow was soft today but not very grabby
RobRox

Postby Dirk » Mon May 06, 2019 7:37 am

I think I'm done. We skinned Stowe for the last time yesterday, three or four trails still run top to bottom but by next weekend there's going to be a lot of walking between patches of snow. All in all, it was a great season. Time to pump up the bike tires.

Dirk

Postby capecodtele » Mon May 06, 2019 9:38 am

Great shot on the deck...skis with skins and a pack with an Alchemist beer in the background..doesn't get much better than that. Time for the 2019 Season Review thread and the 2019 Mountain Biking Game On thread
capecodtele

Postby benny » Fri May 10, 2019 11:26 am

Dirk wrote:I think I'm done.

The 2019 Craft Beers in Nature series is complete?
benny

Postby Dirk » Fri May 10, 2019 1:35 pm

benny wrote:
Dirk wrote:I think I'm done.

The 2019 Craft Beers in Nature series is complete?

Ha ha, nice one Benny! I meant done skiing. I will continue to drink craft beer in nature year round. Unless my wife or doctor makes me stop.

(craft beer tip) late April/early May and late October/early November are ideal times to visit your favorite Vermont brewery. Right now, you can just saunter up to the counter at Trapp's or the Alchemist or Lawson's and get drafts or take out. The rest of the year, you have to line up with the teeming masses. Why, I bet the line at Hill Farmstead is even under an hour. :)
Dirk

Postby benny » Fri May 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Dirk wrote:
(craft beer tip) late April/early May and late October/early November are ideal times to visit your favorite Vermont brewery. Right now, you can just saunter up to the counter at Trapp's or the Alchemist or Lawson's and get drafts or take out. The rest of the year, you have to line up with the teeming masses. Why, I bet the line at Hill Farmstead is even under an hour. :)

I've become a big fan of Vt during stick & mud season for similar reasons. Not that it's in a league with the above mentioned, but have you checked out Bent Hill?
benny

Postby Dirk » Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 am

Benny, I've been meaning to check out Bent Hill. I've heard good things. Too many damn beers to keep track of...

Anyway, so we wound up getting in one more weekend. This is on Standard at Stowe above the Tyro intersection. Lee has never been able to skin in her Garmonts without getting blisters, despite remolding the liners several times. I finally bought her some Intuition ProTour liners and we molded them Friday night. That, and a liberal dose of 2Toms Blister Shield, and she was skinning pain-free. She was so happy, as you can see.

Dirk

Postby Biff » Mon May 13, 2019 11:32 am

Dirk wrote:Benny, I've been meaning to check out Bent Hill. I've heard good things. Too many damn beers to keep track of...

Anyway, so we wound up getting in one more weekend. This is on Standard at Stowe above the Tyro intersection. Lee has never been able to skin in her Garmonts without getting blisters, despite remolding the liners several times. I finally bought her some Intuition ProTour liners and we molded them Friday night. That, and a liberal dose of 2Toms Blister Shield, and she was skinning pain-free. She was so happy, as you can see.

Good for Lee!! And she looks real happy.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Thu May 16, 2019 8:01 am

Thanks Biff. Lee had her best ski season in years, thanks to a Stowe pass and flexible midweek work hours. I think she got more powder days than I did.
Dirk

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics