• Advertisement

Game on!

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Game on!

Postby Bob T » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 pm

Impossibly nice tour this evening. It was light (kind of) until 8pm!

Bob T

Postby Dirk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 am

Nice Bob! I think I know the spot. :)
The weekend's looking pretty decent. I haven't been out in shirtsleeves yet this season.
Dirk

Postby benny » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am

This is really a great shot, worthy of gracing one of Mad River's daily emails or the website.

Spring bump skiing and apres ski beers in the sun are among life's great pleasures. I'm looking forward to this weekend in the MRV

Dirk wrote:......... She was skiing bumps in Cat Bowl and Canyon better than she has in her life. So much fun.

benny

Postby RobRox » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm

From the same day as the Ramond Cataract avvy:

My little test pit in GOS revealed that slalomming around the larger patches of windslab and sking the glazed sugar of the sun warmed bed surface was the way to go. (The thin wind slabs, 1-8 inches, could easily fracture and were not well bonded to the crust. That 6-8 inches of strudy crust was sitting on 4-6 inches of sugared snow, which sat on a broken crust layer. 2-4 inches thick. Having learned what I wanted, I stopped there and refilled the pit.)

Bluebird at start with a few whispy clouds later on. The crust picked up a reflective sun crust that peeled away beautifully on each turn. The thin slabs broke off corners and edges but didn't cut loose.

961_TracksSmall.jpg
The skinny gully next to #1 had, on many previous attempts, kicked my butt. Not so yesterday.
961_TracksSmall.jpg (164.03 KiB) Viewed 138 times

We went over to Hermit Lake through the Graham Link Carwash. Andrew took a run up and down Hilman's while I waited on the sunny deck at Hojo's. The Sherby was very nice, fully covered too. One note, the wave just after Dead Man's Turn is getting big, take it easy off that turn.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Dirk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:25 am

Nice Rob! I was riding lifts at Stowe this weekend, but yesterday afternoon I did continue up the Toll Road to the top of the Nose. There were a few creamy turns from the radio towers back down to the road, but it was more about being up on top by myself. Looking north to the Chin you can see that most of the summit lines are almost melted out, but the snowpack on the ski trails is deep. We'll be skiing till Cinco de Mayo for sure.

Dirk

Postby RobRox » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 pm

Grham Link partly trimmed back. Between GOSST and 3700' the shell-pant rippers, face-whacks and the back-of-neck snow-dumpers have been removed. That's about 1/4 of the GL length. The blown in snow was delightful on the way back down. The crusty highspots were, umm, "edgeable".

The rest of it is a carwash, mainly due the the extra deep snow cover. Since it is supposed to provide quick access for non-mechanized response to trouble calls, it should not be a tiring brush-fight to traverse.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Previous

Return to General Topics