• Advertisement

Summertime

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Summertime

Postby Dirk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:52 am

When it's hot out, go to where it's cool - In this case, the Lafayette Ridge. I met friends in Lincoln and we spotted a car at the Flume trailhead. Then we walked from Lincoln Woods up the Osseo Trail to Mts. Flume and Liberty, and out via Liberty Springs. The congratulatory selfie shows Lafayette and Garfield in back, with Owl's Head in the foreground. I spend most of my time in the Greens, and am put off by the crowds and the general cheesiness of the towns in my home state of New Hampshire. But there's no denying that, from a purely vertical standpoint, the Whites kick the Greens' ass.

Dirk

Re: Summertime

Postby RobRox » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 am

Fun picture!
Love that ridge walk.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby benny » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:35 am

That looks like a sweet hike. About how long does it take start to finish at a moderate pace?
benny

Postby Dirk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 pm

benny wrote:That looks like a sweet hike. About how long does it take start to finish at a moderate pace?

Well, we hit the trail at around 9:30 - 9:45 and limped out of the woods around 4:00. But Nathan was doing some field work that required a side trip north on the AT, and we discovered about 1.5 miles in that nobody had a key for the return vehicle (you would think that with two doctorates and a J.D. between us this should not have happened), so Becca ran back to the car to get it, which slowed her down toward the end. I was definitely the slowest of the three. Barring misadventure and factoring in a half hour on top for lunch and selfies, I'd say five to six hours is reasonable.

The Osseo trail is mellow by White Mountain standards, save for a half mile where you gain almost a thousand feet.
Dirk

Postby edgeworker » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:45 am

Nice. I try to do the Pemi loop every fall. Love it in there. I camp at Hancock and hike from there so I come back to a tent, cooler & an excellent swimming hole instead of a drive home. 2 day hike with a stay at Garfield ridge
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Postby Bob T » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:56 am

Wonderful pic! Love that hike. Especially the Osseo stairs/ladders and then the exposure on Flume (which I will ski one day, I swear!). Dirk, I'm surprised we didn't get another entry in your summit beers of New England series. :)

It is indeed crazy hot. Coming from upstairs in my house, the kitchen feels cool - even though the kitchen is 82F!

The CT river yellow iris are two weeks late. They're just now in full swing.

Fun story from yesterday. Took the deer fly attractors (dogs) for a run in the morning.

Encountered a through hiker at the TH shown above.
"Do you know where the AT is?"
"You're on it! It goes up there, bang a left, then you'll see a sign for the trail. Are you a Northbounder?"
"Yup! I'm from Georgia!"
"Welcome to the beautiful White Mountains!"
"I'm so excited!"

I can only imagine how mesmerizing the above treeline portions of the Whites are to a mostly green-tunnel-bound through hiker.

I'm currently up to mouse #28 in Project No You Can't All Live Here Too.

A couple of pics from last Thursday.

Bob T

Postby capecodtele » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Since you are Have-a-heart trapping the mice, how do you know its not the same ones over and over again? Relocation to a distant locale? :P
capecodtele

Postby Bob T » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:32 pm

Relocating to a mile away. Doesn't seem possible for them to return. Roads/brooks and importantly, other people's homes are in between. :)

Btw, cctele, your Victory Loop PLUS East Mountain route described in the other thread is extra super insane!
Bob T

Postby Dirk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Bob T wrote:Wonderful pic! Love that hike. Especially the Osseo stairs/ladders and then the exposure on Flume (which I will ski one day, I swear!). Dirk, I'm surprised we didn't get another entry in your summit beers of New England series. :)

No beer. It would have been warm as bathwater by the time I got to Liberty. There was a cooler in the van, though. :D Bob, I love that photo of the trees and mist.

The views into the Pemi really made me want to get back in to Garfield and the Bonds. I think I need to buy some new knees first though.
Dirk

Postby Biff » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Bob T wrote:Relocating to a mile away. Doesn't seem possible for them to return. Roads/brooks and importantly, other people's homes are in between. :)

Btw, cctele, your Victory Loop PLUS East Mountain route described in the other thread is extra super insane!

Years ago, when I cared about the little critters, I used have a hearts. But I just couldn't seem to get rid of all the mice. So i finally got some spray paint and painted their backs green then set them free about a half mile away like I had been doing. Lo and behold within a few days I started catching green mice in my have a hearts.

Now at my camp I just crush them with traps. I think I'm up to over 60 since March. Unless Stephen King was on to something in that cemetery book these are all brand new mice. Guaranteed...
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Go Fish » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:38 pm

When you need to cool off...head to the water. It was 90+ at my house while we were enjoying 75 F and catching big fish!

Go Fish

Postby edgeworker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:46 am

WOW! Smart man
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Postby Bob T » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:22 am

That fish is crazy gorgeous! Was missing the ocean walking the dogs this morning thinking of that pic.

Biff, a friend of mine tagged the mice he caught the same way and proved he re-caught previously released mice. But he was being far too lazy distance-wise. I started at half a mile and then went to a mile plus. I'm also on a first name basis with all my mice. I would notice if the same ones returned. :|

Yesterday morning. Totally digging that the USFS has so far not repaired this road for over a year. No cars.

Another northbounder encounter yesterday. Same TH. Guy was dreading 90 degree heat and a 3500' climb. But there was probably a breeze up top. He stated that he was looking forward to a shower in a hostel on the other side, but I have no clue what other side he was talking about unless he was going to bang out some serious mileage. Which he probably was. On flatter ground these maniacs cover 25 miles a day.
Bob T

Postby Biff » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:01 am

Damn, that fish is HUGE.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Go Fish » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 pm

We catch small ones too. Grandpa gets the assist on this one.

Go Fish

Next

Return to General Topics