• Advertisement

MTB and Roadies - 2018

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: MTB and Roadies - 2018

Postby RobRox » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Bikes rule, 'specially when we having fun.

The new "retirement job" has a variable schedule so my rides and other workouts are not "regular". It'll take a while to adjust. 178 miles so far in June. Add to that three hike to work days: 5hrs, 7+ hrs and 8+ hrs.

As long as I'm breathing, no complaints.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby RobRox » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Hot, humid, 43 miles... before a four hours shift at REI. Maybe a few less miles next time....
RobRox

Postby telehubby » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:45 am

I've been aiming to get out once a week with some success. I'm trying to show Son the Elder some of the local trails as his skill level increases so he doesn't feel like he has to go all the way to KTA.
Son the Elder below Infinity Glade on Chain Link.

I found a nice swimming hole on a ride a couple weeks ago. The Pup liked it!
telehubby

Postby MikeK » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Had a great week last week. Rain, rain, rain early but after it dried out I pounded the trails for 3 days straight (and my legs feel it). No long rides, but all very high intensity.

Been setting PRs every time out and my one riding buddy described one 30mph peak speed descent as "barely hanging on as the front end was rattling around." But he stayed right on my rear wheel.

Have definitely found my limit with this bike though as a few mistakes here and there have put me in my place. Nothing high speed or with bad consequences, but enough to remind me of my actual skill level.

My riding friend had been looking for a second bike for his wife to ride, and wound up going with a carbon Honzo after demoing an AL version. They both liked the bike and he'll likely ride it as well when she isn't (they both ride the same size). He's been riding a Trek Procaliber 9.8 (really, really light XC race bike) and he was impressed with what the Honzo could do. He seemed to be climbing just as well and said he felt a lot more confident on the down (see his previous quote above).
MikeK

Postby oldschool » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:44 am

Despite doing some riding this season, I'm generally behind on my conditioning goals as always (read, made no real progress). I almost bailed on the promise I made to myself to ride the ADK Ididaride each year since I did the first one when I turned 50. A windy 50 miler with a good amount of hills that I rode a week before the ride left my butt and hands in enough pain or numbness that it made me wonder if I could handle 75. When I ride I seldom take breaks off the bike, but the Ididaride has four rest stops, of which the first three I use (last one is 10 miles before the end and a lot of folks skip it - mostly I think it is there to help those who are just barely going to make it) and I forgot the effect that a few minutes of walking around off the bike does. So this past Saturday night I put the bike on the Westfalia and drove out to near the start and settled into the back to grab some sleep before the morning - up at 5:30 for the 7 am registration and 8:30 am start. Happened to run into my daughter and her boyfriend the evening before the ride driving back from a quick overnight backpack in the mountains and we discovered/checked out a brewpub that is right along the way to our commute to the mountains and skiing - Copper City Brewing in Rome, NY. We sampled their beers and I completed my carbo loading that evening with some other sandwiches and stuff.

The ride went surprisingly well - weather was great, some minor head winds in two spots but nothing serious at all and lots of sun. Met a bunch of nice folks and enjoyed the post race bbq picnic and beers. My goal for this year was to finish - my time turned out to be 5 minutes faster than the first year I rode it and 8 minutes slower than last year's time. It was about what I expected and I was glad it was not slower than the first time I rode it. One minor difference this year, first year I had a hybrid which was running 32 mm Continental tires that were fairly narrow in profile with a flat pattern across the tire top - that bike also climbed a little better than my Diverge due to the additional front ring. Last year I had more conditioning and 30 mm Espoir slicks on the bike. Last fall I figured I'd tap out my bike shop's discount on stuff bought in the first month and picked up two 28mm tires figuring I'd make the switch to them at some point - those tires are All Conditions - been riding them for the past two weeks now and I feel like they might be actually slower than the 30 mm Espoirs. I have a set of 25 mm slicks that came with my wife's bike and which we replaced with 28s sitting in the basement for when I want to set my next PR on this ride.

Post ride and bbq I spent the evening taking a quick dip in a lake to rinse the road dirt off, and then explored a road that I'd not been on before - there is a dirt road that runs between the towns of Inlet and Indian Lake across the area known as the Moose River Plains - this road is where the ADK Black Fly Challenge race is held each spring. It's a great area for gravel grinding biking, there are some trailheads I passed and there are literally a ton of primitive campsites along the road, many of which have an outhouse - there are some that don't but have an adjacent site with one or nearby. No showers etc and the road is pretty prohibitive to RVs {actually I think they are banned from the area, come to think of it). Drove in there and found a nice campsite, settled in and was asleep by 9:30. Drove out the next morning and back home. Looking forward to getting back there.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby Go Fish » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:46 am

I snuck in 20 road miles between first light and oppressive heat. I am officially sick of hot and humid. It is way too much for a fat white kid like me. I look like I spent the last hour riding through a sprinkler. Dew points in the mid 70's are for the birds. I can't wait for fall. 75 degrees with a dew point in the 40 is what I need...

Better yet, 15 degrees and snowing 2" an hour
Go Fish

Postby MikeK » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:54 am

Go Fish wrote: It is way too much for a fat white kid like me.

I feel that. I've been riding early when the humidity has been up around 100% and it's killing me. I'm soaked within the first 30min.

It's cooler, but I think I actually do better when it's 10 degrees hotter and 50% humidity. At least then I get some cooling from evap.

Did one of my favorite MTB rides today. It's fairly flat, only 700' over 7 miles (I thought it was more, but that's what my gps says) but it's really rugged and old-school, which I really like.

What was really great is this was my first ride with the carbon bike in this kind of stuff and I was... well... pleasantly surprised. It didn't rattle my teeth out and felt really composed. It was eating roots like nothing. Even though it's a slightly more aggressive geo, it really feels the best on this type of XC terrain where speeds are fairly low and there's a lot of pedaling. It feels a lot better than my steel bike here. A lot of the terrain I ride regularly has some of this, but more awkward, janky kinds of stuff and big hits and higher speeds, which require a lot more finesse on a HT.
MikeK

Postby benny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:06 am

I went out early yesterday morning without a plan. I really just wanted to stretch my legs but it was such a beautiful day for cycling that I ended up exploring a bit. There were several long flats, lots of gravel and a large climb (on gravel).

Top of the Roxbury Gap where road changes from gravel on the east side over to silky smooth asphalt on the west..

A bit of the road on my descent.
benny

Postby Dirk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Nice Benny. That climb up the east side can be a female dog on road tires, depending how loose the gravel is. Not too proud to say that I have walked portions of it.
Dirk

Postby benny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Dirk wrote:Nice Benny. That climb up the east side can be a female dog on road tires, depending how loose the gravel is. Not too proud to say that I have walked portions of it.

I know what you mean. Right now it's in very good shape, pretty consistently firm. In a few spots the best route was riding on the downhill/oncoming side of the road. Light Sunday a.m. traffic made that ok to do.
benny

Postby RobRox » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:42 am

Dirk wrote:Nice Benny. That climb up the east side can be a female dog on road tires, depending how loose the gravel is. Not too proud to say that I have walked portions of it.
Yup! I stopped to recover three times a few years back and that in spite of weaving to ease the angle when sight lines and surface allowed. That was with a 32 cog and in the 34 chainwheel. The bike sports a 34 cog now and is almost two pounds lighter, thanks to a groupset upgrade and lighter tires....probably have to stop for rest anyway :)
RobRox

Postby Pinnah » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 am

Rob and Benny, I'm running a 110x74 triple set up as a double with a chain guard in the outer position and 44x28 rings. I've run 42x24 and may return to that soon. That's the set up I used for the Bebe Rd/Sandwhich Notch loop I did a few years ago. Limiting factor was rear tire traction, not gearing. Oh, I run a 30 or 32 rear cog, but have run 34s on many occasions.

Me? I'm down to one bike as neuromas and other foot issues have reduced my riding to short rambling and errands. Great to see the stoke here though.

Have either of you guys tried a 650B conversion for gravel? I'm giving it serious consideration....
Dave "Pinnah" Mann
Pinnah

Postby benny » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:50 am

Pinnah wrote:Have either of you guys tried a 650B conversion for gravel? I'm giving it serious consideration....

Interesting question. I have not pondered this specifically yet. The orange Trek (above) is on asphalt for 95% of my mileage.
My 1980 Bridgestone Kabuki might be a good candidate for a gravel-type conversion as it needs new wheels anyway. Right now it simply hangs out in the garage awaiting some sort of revelation on my part. I’ll start exploring this one. Thanks

Morton’s neuroma is the bane of my existence in all seasons, it severely restricts skiing, hiking, biking. I just switched my Trek to Speedplay pedals. These allow a the cleat mount to be shifted much farther back than my old Time pedals. While not a fix, it does seem to delay the severe pain for an hour or so.
benny

Postby RobRox » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:48 pm

+1 for Speedplay pedals. I started with the basic black Zero CroMo but now I'm using the X-2 Stainless. My mostly-road endurance bike sports 700x28c Conti GP 4 seasons so I'm often riding dirt roads w/o much concern.

Usually I take my my rigid hybrid (700x40c) for the gravel rides, with crank bros pedals (which I use on the FS 29er as well)
RobRox

Postby MikeK » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Birthday ride:

Went out to one of my favorite places and got lost (literally and figuratively) a little bit. I hadn't been out here yet this season, so it felt good even though I was deathly slow.
MikeK

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics