• Advertisement

What's your favorite drink?

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: What's your favorite drink?

Postby Biff » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 pm

oldschool wrote:Could start a new thread but there are only about 10 of us reading the forum right now anyway so I don't think we're doing too much damage here in the off season - especially if the drink recipes stay included.

Nice you had a good morning - I've been super lazy and have not gotten out other than trout fishing down at our cabin. Need to do some bass fishing now. Perhaps later this afternoon. Love it when you manage to figure out where they are and they are biting.

Here is the Sangria recipe from Wegman's (our regional supermarket) which my wife swears by:

3 btls (750 ml each) red wine, preferably Spanish such as Rioja
1 can (12 oz) lemonade or limeade concentrate (Frozen Foods)
1 cup brandy
1 cup triple sec
3 lemons, sliced
3 limes, sliced
3 oranges, sliced
1 Liter Sparkling Water

I might up the oranges to 4 and drop the lemons and limes to 3 each (at least the limes) as eating the oranges is a nice part of the experience

I may never recover from this thread.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby oldschool » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:16 am

Lots of superb information in this thread -

Biff, I think you'll find that sangria recipe to be a winner - we've made it many times for parties or weekends with friends.

It did occur to me though that telemarkers should really be limited to the Old Fashioned, shouldn't they? :roll:
oldschool
oldschool

Postby RobRox » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 pm

oldschool wrote:...
It did occur to me though that telemarkers should really be limited to the Old Fashioned, shouldn't they? :roll:

LOL
Champagne Deutz floating a strawberry would be lovely with a breakfast buffet on the East Snowfields in May
Had this one some years back, with Strawbs:
Last edited by RobRox on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Go Fish » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm

This one is more complicated and requires some specialty stuff (that you can't buy in nips) but it is really tasty, really potent and really good on a hot summer night.

In a martini shaker, add the juice of one lemon and about 2" of diced, seedless English cucumber (the ones in shrink wrap in the produce section of the grocery store you go to)
Mash the cucumber with a muddle, or any blunt object in your kitchen that will allow you to break the cucumber into little pieces
Add 4 oz of Hendrick's Gin (or whatever you have), one ounce of elderflower liquor (St. Germain $$$ or St. Elder $$) and one ounce of simple syrup
Fill the martini shaker with ice and shake the crap out of the mixture for at least 30 seconds
Strain the shaken mixture into two good sized martini glasses, garnish with a cucumber spear and enjoy.

I'm not sure what the name of this one but it doesn't matter. it is really good.
Go Fish

Postby oldschool » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 am

Mr. Fish, the drink you describe is a bit like some kind of popular Pimms recipe the Brits like and it is nice. The cucumber thing is a good way to go for sure. I bought a different Pimms that was blackberry and elderflower - so far I've not found it to be that nice but I've been lazy just trying it with the odd seltzer or maybe a san pellegrino.

I gave your Moscow Mule recipe a shot - that is great - I think it may be a new post-bike favorite.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby Bob T » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:24 am

I'm pro cucumber with vodka and pro elderflower tonic with Gin, so...GF's cocktail sounds like it's worth a shot. Or two.

St. J. Kingdom Taproom tap list a little while back. Many amazing beers here.

Cambridge, VT white that is quite good.
Bob T

Postby Go Fish » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:03 pm

My wife and daughter went to Saratoga Springs, NY with another wife and daughter while I was fishing with my buds. The two elder girls had a drink at a hipster place that they both loved. I was presented with a cell phone picture of the drink menu with the description of said drink centered in the frame. My clues were: beet juice, gin, yellow chartreuse and citrus. After a bit of trial and error this is what passes as the libation that they raved about...it is really different and really good.

2 oz Hendricks Gin
1.5 oz Yellow Chartreuce
1 oz beet juice
1 oz lime juice

Pour all of that into a shaker with a handful of ice cubes and shake it for 15 to 20 seconds. Divide it between two tall glasses filled with ice. Top the glasses off with club soda and stir. Garnish with a couple of basil leaves that have been wrinkled and laid flat (wrinkling opens up the leaves to get the smell going).

Hendrick's and Yellow Chartreuse are both expensive so this is a drink that will take a bit of faith...
Go Fish

Postby edgeworker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 am

1 12oz seltzer
1 envelope of Emergen-C
mix well
serve cold
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Postby recedinghairline » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Bell’s finally broke into the MA market
Nice lawn mower beer

recedinghairline

Postby Go Fish » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:58 pm

I grew up in MI and went to school at Michigan State. About once a month I would walk the dorm halls, take orders and make the drive to Kalamazoo to fill up the back of my pick up with Bells beer. Back then the only place you could get it was at the brewery. Two Hearted is one of my all-time favorite beers.
Go Fish

Previous

Return to General Topics