• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby greatgt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 am

Serious hardpack!......Blue skies....Warm camp....Cold, ice cold skiing....Glazed hardpack and some, less than an inch of scattered powder.....Just as hard skiing out as going in....At one point on the way out here comes Telekid and Teleking....heading down a low angle hardwood slope holding on for dear life....That kind of skiing....Should have seen the big grins as they flew by....outta control....finding little devices to save themselves from the welcoming trees....Telekid wrapped a pork sirloin in bacon and we cooked it on the stove with onions and peppers....Yum! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 am

Snowing hard when we exited the jeep....Bout 8 inches soon to be 10 and finally over a foot....Crust still in play but if you headed the skis down and kept them flat no problem unless you plopped into a dip...Many explosions and face shots as the snow wanted to explode as if it were part of the powder party....Took a different area to head them down and we were all glad we did....Moderate was the sweet spot and the goods were there....Lots of snow flying and it kept on dumping...Today will be special but will cc with wife....Might get some in the afternoon but for sure tomorrow......TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:02 am

Craftsbury Outdoor Center had silk for snow....When getting my skis on noticed I had lost the front screw on my e99's...The binding kinda worked with pressure on it but had to head back early...My wife had a good ski and we went home where I changed skis and headed up to the Highlands...Teleknob had @ 14 inches of dynamite fast powder...Even on the moderate side the skis were fast...Dropped into the North side and didn't stop as the few hundred yards flew by...Sunny...snow on branches....Wind blowing....Eye shots...meandered up the ridge and took a shot here and there...Saw where Telekid had done some turns...and what beautiful turns they were, on the steep side....Cruised out...Oh yeah...TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:50 am

Thanks for update...here is a photo from a few weeks ago.
Attachments
632A3C59-5C27-4FE7-BE53-B9B59796B83A.jpeg
632A3C59-5C27-4FE7-BE53-B9B59796B83A.jpeg (150.18 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:00 am

Cruised up to the East side of Little yesterday....Waxed the bones with extra blue and it was good....Down was very good and today will head back up with the boys.....not sure what the snow will be like though as we had a softening with a bit of rain yesterday....or...did we?....Coulda been all snow, don't know!!!!! Sooo deep out there Rock and Teleknob is just socked in with deeeep snow...Get back up here!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Saturday....rode bicycle about a mile to the store for beer and cigarettes; short stop at the pool hall for a draft.. 85 degrees, light breeze. Then went to swimmin hole...fishen a little...followed by a band at the local tiki hut bar....miss the skiing...
Attachments
4CF9DA00-581C-46A2-99A3-D8CBA57BC483.jpeg
4CF9DA00-581C-46A2-99A3-D8CBA57BC483.jpeg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:02 pm

Sooo, the last storm left @ 2 feet of powder which was quickly hammered by the sun on the South and West sides....The "Boys broke up to the Top of Little Mountain and got some mid winter skiing on about 16-18 inches of powder....Toward the bottom the snow was beginning to soften up into mashed potatoes....In the Highlands the East side in shade still had powder but you had to stay in the darkest and most shaded area....On the fringes of that zone is heavy wind blown powder with crust raising it's nasty head.....Got some decent turns and arcs yesterday and unless really on the ball....of the foot....the snow just wanted to set you up for for laughs...Still being out there was the ticket with cold windy forest with total sun...Temps in the 12o range...Base in the range of 7-8 feet!!!!!! Decent and makes for different topography...Some 15-18 foot ledges are now totally rounded and show no stone!!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:47 am

Still deep out there and powder remains......But Because of my noggin I find caution is to much infused in the skiing....Went to a moderate zone and made many skinny arcs even in deep and sometimes slow powder....No matter just head them down and the speed builds up and then a long rounded arc to the next small drop which allows another great feeling arc...The 109's really go! Have found the best stance for me on these skis is a high stance with the classic fore foot forward of the back ski and weight in the middle of the two...This allows the "Rocker" to engage with just subtle weight distribution on the camber....The glider part of the ski engages with no resistance because of the camber....Slightly press on the camber and the ski starts to come around.....Today will hit the steeps and see how I handle that....Don't want any hard falls but if any of you saw what's waiting......It has to be skied....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:24 am

Used the Rebounds yesterday....88-60-78.....Short at 179....In the wax track up they slipped a bit but really did well with a thin line of blue wax down the center....Several times when my mind wandered they went straight into the banks on the side....That does not happen with the 109's.....They were a bit slower than the skinnies but came around when on the steeps.....Took it down the steepest part and in that environment they were great turners....The 109's couldn't come around as fast....The difference on the down is one the Rebounds are turning machines and the 109's are arcers and build up lots of speed compared to the Rebounds....Total blue sky with the sun making beautiful heat and it was a wonderful ski....TM
greatgt

Postby Tele kid 2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:07 am

Nice to have a variety of skis for a variety of conditions.
Tele kid 2

Postby greatgt » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:11 am

So Kingdom Tele Boys.....After our ski yesterday....Headed down to Mountain Opp's and saw Don.....Decided I only live once and he sold me some wide and new objectives.....Got my first taste of plastic and some switchbacks....Took them to Little mountain and melted the snow up there....TM
greatgt

Postby North816 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:12 pm

plastic boots! what's next Tman...you going to try snowboarding? :lol:
North816

Postby greatgt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:42 am

After setting up April1 my wife came down....Look...LOOK a big moose .....I fell for it!!!! She got me good!....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 am

The Highlands are chocked with snow! Least amounts @ 4 feet....On up to six feet and it's still dome covered.....The corn was sweet and the ski excellent....Had onions...Brats.....Steak....All good.....I headed out first wondering how the down would go...From camp shot down a little steep and knew it would be good.....Really head the skis down and maneuver them into openings....shoot it.....angle the skis into a new opening and just grin the whole way....Teleking and Telekid.....(TKK) went up to the top and swayed on down to a short narrow ledge lined area that can be skied down and up the "U" shaped sides and had a cloud like ride.....(will have to go back up and hit it.....Played the first Horseshoes up at Snowshoe Donny's....Some slop....some snow and ice....but lots of fun....Good day of being out and about....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:33 am

Nice ski!...Two inches of POWDER... in the afternoon!!!!! So many decent turns....Wonderful riding.....Tons of base still rounded....11 April and all is well!!!! TM
greatgt

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report