• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby greatgt » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 am

6-7 inches in the openings 3-5 in the woods of fluffy powder...Best skiing is in fields and the snow is very fast....In the woods the crust will still throw you if your not on your game but with speed skinny skis kinda blow right through it....How good is it to get a floaty feeling again??? Heh....FEELS GREAT!!!!!!!!!.....Might get back my Jeep today after I blew up the Transfer case and drive shaft....Bummer!.....But it gives me instant access......AND used my wifes Honda whatever and it almost blew me up...Heading to Boot's place for the ski when the car started doing stupit thingers.....like....the computer telling me the wheels were slipping then the damn thing started doing it's thing over riding my instructions...like HAMMER the damn thing....Well the damn computer won and there I was on a narrow road heading uphill in 6-7 inches of powder on a two inch ice crust on boiler...If the stinkin computer had shut down I'd be at the destination....THEN....I started backing down trying to stay in my tracks not knowing...Damn triangle comes on as I lose control of the stinkin car and the lame computer takes over....Hammer the brakes and the car is accelerating down this stinkin road...with a five foot ditch on one side and good size trees on the other on a single track with a computer that doesn't compute except for Ding a lings in some mild wintah place....Jam the thing from reverse to drive and nothing but still going way to fast...Bump the edges of the snow and finally the stinking car comes to a stop....Repeat cause I'm pissed!...Same result....Pull into a pull off...THEN I go skiing and it was good!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby North816 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:12 pm

my VW's "traction control" does this as well, as I discovered while sliding sidways out of the Smugg's parking lot and blocking a line of cars. Fortunately there's a button to turn it off - I have to remember to hit the button whenever there's snow on the road
North816

Postby Telerock » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:17 pm

Ah-yup...had to show that button to tele-roll; so he would stop driving into the ditch home from my place...
Telerock

Postby Fisheater » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:25 pm

I cannot stand traction control. I can drive just fine on snow, so I certainly do not need help on wet roads. So if it doesn't work on snow and ice, and I can drive just fine on snow and ice. So by extension, I certainly do not need it on wet roads. Stop putting it in vehicles!!! Instead cars are getting more autonomous features.
Someday Teleman the only way to get up you mountains to go skiing will be by foot. Your smart car will decide that it is really just to dangerous to go up those roads
Fisheater

Postby Telerock » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:12 am

A-yup; again... spent the last two days in my canoe and in the magroves dragging out these tons of debris from Irma.... goodfolk down here!
Attachments
IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg (139.46 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:58 am

Have to look up the stupid switch!!!!!....God they make those cars for??????? Thinking they are dangerous!!!!! Got the Wrangler back and didn't I get the snow flying with all four wheels spinning the way they are supposed to....Yesterday was 2-4 inches of fast powder and lots of traverses and a turn to stop...Crushable breakable crust then the boiler....All in all if you can run the skis flat the turns are good but if the slope is steep at all the crust takes you on a ride.....Telekid did the same on a steeper Mountain range than the one I was on.....Rock good people are found everywhere.....Got the chains on the small tractor and now we can drop some trees...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Yesterday and today were wildly different....We got a bit more snow...like less than an inch and KA-POW we had linked turns and floaty arcs...Telekid and I speculated but......Telekid was a bit slow today but got revved up when he got to the top of an orb breathing in clouds....The backcountry is healing itself and those bomb craters from the rain storms are now kinda fun to fly into and "pop" back up and out....Fingers crossed for tomorrow....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 am

Got to just below TK2 a high ridge camp badly in need of repair....4-6 inches of fast powder on crust on top of boiler....The 109's went up like we all dream about and with no pack this oldie felt pretty spry.....Dropped in and where the slope was relatively moderate and the skis could be run flat the snow flew and I felt the beginning of float....but....when on a bit more steep and turning the back ski would push all the snow off and the crust would be felt...All in all a wonderful ski with tons of arcs and tiny mono tracks left....Last night while nodding off saw the weather report...It had shown 3-6 for a day and the map was all blue...One eye open and saw tons of pink....PINK?......both eyes opened....Damn what was this 8-14.....Holy sh....... Be heading out soon and it's really coming down...Heavy!...Don't know but something is happening....Temp is 30o....TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Thinking of driving up this weekend; maybe in time for Sunday brunch in the hills. Possibly to ADKs for MLK weekend?
T-rock
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 am

Rock on Telerock! Broke the short way up to Teleknob and it was good...Never felt any crust and the snow was piling up...10 inches here...7 inches there.....Depends on wind and I can say....North-East is loaded....Figure Kurt headed up to Little today but I have broken Teleknob so will take advantage of that.....Hit the North side today and look forward to blasting some steeps....I assume you have your boots with you.....You can stay here with a bunch of beer in the fridge and your old Pool table!!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Spending Sat. Night at Tle-rolls. Will meet you Sunday am- usual time..T kid and wheels will letme know where by text. If roll comes alone, will likely spend Sunday night woth him; but would appreicare a room Teusday-Weds. plan on Adks later in the week. ARC ON!
Telerock

Postby Telerock » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Have bbots, skis, etc. with me
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:21 am

Figure on going to Little Mountain.....We are back into the steep and deep syndrome....North side of Teleknob down to the bottom of the gap was sweet but short....Figure Little has as much new powder but up in the Highlands the snow with base is DEEEEEPPPP....Should be below zero skiing Sunday so .....Hope Boots has a fire going!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:52 am

Man...Alpin glow on every hill in sight.....Last two days of skiing have been really good....Sat hit the Highlands and did a short run for turns...Crystal out there....Shinning shimmering....No dun areas were cold and dark but there was always crystal sunlight...Skis tore down in the deep powder and when I turned in tight to a large Sugar maple didn't quite slant my upperbody and shoulder met the tree....at an inopportune time....so the spin began....leaning out over the steeps another big Sugar was looming....in this eye blink there came a realization that nothing was going to work so ended up on my back under the cold blanket and it was BELOW ZERO cold!!!!!!! Took a while to get out of this mess upside down...skis up slope with theem twisted around said Maple....Finished the ski with a flourish and headed back up to ski the moderate side with long lazy arcs........Yesterday....ZOWIE....Damn.....went to Little Mtn. looking up the Hill into the dark zone where the Sun usually doesn't shine...Three thingers....Almost at the top Alpin glow showed through some openings and the picture of a telemarker could have made some money...er...forgot the camera.....On the top ridge the "dark" zone was all blue...Have some of this from another time....but a Bowl of blue...Damn!....As we started to head off the Boys were putting political correct pressure on me....They all were going to hit some steep and deep shots...Do some yo----yoing.....Me after some conversation headed to the East side where the run is about 8-900 verts of dynamite Hardwood....totally open with a zillion openings....tons of bowls.....moderate and steep if you want....and I did.....Best sustained deep powder run in a long time...It was just wonderful....Totally what I had been dreaming that it would be....Beer and stuff back at the heated "Penthouse"....Boots had a big party of totally flying telemarkers on his hand...TM
greatgt

Postby Fisheater » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Didn't need a camera Teleman, your words paint the picture, a really cool pic. Glad you're getting the goods.
Fisheater

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report