• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby greatgt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 am

Probably get some plastic wood for the 99's with epoxy...That should do it....Scored a cobbled boot from the cobbler in Barre...Very pleased!!!! Have a good set of double buckle boots with three lace up....Hoping that will get me through till I'm a snowball flying.....Little Anna would figure that out with a big smile!!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby North816 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:37 pm

was it this? looks like a great place, there are only a few good ones left in all of New England

Boisvert's Shoe Repair

https://www.facebook.com/boisvertshoerepair
North816

Postby greatgt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:21 am

Very nice people...They hand sowed the boot together and it looks good...Might try them out soon....Broke a couple of miles out into the Highlands yesterday....Just a beautiful Hardwood forest in it's glory....Conditions had changed up there since Telekid Teleking and I were up there....You were there North!....Very quiet....TM
greatgt

Postby North816 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:29 pm

sounds nice! It looks like we're going to avoid a big rain event this weekend which is cool! and then get more snow next week. I'm back in knee-rehab mode for a couple weeks unfortunately, on my way to gym right now. :oops:
North816

Postby greatgt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:38 am

Good luck on the knee.....If I use "Heavy skis" and have to lift them in dense trail making the knee begins to hurt....Mostly it's about lifting the ski and the weight tends to initiate pain...Lucky me beer tends to lessen it!!!!!! However had a brew to many for the out and \was a bit wobbly on the down and out...Finally a looped whip caught me unaware in the flats and I ate snow...Had to take off the skis to get up....Bummer had ripped a Rotta three pin right up under the boot and one side of the binding was no longer attached to the other...Ooooop's....When we got to the car saw that the front of one ski had peeled away making for a snow plough type ski with an inch of snow packed between ski and top pad....Perhaps it wasn't the beer?.....All in all could finally force some turns in grabby crust with several inches of very fast surface.. not to bad....Snowshoe Donny brought a beautiful saw up from home and we went GREEN and hand sawed lots of wood so camp is now nicely heated with back up wood....Food was so so yesterday but camp is back to being a great place to warm up, cook, relax then put pins to holes and ski short ridges for lots of fun....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:56 am

Yesterday decided to check out Little Mountain but had destroyed most of my equipment that I would normally use....So Went to the shed and found some double cambered still 210 skinny Asnes and they worked well on the up....last years wax worked well whatever it was....The up trail had been used a few hours earlier and the track showed a moderately wide ski...Figured Telekid had gone up and over on Rossi 90's.....Not me!....The skis didn't want to turn all that well so rode them to turn out teles and a linked turn here and there...Snow lies deep with @ 3 inches of powder on top of 16 inches serious base....Wil head up to the Highlands and see if the South east side has more powder as Telekid indicated....Going North in the Highlands where the snow is always deeper and am always surprised by that...Long wide Logging road goes for several miles with some decent hardwood skiing here and there...Biff, good luck....Your a good and decent person and you can only do the best you can....TM
greatgt

Postby North816 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm

could duct-tape have helped? if duct tape doesn't fix it I'm generally screwed in the BC.

incoming warm weather, looks like I have 2 more weeks to swim laps for rehab
North816

Postby Telerock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 pm

I bring zip ties and wire as well as tape.
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:43 am

Actually had put duct tape on the skis a while back...That and the glue didn't work....Also figured it out after getting dumped by those lethal whips.....Two days ago before this rain used my way old 215 e99's and on the up were fantastic....light and cruisers....Went up into Wheelock Area and at a junction of the logging road headed off south west to a knob that had been logged 20 years back....lightly logged!.....Whips were dying and many openings with steep to moderate inclines.....kinda knew that the only way the 99's would turn was with mucho speed....Soooo found openings and they took off and were just as fast as I thought....20-60 foot shots then an arc and slow down...Lots of fun!....Tons of critter tracks thinking Otter where they had slid down some steep shots.....Telekid went up on Little Mountain and got the best turns of December....He shot down some lines on the South side and from the Cathedral hit three fingers....Off to East side and a thousand of dynamite.....Till we get a few Clippers or a dump most of the skiing will probably be low angle for a bit but that means Barton Mountain or the Black hills could be toured....Will see! Teleman
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:35 am

Hope everybody had an excellent Christmas....Sure loved seeing the little ones having a wonderful time....Out back in the gonz the Grinch in the guise of rain hammered our world....8-16 0r more of base but with the ground not frozen......many collapses with sharp dips that can cause trouble anywhere....Took a fast....er....slow trip out to a pond and it wasn't easy....Total base but hard to manipulate.....The absolute best skiing was on the Pond...Skiing the pond!!!! The best!!!! Need snow!!! Bout an inch and a half on the totally frozen crust....Think I'll go there again today and press on to low angle hills and hope for some, heh,flat verts....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:13 am

headed out to Dead Moose Pond again...but....on 215 e99's....It was good...Two and a half inches on hardpack with all the collapsed snow and all...but....the 99's flew over about anything....On the ice I went to the far end where the ice was talking making shattering noises and heavier cracks........but with the length of the skis I was able to reach places on the pond and the far end where I entered a peaceful place of Cedar and hummocks....Even though it was around 12o a warming place....Cruised through the Northeast part of the pond looking for evidence of our former way to enter but found nothing....Not many turns but a peaceful interlude in life....TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Sounds about normal for Vt in late December..”good base”..this too, shall pass. Saw this mermaid in The Canel yesterday; she asked for you t-man. Low is 76 degrees tonight. Brrr!
Attachments
C60ABFD8-E94A-4E41-9537-A263E60432EB.jpeg
C60ABFD8-E94A-4E41-9537-A263E60432EB.jpeg (74.35 KiB) Viewed 306 times
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 am

Too warm blooded for me!....Well Rock you were the topic of conversation up at Telecamp.....One thinger....did you leave the orange safety sled up there anywhere?.....Like hidden?.....Telekid...Telewood...Snowshoe Donny and I had some scrumptious Delmonico steaks with a "TON" of cut veggies and beacon to top it all off.....Used the two man saw and cut up lots of wood...2.3 feet at the stake with a hardpack crust and another semi crushable crust on top...Heh....Survival skiing....All watercourses are open if not semi frozen....Early in November we got so much snow but the streams....ponds....and everything else had not frozen....So when the rains came many places just dropped....Here and there are gigantic collapses and anywhere rain ran off big divides....Tough going out there man....However the beer was cold...@8-15 degrees temp not a difficult task....Ski out was survival and this old guy was sucking wind at the end...Coming down was as hard as going up...Oh well! And yes would love to have a Teleparty in the Daks...Might even get Mike to drop by...TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:42 am

I have no clue about the orange sled. Last time I saw it we were hauling wood down from above camp; back towards the route to 3PK. I miss the Sunday brunches and comradery. Death-skiing on ice through whips and trees; not so much. Happy New Year and safe turns to all.
Telerock

Postby MikeK » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:03 pm

Would love to take a trip to the Saranacs, but I don't think that will happen this winter. Things are just too crazy and my MIL is in Florida until March.

I tried one of my boys on skis back in November when we had snow and he HATED it! :lol: I have a lot of work to do...
MikeK

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report