• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby greatgt » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:46 am

Pulled into the Highlands and headed...Early and very quiet....On a high hill beaver pond enjoyed seeing the different colors of blue and green on the ponds surface....Had been waiting to test the 210 Asnes Sondre Telemark ski as it was about the same dimensions as the e99 but seemed a bit stiffer....No matter they worked well and the camber made for easy cruising...Love going into dips and "popping" out as double camber unwinds and enhances the action...Have said that that kind of ski is a blast and any kind of surface is thrilling and yesterday was no exception....Hard surface and very fast with a hint of corn on any south and east facing rise....Birds are back and singing and the green moss is beginning to do it's green thing....Beautiful.....played in an area I haven't hit in a few years and it was good....Still deep out there and that's no April Fools joke...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:00 am

Very quiet Easter ski.... Conditions depending went from some surface corn to hardpack with a need to get your edge....Sometimes good sometimes squirrely... Rebounds are beat with the front screw on both pins lose...Guess that's why I didn't use them for awhile...Kinda forgot!....The double camber is totally beat and eve3n a flea could bend them...My go to e99 has front screw problems....Down to broken back 109's and Noodles which don't get used in anything but bottomless powder....Did ski some skinny Asnes...sondre telemark?....Good and stiff and at 210's good cruisers....Up to @ 45 gallons of Maple Syrup and will be boiling soon...Hope everybody had a good Easter...TM
greatgt

Postby MikeK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:53 am

Happy Easter!

MikeK

Postby North816 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:04 pm

those kids are getting big! Happy Easter. I am looking forward to some rebirth as I finally have an orthopedic surgery date.

So TM we finally got you into a pair of Asnes! I just missed getting a pair of those Sondre on ebay a couple years ago.
North816

Postby MikeK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks - they are actually kind of small for 18m olds. Still wearing 12-18 month clothes. They are running everywhere though, but still not so good on natural terrain. Getting strider bikes for them this summer, but I don't think they'll be able to use them much until next year... maybe some in the fall?
MikeK

Postby Fisheater » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:43 pm

MikeK wrote:Thanks - they are actually kind of small for 18m olds. Still wearing 12-18 month clothes. They are running everywhere though, but still not so good on natural terrain. Getting strider bikes for them this summer, but I don't think they'll be able to use them much until next year... maybe some in the fall?

Everybody looks happy and healthy, enjoy! Hope you had a good Easter. Ski season is done here. Fox air shock lost seal over the winter. I guess they are only good for 20 years.
If the wind would stop blowing I could take the canoe out and drag some lures in Lake Huron. Water is cold, but it goes from being a little cold, to too warm really quick
Fisheater

Postby MikeK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Yeah, all healthy! This year was much better than last, we only went to the hospital 2 times and both short visits!

I don't know much about air shocks. Glad I don't have one to deal with one on my bikes. I rebuilt the fork on my HT in February, and went through everything else on the bike, cleaned it, and tuned it. It's ready to go, but doubt I'll ride that bike until May. I expect I'll start back on my rigid bike sometime this week riding rail trails and commuter bike paths until the singletracks dry up.
MikeK

Postby greatgt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:50 am

hey guys, been down at the Sugar House for many hours...to many!....One of the best things about being there is all the youngsters....From recently born to Teens.....What a riot and they all help with gathering...Riding on the trailer with the collecting tank and building fires at their special rock as we boil inside...In fact should be down there soon...Will clean up the rest of the sap today and hope it won't be much more than 6 hours....Then....SKIING....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:51 am

Dream on! 10 and a half hours of boiling and a few more today....That should do it for a day off....Probably one more run then I can get back to skiing....Couple of the young ones made bow and arrows and pierced every box we had down there...They were also honing in on throwing knives into targets and learning to throw hatchets....Beyond that they have drawn off syrup and are always there for collecting....after doing "chores"....Feeding a variety of animals which get slaughtered and sold....The new Vermont homesteaders....Well one goes back to the founding of Craftsbury Vermont....Think his ancestor was thrown out of the church a couple of times for being a free spirit...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:51 am

Wonderful ski yesterday...Bout thirty inches of base with an inch or two of powder and light crust here and there. Blue sky in the AM with zillions of shadows....Somebody drew attention to a track that got us all talking....Followed that track to where it came around a 15 foot ledge where it came around the end of it and arced a beautiful mono mark using all dips and moguhls to fly off and around while always heading down....Mr. or Mrs. OTTER had obviously had a blast riding the landscape to a new feeding place called Dead Moose Pond....Would have loved seeing it "ski" on down that mountain....Have some pictures but am still not able to send anything because the Otter has a lot more ability than me...Skiing was low angle and fun especially when using the natural humps to slow down....speed up....unweigh.....turn....Food was awesome...Steak....Pork....bacon.....onions.....and HIGGINS sauce.....(You can get some at Cabot outlets)....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 am

Totally low expectations for the short ski yesterday....Blue sky and the forest has a rounded look to it...Not angular as the snow has rounded off ten foot ledges and everything cries out....Ski meee..... hardpack with @2 inches of very heavy but fast powder on top.....Just the ticket for low angle turns and turn the short 109's did....Wicked nice and looking back big tracks of deposited snow and my favorite mono marks....Could go anywhere but steep was not nearly as fun as speed up and run the skis flat and turn in those big long arcs around the zillion trees with so many openings....When you least expect it....There it is! TM
greatgt

Postby MikeK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Which Higgins sauce? I was looking and it appears they have two. I'd like to try some of the "Burnt Garlic", but the only place they sell it NY is in Glens Falls. I used to go through there frequently, but I haven't in a few years.
MikeK

Postby greatgt » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 am

Really like them both! He and his wife Liz are boarders and good friends of Kurt (Telekid)....Both are Kingdom Tele Boys...er...You probably saw the food on Ron's site or did you...Could have been on Telekids cell phone...Anyway we also bring Pork Loin for roasting and grilling...That sauce is just the ticket...Will tell KTB Boarder Liz and Tim your interested...He just had an ad put together...Liked that too....TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am

MikeK; how close are you in NY to Saranac Lake? Some of the T-boys say they may ski Mansfield with me circa May 5th; could bring some back as far as Franklin County.
Mid-80s here; hear you’all may be getting more snow!
Old 2014 photo from the kingdom
Attachments
7E4887B7-B2B9-4AF8-B24E-557BE8F4020E.jpeg
7E4887B7-B2B9-4AF8-B24E-557BE8F4020E.jpeg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
Telerock

Postby MikeK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Takes me about 5 hours to get to SL. Tupper/Floodwood area is about 4.5.

We used to go up a few times a year, but we haven't been since the kids. We'll try to go somewhere this year but that might be too far of a drive for them.

Might try to convince a friend to do an overnight with me to Wilmington to ride Hardy road and the Flume trails if my wife will let me go for a couple days. Either way it might be hard to meet up unless you are going to be at your camp all summer - I know right where you are and could stop by on the way. There's gotta be someone who can ship that sauce, although I'm sure I'll survive without it ;)
MikeK

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report