• Advertisement

Montañas Blancas Occidentales '17-'18

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Montañas Blancas Occidentales '17-'18

Postby Dirk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Nice Bob. Every clever New Englander has a come-along in the trunk. :)
Well, I took Town Meeting week off and skied 9 days straight. I ripped groomers, broke trail through pow, and everything in between. Perhaps the highlight of the week was Friday, when we picked up 2 to 4 inches on top of the 8 that fell the day before. I went to a popular touring spot in Stowe and was pleasantly surprised to be the first one up that day.

Once I climbed above the glade pictured above, even the prior day's skin track vanished. Nobody had been up on the ridge in days. This is staring down the barrel of one of my favorite glades. It's hardly a secret, but it requires a two-plus hour skin, so most folks pick lower-hanging fruit. It was all mine.

Pure hero snow. I invited Bob T. on this tour, but he had to work. Maybe another time.

*Disclaimer* This is in the Green Mountains, not the Whites. I apologize for hijacking Bob's thread, but it seemed tangentially related. Hell, it's all skiing.
Dirk

Postby stoneman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Bob, i know a deadfall on Tuckerbrook that tool would be a helpful in shifting.
stoneman

Postby North816 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Look like a great place to ski there Dirk. It's amazing to me how much has been cleared out in northern VT these days, seems like almost every neighborhood has some lines people are skiiing.

this next storm looks like payday, finally the noreasters are doing what they're supposed to do! this one could have more snow on the backside of it too

NEW0001.jpg
NEW0001.jpg (123.85 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
North816

Postby MikeK » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Oh - I'm not opposed to that!

While technically in the 3-5" band, I bet that will be more like 8-10" up at the higher elevations. Looks like Thursday will be my XCD day if this is true!
MikeK

Postby Bob T » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Dirk, what a fantastic looking line with snow to match. Had to laugh when I read "took Town Meeting week off". Love the idea of Town Meeting week when applied to March skiing. Good choice! :)

No worries about posting anything here. Psyched that it's about to snow again!

Stoneman, haven't been over to Tuckerbrook this season. Should head up there, check out some mid-week freshies, and look for the deadfall.
Bob T

Postby benny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Dirk wrote:Well, I took Town Meeting week off and skied 9 days straight. I ripped groomers, broke trail through pow, and everything in between..

Outstanding!

Way to get after it, Dirk.
benny

Postby Dirk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:21 am

Bob T wrote:Dirk, what a fantastic looking line with snow to match. Had to laugh when I read "took Town Meeting week off". Love the idea of Town Meeting week when applied to March skiing. Good choice! :)

My job duties are such that this winds up being a good week to take off, work-wise. Couple that with the Tuesday holiday and the near-certainty of at least one storm in early March, and it just makes sense.
Dirk

Postby telehubby » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Little bit of side country off Cannon.

I'm sure more photos like this will be rolling in

This one is technically in bounds but not on a map (can I say that legally?)
Son the Elder getting ready to choke on cold smoke.
The Telemark nationals were held last weekend at Crotched Mt. and local racer Cory Snyder came back from graduate school in Bozeman to defend his title. He brought fellow teammate Tanner Visnick with him and were supposed to fly back Tuesday. They ended up first and third overall respectively. With nowhere to go because of cancelled flights, they've been ripping Cannon for three days making us mere mortals feel insufficient. As a native westerner Tanner got to enjoy and was impressed by a true nor'easter.

Son the Elder, Cory and Tanner
telehubby

Postby Bob T » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Great sequence of shots, TH. Very cool that you and your son are rubbing elbows with the Telegentsia. Would love to see them ski. :)

Headed over to Tuckerbrook last night for the heck of it. Spoke to a plow guy at the Coppermine TH. He said that 13" had fallen. Quite a bit more than the CT river valley for this storm. We confirmed that total by breaking out the Coppermine to Tuckerbrook cross over trail. DEEP.

Dogs came out of that section wearing pants.

Got to TB and jeezum crow! The snowboarding hordes had plowed it.

Climbed until 9:15pm when we hit the end of our risk leash. Did not encounter Stoneman's deadfall, but we really didn't get that far. Plenty of snow up there, but heck, that trail sure does see a lot of fluffy paving traffic for mid-week. GPS track inserted here cuz it's in Goodmans. N.B.: you won't get towed if you park at the Coppermine TH. You will get towed if you park at the end of the TB trail. BTW, the Coppermine trail was completely broken out with lots-o-traffic extending up into the basin beyond the cross over to TB.
Bob T

Postby MikeK » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Bob T wrote:Image

Wish I had a couple dogs to break trail for me like that...
MikeK

Postby RobRox » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Makes me crazy not being up there! Somebody please go track up the zone!
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby telehubby » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:41 pm

I was invited to check out a friends personal powder stash this morning. It was a nice easy skin up a hiking trail to a cutoff through a glade up to a ridge. One of his friends had set a skin track on Thursday just to the ridge and then came back down. That took him 4 hours. We gained the ridge and dropped into a beautiful birch glade on the other side for first tracks. Back up and then out to the truck in 2.5 hours.

The rest of the family went to Kingdom Trails to check out the nordic there.
Telewife and I finished the day at Ski Hearth Farm here in Sugar Hill. (Sel Hannah's old place.) The Nordic trails were laid out by Morton Trails and are fantastic when there is snow cover. Our local high school even held a race there this year. Wood fired Pizza trailer on Saturdays completes the day. Bob T, they even have dog loops!

Good day all around.
Perhaps a Eustis Ski outing and a beer at Schilling some day this week Bob?
telehubby

Postby Bob T » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Mike, they don't break trail for long. Their favorite move is hanging out on my ski tails. They are super companions though. :)
RR, your woods misses you as much as you miss it. Hope you're back out there soon.
TH, superb shot with Lafayette/Cannon in the background. So glorious these last few days!

This week's evening Mt. Eustis/Schillings availability: Monday and Thursday. TH, do either of those work? Anyone else available? Checked with RR and he can't make it. Dirk, Route 2 express after work? Meet you in St. J. and drive over? Stoneman?

Shots from this week.

Gamecam caught us leaving. Click on the pic for the 10 second video version which comes close to capturing the feeling of the last week in the woods at night.

Chase cam. See what I mean about how close they are!

Stuck the landing.

Trailhead gear maintenance.

Not switch, but to the car.

Happy drive home.
Bob T

Postby telehubby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Either day could work for me. If we get others to join they may have a preference.

PM sent
telehubby

Postby Bob T » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Got it. Preference for Thursday given other's schedules. Thursday anyone?
Bob T

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics