• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby greatgt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 am

Did some Roxin....Been hand clipping an area called Teleknob...On the edge of thousands of acres of wild lands but very easy access....Didn't lose any snow during the last water event but the boiler once again has some surface crushiness kinda like a ski area that's been groomed...Skis take off fast and keeping control is a must...Forest was very white and grey with sun lines poking through...Beautiful visuals.....Having trouble with my glasses as I lost a set up there a couple of weeks ago....I have to put on a some yellow sun glasses then the eye glassed...Thinking I look like a freak come to tele the planet from outer space...Yesterday came down a slope and couldn't really see the surface just that it was kind of there but no context...Shot off a two foot ledge not knowing it was there....Ka-rash.....Snow tasted good....really decent ledges up there and most small whips died ....Waiting for some deep powder and then the fun will begin...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:21 am

Bummer...crust on a boiler crust...Zig Zag up and repeat on the down and it took longer going down than up....Will admit it felt good to ride a bit but turns...Heh....sure...totally turn out tele...Head them down at a slight angle because it was wicked fast...did I mention FAST?.....Hope the skis would eventually come around...sometimes they did and when they didn't...Kapow shake those whips and saplings....Gonna do it again today...cause....somebody has to pay homage....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:16 am

Paid homage and got whipped in the face a few times....It was pretty bad skiing up on Little Mountain....If you had full on Alpine skis with sharpened edges you might have done better but....Conditions are baaaad....So did the rRox thing and ripped off branches for future skiing...Total zig - zag up and repeat on the down...Put the skis on edge and waited for them to turn into the fall line...Sometimes they actually did other times.......Gonna hit it again today and try like hell to avoid anything that resembles steepness...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:37 am

Had another day of crustiness crust but having gone up into the higher part of the Highlands found East facing areas almost decent skiing....Was able to even get a few s turns in...Felt great after so much tough skiing....What a place, big old trees, few whips, ledges, long north south ridges...and at the top of one where if I continued on would have been two towns over....Saw a deep dark cave with blue ice and icicles of long length...Thought of that cave as a bear den...Cruised back out....Yesterday had two to three inches of awesome powder....Was Roxin again and would head up a bit then fly down and arc...Man did that feel good...Telekid is thinking of heading up to Little Mountain and getting a thousand verts in the "East Fields" a place of drops and sweet run outs where everybody is a tele hero....Almost no whips, wide open hardwood skiing...However thinking two inches isn't enough for this oldie so will head to a different mountain range and up the angle a bit...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:30 am

So Telekid calls and sure says I and off we go to hook up with Boarder Tim...He lives on or near one of the ponds, lakes that Woodbury is famous for....He has a sugarbush over by the Woodbury Quarries...Boarders them in fact....He put on the lightest set of snowshoes and off we go...Bout a mile later at the base of the upper knob known as Round Knoll.....Telewheels and I had put our initials on a beach tree up there back in the late 70'd with a skier...That tree had died but there were other beaches with other initials and one from me back in the late 90's....Very sketchy skiing up there with @ 1-2 inches of powder on that stable crust...Decent view but around zero with a constant lite wind...Popped a beer and I gave boarder Tim his Kingdom Tele Boy badge...He had earned it...Skiing down was tough but had excellent possibilities for deeper snow.....I mostly zig-zagged down...Telekid a bit more successful while boarder Tim made it work on his board....I drifted somewhere because the angle softened and was into S turning while heading around the knoll...Finally caught up with the Boys and they were in the process of getting yellow birch bark and little twigs for a stump fire....Raging at last Tim brings out some onions and a T bone steak and wowsie....was that ever good....Cruised back to the truck and cleaned the cellar for Superbowl...TM
greatgt

Postby Biff » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 am

We missed you guys at the tele fest sunday but.... was not your kind of skiing anyway. No woods and all hard pack.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby greatgt » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 am

Hard-pack is hard on this oldie...Scored some sweeping field shots before the Super bowl....Fun easy ski with my wife and checked out the logging going on our land...Zillion deer tracks getting easy food...Looks like @ 5 inches...Add that to the two we had and things might be pretty good out there...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 am

Wagh! 5-8 inches of sweet, did I mention sweet....powder....on a boiler base....everything shimmering...Exited the jeep and there was a roar....like a hundred freight trains approaching....WIND!...Almost chickened out but the east side...(more powder there up to 30 inches of lite blown in awesome powder) Slow break to the top of a tiny orb in the Highlands and keeping an eye on the tops of swaying trees....Then...ahhhh...pushed off into a world of powder...hardwoods....rounded off ledges....everything rounded even 10-15 foot ledges making for a carpet ride...of...POWDER....Little slicers parting the white sea....effortless....arcs and turns and then done....And tomorrow???....5-10 inches oh man...When we get that I'll hit Little Mountain for @ a thousand of wide open mind boggling hardwood skiing...Today??????? Guess the Jeep will make that call...But will put the 215 e99's on the ski rack....cause...just because...109's delaminating for the third time...205 e99's will get the call today me thinks...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:24 am

Jeebers.....skiing with Nordic equipment is a serious thrill....If it's working you are mostly heading the skis down with longer arc's so as to maintain speed...The skis always ride in rather than on top of powder...This means the entire length is engaged and if you add double camber the gliders are fast and the wax pocket doesn't really slow the skis down...Even yesterday in below 10o powder the skis went! The little orb has sharp drop offs (speed) then run outs...then drop and all you have to do is ride and the whole thing becomes effortless....Caught some powder face shots and had a total blast only once getting into a small gully and going to fast for this old boy...Cut left and had to ski through whips and got face smacked...Fabulous skiing guys....And today...5-12 Gawd! Will head to Little Mountain where Telekid has been ripping it up in the Vortex (very steep and in places tight)...Also the North East snow fields a wide open steep drop...Everybody loves this...Steep deep...Awesome and the Kid has been ripping it on e99"....So will go up there where Telekid had an encounter with a Moose yesterday and ski right by it....Head to the East side of the MOST open moderate tele forest I have ever seen...No groomed and cut area can compare to this...OPEN! Will finish about a mile and a half from where I started and head to Boot's barn with a wood stove on the upper floor...Beer! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:42 am

Intermittent blue sky with the sun hitting the tops of rounded natural moguls...All tree branches had snow on them and the powder....20-24 inches on top of the ice sheet....Ohhhh.....And I had to get my fattest skis out....Those Noodles from out West thanks to Dostie.....They broke up hill ok but on the way down they kept on going even in the deep....Really dynamite skiing out there...Telekid headed for Little Mountain and did tons of verts for the best powder skiing in years...It's about as good as it gets!!! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:34 am

Went up to the Highlands for a short ski with Telesven who hadn't hit the BC in a couple of years...Like riding a bike....It's ingrained and he skied well shooting the steepest lines and riding the moderate areas....Snow was flying and the conditions can't get better....Thinking I'll go to Little Mountain today and hit some areas without going to the top...(wait till the boys break the long haul back from the East Hardwood fields)...Not as much snow there though...like 16 inches of pow on a foot of base....Highlands 20+ inches of pow on @20 inches of base...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Jeece....close to 30 inches of powder and still coming down....Awesome! used blue extra and went up well but on the moderate slopes it was kind of a hindrance on the down for a bit... places not skied I'd go up ski them then re- up and do something different....Once the steep slope dropped away it was wonderful especially...being old, what a blast....I guess everything about skiing is pretty super even when it's kinda hurting.... Bur this is the real deal powder and everybody is into doiiiiiig it.,.....Damn! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Well couple of days ago just before the reemergence of a semi crust the Boys demolished Little Mountain....Powder was awesome and the burghers and beer excellent....Watching the boys hit the steeps where two ridges meet...Steep and deep with hardwoods into the mix...Big----Big natural Moghuls...Next day I broke out to dead Moose Pond then extended it today....Breaking is good with 215 e 99's....Breaking machines!.....And on the down....Have not had enough courage to do it in a long time....But this year?...The high tips sliced the lite crust and arcs could be had and were....Mostly this is a cc bushwhack of open hardwood and ponds mixed in....Good stuff....Bout 2-3 feet of snow out there with some deep drifted in twisty watercourses....Two miles to get some sweet downhill...Telewood...Telerock....Teleking...you listening??? TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Man!...Did a repeat up in the Highlands with the Noodles and it was wonderful...Quiet up there except for the hisssss of the skis arcing and spreading a fine mist of demolished surface and moderate powder down in...Gawd...Then like just a while back....Did Little Mountain....Thousand up and then over to the East fields...snow fields...hardwood forest....Gigantic openings....whips whipped.....Head ANYTHING down and you have wicked skiing...It's aint powder, or crust, or mashed potatoes...a thin bond of individual rain drops...some tree glops....to make a high speed surface if it was on hardpack but it isn't......moderately heavy powder is waiting....meaning the skinnies are back on if it doesn't get to warm today and....if it gets into the twenties tonight ...Wicked....TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Tm
Vicariuos joy; wish I were there;
Keep it running!
Telerock

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report