• Advertisement

Whitecap/Rumford romp

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Whitecap/Rumford romp

Postby Biff » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:46 pm

I keep trying to post this video and youtube keeps shutting it down for copyright violations. I've never had this problem with the music before. In the end I just threw some of my piano stuff in it. The vid is rough, nothing special, unlisted link, but thought you might find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qqABtUKxvk&feature=em-upload_owner

Anyway... went up to Whitecap yesterday to ski the fresh snow. About 8 plus/minus inches depending. Nice base on the way up. Gotta be 3 feet. Took the drone and tried to do some filming.... it's tough! It's hard to see the skier in the little i-phone screen with all the glare. The wind at the top also really knocked the drone around. You can see that at the beginning. I also was afraid to get too low because Randy crashed his drone two weeks ago hitting a tree. So I lost a lot more footage than I got. In the end it's pretty boring stuff but enough there to give someone the idea of what it was like.The skiing was excellent... only at the end of the day did it really start to go to slop. The last footage was at the end of the day and we were on some very, very tame terrain so we could barely move. The cool thing there though is that I tried a feature called "follow me". I skied with the controls and the drone stayed overhead. Gonna definitely play with that some more.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Re: Whitecap/Rumford romp

Postby underbrush » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:56 am

Looking good over there, the video came out great, it's cool to see some northeast terrain from a different perspective! Skied there once years ago, had a great day skiing the slabs into the woods and then down onto some logging roads and snomo trails. Looks like it's in the bulls eye zone for snow in this wet mess of a storm, might be good tomorrow!
underbrush

Postby Bern » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:19 am

I can see drones are great fun. I've been watching sailing videos. Some are good but many just show you boobs of girlfriends in hope you will subscribe for what I assume is a ploy to generate an income stream to finance their sailing. It must be admitted that over generations sailors have been recognized as having low moral standards and exibitionist tendencies. Don't ask how I know.

Anyway, one video showed a scene from a drone of a sailing yacht making it's way past coral heads to a gorgeous blue lagoon. Coral heads are easier to see the higher up you are. Before drones, people would climb the mast for the best possible view.
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Postby Biff » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:56 am

Bern wrote:I can see drones are great fun. I've been watching sailing videos. Some are good but many just show you boobs of girlfriends in hope you will subscribe for what I assume is a ploy to generate an income stream to finance their sailing. It must be admitted that over generations sailors have been recognized as having low moral standards and exibitionist tendencies. Don't ask how I know.

Anyway, one video showed a scene from a drone of a sailing yacht making it's way past coral heads to a gorgeous blue lagoon. Coral heads are easier to see the higher up you are. Before drones, people would climb the mast for the best possible view.

Yea... I don't think skiers are as up for showing boobs as sailors.

The drone is fun but I can see how you would only want to use bits and pieces of the arial views along with more conventional shots for a film. Just arials gets pretty boring.

The other thing about drones is that they can really, really, really annoy people. I can see why too if you are some nice tranquil spot enjoying nature and some annoying drone is hovering over head. When I flew it at Popham Beach for my moon vid I tried to really wait until there was no one around. There were some snowshoers at Whitecap and I made a point of asking them if it was OK.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby North816 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:13 pm

those trees are wide open for Maine! Looks like a great place to explore.
North816

Postby Biff » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:55 pm

North816 wrote:those trees are wide open for Maine! Looks like a great place to explore.

That was the east and the south side. I've never skied the north but Randy has. He says its steeper but usually does not have the snow. There is also a ridge along the tree line with a 15 foot jump. The east side is good enough for me.
Biff
Site Admin

Return to General Topics