• Advertisement

Dipping my toe into NTN

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Dipping my toe into NTN

Postby Brenda » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:12 am

Well I've gone and done it, I bought some seriously on sale Scarpa Tx Pro boots. And then I looked at binding options and *cough* price. Jebus. :shock:

Is there a way to mount these so you can swap out between skis, or am I looking at having to buy binders for every new ski I purchase (assuming I switch over completely)?
Brenda

Re: Dipping my toe into NTN

Postby wallag » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 pm

You have two options, Brenda:

1) The Rottefella NTN Freeride (not Freedom) is designed to easily swap from ski to ski with a relatively inexpensive 2nd ski kit. A metal plate is mounted permanently to each ski, with the rest of the binding attaching to the plate. Only takes a minute or two per ski.

2) Threaded inserts can be used with any of the NTN options, including the Meidjo (my personal favorite). Binding Freedom and Quiver Killer are two well known sources for the inserts. Swapping between skis requires removing and reinstalling all the screws, about 10 minutes work per ski?
wallag

Postby Brenda » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks! I did see the Quiver Killers after posting.

Any thoughts overall on the differences between NTN bindings? Releasability is a top priority for me. I don't need a super active binding, as I ski the Voile CRB right now.
Brenda

Postby Go Fish » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:51 am

Option #3: Go to 22 Designs products.

The mounting hole pattern for the Vice and Axle, both duck bill bindings, is the same as the Outlaw, their NTN binding.

I've got a fairly substantial fleet of skis that I outfitted with inserts to accept the Vice bindings that I favor. It was a no-brainer for me to stick with 22 designs and go with the Outlaw.
Go Fish

Postby flyingcow » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Brenda wrote:Thanks! I did see the Quiver Killers after posting.

Any thoughts overall on the differences between NTN bindings? Releasability is a top priority for me. I don't need a super active binding, as I ski the Voile CRB right now.

If you're going Rottefella, I would be looking at the Freedoms. The freerides are a hell of a lot of fun, but they are very active no matter what way you look at them. The freedoms are a bit more reasonable. Having skied the 22 designs bindings once, they are about the same activity at the freedoms. I have released out of freerides and freedoms, but haven't skied enough on the 22D to comment on their release.

If you want spendy, go Meidjo!
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby wallag » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:45 am

An old friend just emailed me about his new company:
https://www.switchski.com/
Looks like a neat option for quickly switching bindings between skis, or skis between bindings.
wallag

Postby stoneman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Neat and expensive....
I've been using binding freedom inserts for about 4 years now without a problem. I must have 5 pairs of skis i put inserts into.
stoneman

Return to The Gear Shop