• Advertisement

Need Some Experienced Advice

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Need Some Experienced Advice

Postby Weinprinz » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:03 am

Hi- New here and new to Telemark (but not to skiing).
5'7" 135-140lb -44 year old female- ex-racer. Aggressive and will ski anywhere - like steep groomers and ungroomed trees and bumps. Thought telemark looked interesting and gave it a try out of boredom and for a new challenge. I really enjoy it- and am pulling trigger on a set up due to lack of rentals or demos around me. I took a lesson on a duckbill set up, but then tried the NTN- and felt a HUGE difference in muscle fatigue- it felt so much easier and more powerful to me. I tried both the Freerides and Outlaws- and went with the Freerides because I won't be doing much in tour mode- and the Freerides were easier for me to get in and out of.
So for a moment anyway- changing to telemark has slowed me down a little- and between that and the conditions this year- I have only been able to demo anything on hardpack (and ice) groomers- there was no decent ungroomed stuff to try if I had wanted to.
I demoed mostly Blizzards (black pearls, sambas and brahmas) - and the Kenodos - not a ton of options around me- liked the Bramas best.
So here's my dilemma and questions.
I tried the Bramas in 173 which was the only available length ....the black pearls were 159- ditto- quite the difference. I have been talking to a few different ski shops - one even laughed at the fact that I would even contemplate skiing on a 173- even in the pearls ( I was thinking I really didn't like them possibly because of length and wondered if a 173 would make me happier).
Anyway-all the ski shop guys are steering me toward a 166 Brahma.
On other ski forums ( not tele) all the users are steering me toward a 173 Brahma.
Soooo-
What length would you experienced tele skiers put me on? Would I be happier and fine with the 166 once I can get off the trails into the trees next year ( let's hope for some snow).
Again- had no trouble with the Brahmas on blues- did get on some greens and -yes they were a bit harder do turn due to no speed....but everyone that is skiing on them say they "ski short" because of the rocker. I don't have the weight of most guys- but guys at my height and 150ish like the 173- yet all the guys in the shop look at me like I'm crazy to go over 166?

I also wonder- does a telemark turn- essentially make your skis longer where you are actually USING your uphill ski pushed back in a turn?

Sorry for such a long first post... But hopefully someone is in the mood to give their 2 cents.
Thanks in advance!
Weinprinz

Re: Need Some Experienced Advice

Postby flyingcow » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:06 pm

I would say run what's comfortable. I'd wager 173 is a bit long, but if I remember correctly, they have some rocker,so they'll ski a bit shorter on the firm stuff. I don't think a telemark turn makes skis ski shorter or longer, they just feel different. When I ski a too short ski (for me <180cm) I feel like I'm going to take a header on every turn. At my size, I'm not sure I've been on a ski that was too long since I was a child, so I wouldn't be able to relate.

If you're planning on taking them anywhere, you might be happier with the 166 in the woods. I ski a 191 in bounds and drop to a fatter, rockered 180 in the woods.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Brenda » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm an advanced skier, weigh more than you by a bit, and my longest ski is a 172 with rocker. My BC ski is a 170 with rocker, and I have a 166 that I really prefer in most glades at resorts. I tend to go on the shorter side for my weight because I prefer a more nimble ride and skiing glades. If you mainly want to be skiing the trees, I'd say go shorter, but if you just prefer speed on groomed trails, I'm sure you could handle the 173. That said, the Blizzard site suggested the 166 for a advanced intermediate guy who is 5' 5" 166 lb wanting the skis for groomers, bumps, and off piste. He's looking for a playful ski that's stable at speed. Given that recommendation, at your weight and level, I'd bet you'd like the 166 just fine. I suspect they will also be a bit quicker to turn on tele, so ultimately, I think the 166 would be more versatile for you. Just my opinion. :)
Brenda

Postby Brenda » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:33 pm

One more thing, a friend is a former ski racer and she owns the 166 black pearls for alpine. She's shorter than you, but about the same weight (normal for her height).
Brenda

Postby Weinprinz » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Thank you for the feedback so far.
Funny enough it ended up the shop only had the 166s left for 40% off- so decided to grab them. Thinking about the fact that they were a bit more of a chore to carve on the greens with no speed into them- I figured once I do get into the trees - shorter will be good. Hopefully when I get on them- I will not miss the extra 3 inches- and if I'm really lucky- they will even feel easier but still feel stable and secure on steeper stuff and with some speed.
If they didn't have the metal in them- I would definitely not have chanced it- but crossing fingers the stiffness rounds out going on the shorter side.
Worst case scenario- I use them until I find something I like better.
Sad -unless we get one last storm-will be waiting till next year to give them a whirl.
Weinprinz

Postby raisin'heel » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:11 am

See my post for: www.skiblackmountain.org there is woods skiing in the next soft / softening snow windows up here in Maine...I'll be skiing there on my favorite BC setups, Voile' Vector BC 160cm, Voile' Charger 154cm, Rossi BC 125 x 165cm or (especially this year to nimbly dodge all the still exposed rocks and stumps)..my fabulously fun Boreal 130cm! (see my post(s) and links for "Trailblazer" skis, BC skis, and discussions in the forum's "Trading Post": http://easternslopes.com/2011/11/21/met ... ment-71228
Last edited by raisin'heel on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
raisin'heel

Postby Weinprinz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:01 am

Not that anyone cares- but thought I would post in case anyone is ever referring to this thread in the future for advice....
Fate has changed things again.
The other night at a restaurant -I happened to run into my tele-instructor and a friend of hers ( who works in a local ski shop that I didn't know existed because it is typically on-line sales only)
Anyway- I was telling her about my recent investments and how I had been waffling on the length to go with- and how I went shorter than I had demoed in a large part because that was the only size I could find at a discounted price.
Her hunch was to go longer (head height) and she discussed with her friend my skiing abilities (or more so my aggressive style and speed- I lost track of how many times she told me to slow down in my lesson). He has demoed pretty much everything they carry himself. He advised to go with the 173- without hesitation. I was able to return my still wrapped 166s and pick up the 173 Brahmas from him for the same price. He said if I were looking at different model
skis he may advise the 166 length- but not in the Brahma. Now I will never know if I would have been even happier or
bummed with that length- but at least I feel comfortable KNOWING what the 173s ski like. And I did formerly maneuver through bumps and trees on 195s - so to me 173 feels short anyway!
I am still skiing through woods on my own property on my 215 x-country skis... We have some pretty steep terrain - and I am lucky if I make it without crashing- but it is still fun...
So anyway- I guess I will be the rebel woman that skis on the long side. I still have yet to start wearing a helmet -and I feel like an outcast in that respect too. I am not against them ( I NEVER ride my horses without one) but my skis can't buck or spin me off! I do supppse I should hop on the bandwagon and start wearing one though.
He also said -if I do ever decide to sell them- I will be able to sell the 173s easy... But not so much the 166s.
Weinprinz

Postby flyingcow » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:03 am

Rock what feels right!

Glad you were able to get em!
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Return to The Gear Shop