• Advertisement

Gear Review Team intro

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Gear Review Team intro

Postby Erik » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:36 pm

One of the few bonuses of owning a Tele Shop is getting to try all the gear! The hours suck, you don't get to ski as much as your friends and there are a lot better ways to make a living. That being said, we still Love it! One of the best assets we have is an amazing crew of skiers who come from all different backgrounds but all have the same goal...ski as much as they can! Much of that time is spent trying out the shop gear as they scout for a new powder/carving/NTN or whatever, set-up. We base almost all of our buys on reviews by our customers. If the consensus is a ski, binding or boot is great, we stock it. If it doesn't get good reviews from our demo customers, it's not here.
You'll find the more common labels like BD, Atomic, K2, G3, 22 Designs, Rossi and Rottefella but you'll also get to try amazing gear from Liberty, Hart and new skis this year from Europe from Blossom and Sporten. It's some of these more unknown labels that you don't get to hear about from the big magazines, but you will. 3 yrs ago no one knew Hart was making Free Skis or BC skis, but last year they won the Gold Medal Awards from 2 major ski publications.... The word is out now!
We are really pumped up for the season, and we're looking forward to replies and your own comments on the gear we review. We realize everyone skis differently and that what works great for one skier, may be a wrong fit for another. We also realize that many ski reviews you read in mags are done in optimal conditions. This is not a good way to assess equipment. As far as we're concerned, they should do a good portion of testing in less than stellar conditions. That's the best way to see if equipment has what it takes to be "telemarkeast" certified.
We'll do our best and please feel free to call either shop (603) 533-5589 NH *(860)428-5979 CT , or email - telemarkdown@hotmail.com
Stay tuned for our first review.
Thinking SNOW!
Erik
Erik

Re: Gear Review Team intro

Postby Brenda » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Looking forward to it! Thanks Erik (and Biff)!
Brenda

Postby RobRox » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Geeze loueeze! I barely get my gear lust under control and now this :D
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 pm

It's wild to think that hart is still there. The first pair of skis I ever owned were hart mercurys. 1968. They were grey and all metal mounted with Cubco bindings. Boots were leather lace up something or others. I only remember my feet killing me. Ski boots continued to kill me until I finally found telemark.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Grant » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:40 pm

So how does one sign up to be a 'tester', Eric? :wink: :D :wink:
Grant

Postby telehubby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:47 am

Oooo... Me too, me too.
Erik thanks for taking this on, I can't wait for the first installment. I was lucky enough to have won something from you at a Telefest years ago. Great service, I recommend you guys when I can.
telehubby

Postby Erik » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Grant wrote:So how does one sign up to be a 'tester', Eric? :wink: :D :wink:

Just c'mon over and we'll get you out on something! You review it, we'll post it. I obviously like having multiple reviews because so much is dependent on who's skiing the gear, where, what the conditions are etc..
Generally I find consistencies in reviews although they do range in how enthusiastic they are.
Erik

Postby Erik » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 am

I just want to be clear that our shop in New Boston NH has skis available for demo and Crotched Mountain is only 15 mins from the door. It's never crowded, the snow is quite good and snowmaking is some of the best I've seen. We also have A LOT of trees for a mountain with a 950ft vert. If we aren't doing a demo day, we will let you take a pair out for free that day(especially likely during the week)Take advantage...for a 6 pk I've been known to let you take 2 pr out. :wink:
Erik

Return to The Gear Shop