• Advertisement

Mainely Turns

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Mainely Turns

Postby Jwin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:52 pm

Considering the somewhat stark snow situation here in NE certain BC stashes have held on just enough for a couple lucky 'Powder Harvesters" ;)

Caron and I awoke Saturday to :bluebird: and temps above freezing in Bethel. I was a slight bit concerned that our BC travels and turns might be slightly hampered by heavy saturated snow... i.e. New England cement.

We loaded up the car and woke up the dog (sort of) and headed North.

When we reached our entry point, just at the base of Maine's 3rd highest, there was a few Outwardbound groups, day hikers and snomobilers. The parking lots was packed, an event I'm not sure i'd ever seen before.

Rather than fight the "crowds", we zipped North a bit to a different entry point. This route requires a much longer tour prior to turns (Approx 3hrs), but given our fortunate weather conditions it was worth it.

The beginning of the tour starts on an acceding logging rd.

The New England Cement that I spoke of did exist in Southern facing slopes but most snow was quite light. As a side note, I'm pretty sure I said in and earlier thread that I hadn't experienced "snow clumping" on my BD glidelite skins. (it's more common on these skins than others, supposedly ) needless-to-say, I jinxed my self. Theres nothing like skinning with the extra weight and drag of snow stuck to your skins. It's time to spray down my "cows". FWIW, Caron's purple ascension skins didn't clump. Maybe that's why she's smiling.
:)

We putted along for quite some time...

Shortly after, we broke from the logging trail and acended a fairly open NW facing slide. The base was solid but thin and there was a few inches of fresh ontop. Didn't hit any rocks but boy would a 12 inches turn this "route into hoot!"

Here's Caron on her way up.

She told me to slow down :skiplow:

Wouldn't be a trip into the ME BC without one sitting of

After a steep climb, we followed windswept ridge for a few hundred yards over to a more shaded route for the ski down.

We rested for a quick bit and scarfed down some Almonds and tortellini prior to booting up for the decent.

Got a little chilly and windy up top

The ski down was pretty decent. Like I said earlier another 12inches would do wonders.:chicken: We didn't take any pix on the way down, but caron did take a couple vids. Disregard her commentary, she likes to talk ;)

http://www.justinwhall.com/~Pix/kaydenfreshies.AVI
http://www.justinwhall.com/~Pix/J&Kskiing.AVI

75% of the way back to the car is downhill with a few sections of skating. I was pretty wiped by the time we got back although Caron still managed to pull of a smile.

though shortly after...

Who's going back with me after a dump?
Last edited by Jwin on Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jwin

Maine BC

Postby uberIM » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:04 pm

Great TR and great photos/commentary........

Wow......if you can find snow like that with this winter, imagine what stashes you know about.........you should have the moniker of snowmaven or snowmeister........

glad you got to enjoy.........apparently you missed the teeming masses at SR.........

great dog, too.......looks a lot my mutt.......what is his/her name?
Don't sweat the small stuff
uberIM

Re: Maine BC

Postby Jwin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:19 pm

uberIM wrote:Great TR and great photos/commentary........

Wow......if you can find snow like that with this winter, imagine what stashes you know about.........you should have the moniker of snowmaven or snowmeister........

glad you got to enjoy.........apparently you missed the teeming masses at SR.........

great dog, too.......looks a lot my mutt.......what is his/her name?

My father said that SR was jammin, he skis with alot of ambasadors/patrol and I guess 2 different folks were airlifted to Maine Medical on Satuday.

He said the skiing was good but crowded. With a sore throat and headache and crappier weather we bagged the river for today and headed back early.

Kayden is her name. 1/2lab 1/2 german shepherd 100% ski dog ;) I'm pretty sure she loves skiing as much as me.

Snow this week? :lol:
Jwin

Postby Biff » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:41 pm

Great shots jwin!! Looks like you found the goods. Our BC clinic was supposed to go up the Sherborne today but condition reports were that it was boku icy. They may have headed off the backside of Wildcat instead. Hopefully they found something as nice as you did.

Love the dog shot!!
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby RobRox » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:29 pm

Yup...ski dog! Here's one from last year I think. From a TR J posted at another site.
Image[/img]
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:43 pm

RobRox wrote:Yup...ski dog! Here's one from last year I think. From a TR J posted at another site.
Image[/img]

I wish Ladybug (my dog) would follow me skiing... :? If I looked like a squirrel maybe. :roll:
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Jwin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:49 pm

Biff wrote:
RobRox wrote:Yup...ski dog! Here's one from last year I think. From a TR J posted at another site.
Image[/img]

I wish Ladybug (my dog) would follow me skiing... :? If I looked like a squirrel maybe. :roll:

She's always been a natural follower, there were a few instance of her following TOO close at first :? You can fill in the rest...
Jwin

Postby alafia » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 am

Jwin wrote:
She's always been a natural follower, there were a few instance of her following TOO close at first :? You can fill in the rest...

We (me and Cedar,one of my Australian Shepherds), didn't get a second chance... His first BC trip, he got too close behind me on the way down the Sherburne, I didn't see him, and clipped a leg, cutting two ligaments (didn't even break the skin!). Two surgeries and $2,000 later he can use the leg ok (though it'll never be the same), but his skiing days are over :(

Moral: #1. Be careful w/ your dog out there. #2 Herding dogs don't make good ski dogs.
"I think the greatest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere else in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"
From the comic "Calvin and Hobbes", by Bill Watterson
alafia

Return to The Back-Country Report