• Advertisement

Mt Hale 12-17-2016

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Mt Hale 12-17-2016

Postby wallag » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 am

Skied the glades on the NW flank of Mt Hale last Saturday. It's been two years since I was last there, and the bushes have grown up considerably more than I remember. Conditions were a little thin on the approach but plenty of snow above 3000' elevation. I'd say about a 1 foot solid base with another 2 feet of fresh snow on top of that. After the rain yesterday I expect there will be a very solid foundation for whatever falls on top of it.
wallag

Re: Mt Hale 12-17-2016

Postby wallag » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Went back to Hale yesterday, 02-04-2017. The base was much more consolidated with several inches of fast powder on top. No rocks, but still quite a bit of brush showing.

Also made it to the N Twin slide for a double-header. It was well filled in but poorly bonded buried windslab up high on skier's right was a bit sketchy. We stuck to thinner but safer snow to skier's left.
wallag

Postby wallag » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 am

Back to N Twin again yesterday, but this time we opted for the South Slide. Snow conditions in the slide were great, but the bushwhack to the top of the slide was hell and the exit out the bottom was even worse. This is likely to be my one and only trip to the South Slide.
wallag

Postby underbrush » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:09 pm

I went into the twin slide on 2/3/17 and found some good snow but it was snowing and blowing pretty good when I left. Were my tracks blown in or could you capitalize on the skin track? Planning on hitting that south slide too, hopefully this year. It sounds like you dropped from the top, I was thinking of coming in from the bottom, but it sounds like it might take a time or two to connect the dots on that one. Nice get by the way, even if you only ski it once sounds like you got it in prime conditions! I'm getting some of those Altai Koms to try to get a little further back to runs like the S slide, hopefully it will work!
underbrush

Postby wallag » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:16 am

We picked up your skin track near the moose antlers and followed it all the way out. Much better than the path we used on the way in. Your tracks disappeared under windblown snow by the time it got steep.

If I were to do the S slide again (not likely), I'd probably drop in from above, climb back up, and descend the hiking trail... The schwack at the top was bad, but at least it was short (50-100 yards from the hiking trail).
wallag

Postby underbrush » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for the intel, I wanted to go back up and see what the snowstorm/flurries had done but had obligations over the weekend and decided on Monday to play it safer in the cold wind and do a conditions check elsewhere. I wandered into that route a few weeks back on my first ever trip in there, seemed like a good one. The slide was skiable then but what a difference a few weeks makes! I think a lot of these back woods slides could be good skiing this year, we just need a period of all snow.
underbrush

Postby Bob T » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Ah heck, you guys were on the SE slide of N. twin?! What a beauty. I know UB likes the bottom up approach, but that one is well-served by dropping in to the top from the trail then exiting the bottom and contouring around back to the trail. I've never had trouble doing that, but I spent a lot of time including an overnight getting familiar with that zone.

I want pics of all escapades to this zone! Such a beautiful slide.
Bob T

Return to The Back-Country Report