• Advertisement

BC in Western ME?

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

BC in Western ME?

Postby raisin'heel » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:29 am

I'm in Greenwood, Maine at 840' elevation and we have marginally skiable conditions in the woods and hills with great caution. A 2'' to 3'' base with 3" to 6" velvet to windpack powder (where drifted) on top can make for some (desperately) sweet turns in the right places. I can easily see Grafton's Notch from our upper field and watched snow squalls (again!) hang over Old Speck and into the Notch yesterday. Wish I could tell you more but have not gone that way yet. A friend who is in Ketchum (Newry), had 10" before the rain and newest snow...I was thinking of heading to Black Mountain of Maine (Rumford) today for the $15 ticket and fresh turns on still limited terrain, but here I sit at nearly noon....
raisin'heel

Re: BC in Western ME?

Postby Stormy Monday » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:34 pm

I tried some BC in similar conditions today in NH, my Outtabounds look like they got put in a blender. Hoping to check out Mt. Noyes where the land trust is trying to buy, wish it would snow dangit!
Stormy Monday

Postby raisin'heel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Checked out Noyes Mt. and I can imagine there is some potential good ski paths and some good views, including a nice lookout from above the tower on the next ridge (NE) if a connector could be established......
raisin'heel

Postby raisin'heel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Dec. 12, 2016 Mahoosucs looking quite wintery and snow covered from a distance...I've been watching snow squalls banked up along the Mahoosuc Ridge daily. Old Speck frosty and Baldpates pretty white! Have not ventured there yet, but Mt. Abram was a grand ski, even where no man-made base (all ungroomed), skinned 2x's Tues. 13th. (caution advised!). Skiers left "Dudley Do Right" trail loaded with whalebacks.....
raisin'heel

Return to The Back-Country Report