• Advertisement

TR: Tucks 4/12/2014

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

TR: Tucks 4/12/2014

Postby Yad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 am

Lovely day up in the Ravine. Certainly crowded but snow conditions were great and we timed it pretty well. We (Me, Monica, Brenda, Rider.Steve, and RobRox) stayed in Jackson Friday night and got to the Pinkham lot at 6:45 and got one of the last few spots. It filled up wicked early and they weren't allowing parking on Rt 16 near Pinkham so it saved us a lot of walking. We went in for breakfast and let things warm up a bit.

We all skinned up and headed up at a reasonable time. Soon we all stripped down to t-shirts as it was warming up quickly. The usual cluster-f on the TRT trail with lots of people, dogs, families, etc but a great atmosphere. HoJos was a zoo with lots of rangers around talking to folks about the dangers. The Inferno race course came right through HoJos and we saw the first racers come though to great applause. After the appropriate donations to the rangers we put skis on our backs for the hike to the Bowl where we ate some more and decided to head up Right Gully to the snowfields.

I had a blister problem on one heel that was quite annoying during the climb but fortunately didn't bother me on descent. Monica and I transitioned a ways above the Headwall and took our first lovely turns on the snowfields enjoying the great snow conditions. I'd never done the Headwall before (just Left Gully, Right Gully, Chute, and Hillman's) so I admit I had a bit of nervousness. Rob and Rider.Steve went up a bit higher - we'd meet up with them later in the Bowl.

The Headwall is steep. I didn't ski it great but I made some turns. The Mrs skied it great (of course) and I caught up with her in the middle of the run. We spotted Brenda who had done a different run and we stopped for a beer and some fun watching. Rob and Steve came down a couple of minutes later and we all celebrated the day. After a bit we decided we'd had enough and headed out the Sherby. There is some open water on the Little Headwall that would could have avoided better but we only carried for a few feet. Sherby was in fine shape to the parking lot.

And now the pictures:

The crowds at HoJos

Hillmans from just above HoJos

Arriving in the Bowl

Hanging on the floor of the Bowl

Climbing Right Gully

Looking across Tucks from the top of Right Gully

A lovely day in Tuckerman Ravine

Stopping to refresh atop Right Gully

Skintrack in the snowfields

Meeting friends in the snowfields before heading down

We're skiing what?!

Me, just below the Lip

Below the Ice Fall

All smiles below the Lip

Skiing below the Boot Ladder

Conga Line

Perfect conditions

Rider.Steve finishing his run

A bit of a crowd at the edge of the Lip

Going for it

Afternoon at Left Gully

Time to say goodbye

Rider.Steve and Brenda on Little Headwall

RobRox waiting patiently below HoJos

The Gang

Note the lit cigar

Post Tucks celebration

Libations for Ullr

And, a Moose for the road
Last edited by Yad on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yad

Re: TR: Tucks 4/12/2014

Postby underbrush » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 am

Way to get such a perfect Inferno day in the bowl! Love the photo's it looks so good in there, feelin jealous. The conga line looks classic, along with the refresh at the top of Right gully. Nice job and TR!
underbrush

Postby Eric the Red » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Great pics yad! Still hoping to make it up there with my kids, but my work schedule has really cranked up recently. Thanks for sharing...
Eric the Red

Postby Biff » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:21 am

Great pictures Yad!! Some of the best I've seen of tucks ski fest in a long time. I'll grab one and put it on the cover.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Bern » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:17 am

Looks a lot like those thrilling days of yesteryear at chillkoot Pass and the gold rush into the Klondike.
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Return to The Back-Country Report