• Advertisement

Cardigan still covered

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Cardigan still covered

Postby underbrush » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Stayed closer to home and went out for a conditions check to see if anything iced last night at upper elevations. Still plenty of snow up there. They canopy rained on me the whole way up, mostly water, but sometimes ice!

falling ice.jpg
falling ice.jpg (95.35 KiB) Viewed 3273 times

Not too many skiers have been up the west side lately, more and more evidence of the post holers coming out to play. The trail had good coverage with hardly a rock showing. Up top I was pleasantly surprised to see snow cover on most of the slab, better coverage right now than I've seen in awhile! The surface was variable, corn, thin breakable ice crust, crushed ice that hadn't bonded together yet after a brief period of warming and rain at the end of the storm. I was able to make a couple of pretty nice runs on the smoother faces I could find before the wind chilled and it started to lock up. The surface when frozen is horrible, especially near the top, but spots a little more sheltered from the cold winds should be alright after a little warm sunshine. The trail out was passable but not great, needs more skier traffic to pack it and break it up.

snowfields.jpg
snowfields.jpg (73.71 KiB) Viewed 3273 times

firescrew.jpg
firescrew.jpg (79.05 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
underbrush

Re: Cardigan still covered

Postby RobRox » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 am

Warmer on Sunday 6th, with corn bloom promising a fine crop. The ice confetti was still littered all about in the shade. Upper Duke's shady bits were a little firm, but deep cover and creamy corn predominated on the run to Alleyway. Rotten snow evident from mid-elevation down, stay on line and all is well....

Same story on Alexandria, but, except for the ice in the chute from the outlook, less scratchy due to less shade.

Alleyway was about 30% rotten snow, but now there is a skin track (2 skiers, 1 splitter). I thought about skiing it. Glad I went with skins from the start. I can't agree with that trail's location; starting from just 50 vertical feet higher on Dukes would keep it out of all those boggy bits and provide a more consistent but still shallow slope angle
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Return to The Back-Country Report