• Advertisement

Rumford Whitecap / Black Mtn.

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Rumford Whitecap / Black Mtn.

Postby raisin'heel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Finally did it! Got to the top of Black with $15 lift ticket and skinned to summit thru the gorgeous "Moxie" glades and traversed on "Black and White" trail west toward R. Whitecap before crusty conditions we are now "stuck" with. The 1000' vert. was truly fabulous and completely untracked (so why am I reveiling this??) until the last 1/4 or so that is a 4' slot thru thick saplings with little bailout except the deep forgiving POW to slow me down. All fairly low angle and fairly consistent thru gorgeous open and relatively clear hardwoods (3/4ths of the run) to jct. at bottom with snowmobile trail. Then I could not stop myself from re-skinning the fabulous Voile' Charger 154's to climb the 400' vert. of the continuing trail and connect with my tracks from the other day off R. Whitecap. More great skiing on the return and then climb back to Black doing minor trail "maintenance" on the way back up in the now falling dark and setting up snow.......Skied down to lift and the outermost (westerly) ski run down the Mtn. and wished I'd started earlier or curtailed my enthusiasm since I missed out on both a ski down the summit hiking trail and last call for a Baxter "Stowaway IPA"! The "Moxie" by headlamp was pretty cool tho.......
raisin'heel

Re: Rumford Whitecap / Black Mtn.

Postby RobRox » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:19 am

Nice! Lately, love/hate crust adventures seem to be the thing...glad you got some goods to go with the other.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Return to The Back-Country Report