• Advertisement

2500'

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: 2500'

Postby underbrush » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:54 pm

April pow, deep base, and open lanes, way to stretch out the powder season Dirk! I know of a similar looking spot off a high pass in NH that can sometimes deliver some late season pow. It seems the Catamount trail is the place to start the search for great back-country access. I sometimes ski a notch between Bolton and Stowe that's in proximity to the Catamount trail, fun stuff!
Just got done watching Tom Messner claim the spine of the Green mountains is going to be the big winner in this storm. The Catamount basically seems to follow that spine, I might have to come over and poke around. It's raining here in Canaan, has been for a few hours, I'll have to check snow totals in the morning. Tried a spot closer to home in Warren today, it hardly ever gets winter visitors and I usually end up having to break trail for over two miles. I thought I could sneak in on a little dust on crust and reap the rewards of deeper snow higher on the mountain later in the day. Well I thought wrong. The new snow reached about 4" near the glade I was shooting for at around 2500', but the manky spring corn crust never disappeared. Then when I reached the glade the snow depth wasn't quite there yet, thought I might be in for a bit of a suffer fest. I was wrong again, was able to achieve enough float with speed to make the old road/trail ski quite fun on the over two mile, 1300' foot, ski down the mountain. Can't wait to get into some deep!

fish.jpg
fish.jpg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 6110 times

hobble.jpg
hobble.jpg (89.89 KiB) Viewed 6110 times

slope.jpg
slope.jpg (75.99 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
underbrush

Postby underbrush » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 pm

With the new snow came time to explore for some new lines. Skied some of these zones before and now just searching for better routes, but some of them I've never skied. It was a fun few days, found lots of dense windblown powder in the western whites. Found this shot on Saturday at noon just as the snow was starting to glop at 2500' on the north face, time for one last run!
http://youtu.be/ASMm5BDyrwU

Here are a few of the better pics from those days

old tree.jpg
old tree.jpg (79.28 KiB) Viewed 6093 times

creek.jpg
creek.jpg (80.96 KiB) Viewed 6093 times

chute.jpg
chute.jpg (60.63 KiB) Viewed 6093 times

Not sure how bad it really ended up warmth/sun crusted, started to almost snow when I was leaving. Cannon reported a couple inches overnight, might have to head north and find out.
underbrush

Postby underbrush » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Headed back up to Crawford Notch area hoping the NWS forecast for below freezing temps for Saturday would be true, they weren't. Crust all the way up to almost 3000' then dense pow for the few hundred feet I went higher. Found some more beautiful scenery and even a little pow in a high elevation creek. Tried to find a glade run to the bottom but just ended up eating lots of bark as I forced my way through the thickets, can't win 'em all, just as long as I win some. All in all the day was a bit tiring but still fun, glad to have a day up north.

beaver pond.jpg
beaver pond.jpg (56.62 KiB) Viewed 6075 times

a.jpg
a.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 6075 times

creek.jpg
creek.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
underbrush

Postby underbrush » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Spent the last few days soaking up as much thick creamy powder as mother nature and time would allow. Soft all the way down to 2200' where I started my uptrack. Switchbacking across the broad faces, eyeing every possible line, trying to connect the dots into the perfect run. The choices were many and one even got skied a couple times! I took the skin track further back each day, I was having too much fun. Had a hard time leaving last night, smile on my face, bottoming out on potholes on the trip home. Almost April White Mountain pow!

g1.jpg
g1.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 6064 times

g2.jpg
g2.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 6064 times

pond.jpg
pond.jpg (100.24 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
underbrush

Postby yardsale » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:52 am

We lucked out yesterday with some April pow. This newly discovered line drops almost 1000' from over 3500' in the northern Greens. The area is unique as it allows relatively easy lateral travel well above the spruce/fir line. Bodes well for finding other lines in the area.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NBtkEfEdwQZbLmkH0aqxMfJYoqBLUCXWxSszoIxqsk0=w276-h207-p-no

yardsale

Postby underbrush » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:28 pm

Nice looking terrain! Always great to get such late season treat. I tried to get a little pow in the spot I did last year after work on the 7th but it had already turned into corn, but I'll still take it.
underbrush

Previous

Return to The Back-Country Report