• Advertisement

Blueline Barkeating and Lake Ontario Powder '13-'14

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Blueline Barkeating and Lake Ontario Powder '13-'14

Postby Biff » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 pm

freedan wrote:Great skiing on Saturday.

Did I mention that I love that picture?? Oh... and that I wish the "Tug" was next door to me.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby freedan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks Biff, Tug has been coming through this winter better than it has in the last couple of years. I have a dozen days skiing 1' of powder or more on the Tug so far this winter. Still been getting lake effect despite the Great Lakes are virtually frozen over and have more ice on them than in years.

Looking forward to hitting it again this weekend if my back continues to improve. I tried to gap jump and old skidder road that switchbacks up the maple glades we hit and came up short landing on the downhill berm of the road and got thrown over the tips. I knew I tweaked my back but my muscles were warm and kept skiing for the day. Pretty much crawled to the house when I got out of the car but after a couple days of massage, the muscles released their grip and I'm feeling pretty good.
freedan

Postby freedan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 am

Great day skiing Friday with the boys. Got a good workout chasing one of the best rando racers on the east coast and one of the best rock climbers in the ADKS while doing laps on a slide. Nice dense powder on a deep base that skied excellently. All overlaps and ice bulges buried. Left the place looking like a mogul run which I'm sure was much to the disappointment of the Saturday morning crew.
freedan

Postby freedan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:14 pm

C. ADKS, a short recap...

:D
freedan

Postby underbrush » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Those pictures are so reminding me of Lyon Mtn right now. Beautiful big hardwoods mixing with firs a little higher up, and the occasional boulder or ledge to shoulder next to or jump off on the way down. And lets not forget the dry light powder that falls up there. Seems those hardwoods and powder are in every ADK post. My wife's father grew up in Lyon Mtn, they now live in Ellenburg. I get to ski up there once or twice a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I missed out this year, not wanting to deal with the gear in the small car for a three day trip. As usual There was almost 2 feet of snow by Christmas and I so wished I had the skis with me. Would have been awesome to even kick around Chataguay lake on the waxless while ice fishing for pike! Thats the only ADK peak, other than the lows hills around camp, that I've skied. Every year I say I'm finally gonna make it to the high peaks to do some touring, but starting from scratch I figure I need at least a few days to get a foothold in the backcountry. It seems like my kind of place, tours that bring you so far back you really feel the wilderness. One of these days.....
underbrush

Postby freedan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 am

underbrush, if you need some ideas for good tours in the ADKS, feel free to PM sometime.
freedan

Postby underbrush » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:12 am

Thanks Freedan, probably won't make it over this late in the season but might as well start narrowing down the options for next year. Let me look through the maps and books I have, need to figure out the fastest way to get over there first. I'll come up with what tours I think sound good and hopefully your local intell will set me straight and head me in to the best place to start. It'll take a few days before I get in touch.

Thanks, Underbrush
underbrush

Previous

Return to The Back-Country Report