• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby greatgt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:22 am

8o rock! But twill be @30o up on Little by the time Telewheels and I get up there....Totally bluebird sky....Will shoot some arcs for you!!!! Have to say the blue water down there looks inviting...TM
greatgt

Postby MikeK » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:18 am

Telerock wrote:Plan to return to Floodwood Santa Clara NY in early May. Would be up for corn on Mansfield or Washington.
Miss the tele-turns (and of course the witty repertoire at camp).
Photo today at Bahia Honda.

Is your place on Floodwood road?

One of my favorite places in the world...

Long Pond Mtn in the distance from the small island on Floodwood Pond.
MikeK

Postby greatgt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:44 am

Hey Mike...Telerock, Teleking and I skied that hill in the distance when we were over at Telerock's cabin....In fact we dropped from his cabin to that lake and skied across and up to the top....Have some good reflex camera shots of Teleking skiing big puff balls of powder like gigantic rounded mounds of snow on some ledges that King popped from one to the other...Have had some great times up there!!!!! If Rock weren't wimping out in 80o water we would be there now....Heh!....As I wrote over at Ron's yesterday was a fantastic powder ski....The only catch was the sun had iced up the up trail somehow and his Vector bones couldn't cope...Way difficult on the up...My skis had to apply wax three times to get it right....Finally waxing the ski @ 80 percent of the length...This year have never had to do much more than a bit more than boot length with wax....De waxed at the top as did Teewheels....or did he?....He had put some on the Vectors....Most of the time his "bones" work well...but yesterday!....Anyway the ski down was nothing but fantastic.....Rock....wicked....rock....so goooood....Rock can't imagine better powder for HERO big headed skiing....And believe me Telewheels and I have big heads today because of it!!!! Mine is a bit bigger for having kissed a Maple but was able to dig bark out of my ear so all is good!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby MikeK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:13 am

I was trying to remember what we did on that trip in that picture. All I can remember is we took a break that morning and went into SL for breakfast, and then went out for a few more days.

As many times as I've been up there, I've never been up Long Pond Mtn. I always have it as something I want to do if we have time, but usually we paddle right by it.

I actually camped with Johnny up there a few years ago. We stayed in the DEC campground, but I showed him a few of the BC sites and took him out in the canoe. If you like pond hopping, that place doesn't get much better. But, I've also skied up there and done some MTB and that was great too. Can't beat that place!
MikeK

Postby greatgt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am

We skied around many short drops and had a ball...Love canoeing....If we get an invite...hint rock...But thinking Telerocker might be building so he might be busy...TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:24 pm

After 5 attm[ts; I am logged on; too much schnapps; listening to live Neil Young sing-a-like earlier at Mangrove Mamas.
My shack is on Floodwood Pond, but T-mans recollection of our trip with T-KING is slightly faded. After shoveling 3-4 ft off the camp- roof, we skied across “pond-with-a-rock-in-it” and climbed Floodwood Mountain. We made a fire on a birch stump above the 5-ft snow, cooked lunch, and then took jumps off the 5-10’ rock drops on thw way back down. We will have plenty of time for canoeing this summer; and have the extra bed-nook (guest suite) atcamp; with the burlap curtain door. We put in hot water last summer too!
Telerock

Postby MikeK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Wow - on the pond! Even better. There aren't many camps on that pond. I assume you are over by the railroad tracks?

Pond with a rock in it = Rollins Pond I'd assume.

Floodwood mountain eh?

Me on the summit looking toward Tupper Lake I believe...

Lots of big erratics up there. I've never really explored that place, just the summit. We hiked the trail but I recall the top was pretty steep and ledgey.

I'll keep it in mind if I ever make it back up to ski. I'd like to ski out to St. Regis Mountain and explore around there. It's a massive lump even though it's not all that tall.

How far down do they plow the road in the winter? I didn't figure they would very far (if at all) because most of it is seasonal. The outfitters don't even have electric (and I'd assume you don't either seeing that you'd be just as far down the road as they are).
MikeK

Postby Telerock » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:41 am

They plow down past the outfitters, but do not sand, and usually have a “procede at your own risk” type sign. Snowmobiles have free run of floodwood road in winter. We are one of the 12 camps on the railroad just past the outfitters.
Telerock

Postby MikeK » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks for the info. Wish I had a hot tent, I'd setup in one of those roadside campsites for a week or two and do some skiing up there.

And if you ever want to sell that land... let me know!

Ahhh pond with a rock in it = Rock Pond! I thought you meant Rollins because there is literally a big rock in it at the north end. Never been to Rock Pond (didn't even know it was there actually but I just looked at a map).
MikeK

Postby greatgt » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 am

Very slow melt here....Powder was firming up, even the North East faces.....Telewheels and I broke out to Porcupine Junction and skied up on North facing ridge....He got tons of turns on his vectors and I got to shoot things on the e99's....Both of us had fun and got in a really good Cross Country cruise....Man those 99's really took off in the "up" trail and didn't need but some double poling now and then for a long easy cruise....Blue bird sky and will see if the powder remains or the spring crust appears as it has on the South faces...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:42 am

Search and ye shall find and we did....powder in the gully's and on the side where no sun shines...After hauling full packs the boys got a dead hollow tree raging and skied some more....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 am

Last of the powder for a while but March was the ticket!....Very fast ball bearing powder that could be turned by anyone on anything....A long ridge in the Northeast Kingdom...close to parking....2200 feet out of the car....Quiet with "Tons" of snow....I mean it's deep out there....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 am

Raining, consolidating....Been making lots of Maple Syrup....Up to @ 40 gallons and thinking we are going to get a run on Saturday....Sugaring is a sure sign of Spring and it goes hand in hand with corn...Will sample that soon...Syrup is dynamite! TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Hollow tree fires are the best!
Going snorkling for lobster tomorrow.
See youin May.
Consider a Mt Washington trip?
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:30 am

Will consider anything!....Heading up to Teleknob soon to see how consolidated the snow is....Will probably be boiling this afternoon....Figure I might dump Teleknob for a cc cruise out to Big Burl over looking Pitcher Plant Pond...Wherever the skis take me...TM
greatgt

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report