• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby Bob T » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:07 pm

I literally had no idea this part of the forum was alive until now! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Must have missed the memo. Holy crap, what great shots TM!
Bob T

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks Bob, the Highlands are still holding snow....Unfortunately there is going to be around a foot plus of base....Can't take much more heat before it's leaf skiing.....Snowing as of now and will see what's left up on the hill....Temp is dropping@27o.....If it gets cold fast and the snow doesn't insulate the pack we will have some decent long range cruising.....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:15 am

Highlands is the gift that keeps on giving....Thinking about a foot left but...alas....anywhere from 14 inches to over two feet....Big tree wells....everything rounded and all places where water runs are possible traps but all in all the snow held up well and is now glacial and ready for hardpack exploring....Sunny and five degrees....Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Fisheater » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:00 am

Teleman,
My name is Bob, I have been reading your reports in different places for a while. I always wanted to say something, but I didn't. I wanted to tell you I have really enjoyed the reports, and the photos even more.
I also wanted to share with you a couple links. I noticed you mentioning that the E-99's were a little short. The first link is for a US military surplus ski made by Anses. You can get them in either 200 or 210. They are waxable, nice beefy metal edges, sintered base, and fast. The are pretty straight, not much sidecut. They cost about $30 for two pairs plus shipping. If I remember right, it was about $30 to ship to Michigan where I live. Here is the link, just click on it.

https://colemans.com/shop/cold-weather- ... is-2-pair/

I also enjoy leather boots. I have been skiing these boots that I bought for about $75 shipped from England. They are made by Alico. They are really high quality leather. They go just above the ankle. They are Thinsulite insulated with a Cambrelle liner. Mine were made in 2011 according to the box, so they are not old junk. They are a little heavy, but they flex onto the ball of my foot really nicely. That bit of extra weight may be due to the heavy sole, which is stiff enough for me to turn some S-112's with only 3-pins in soft snow. I have the skinny skis from Colemans, but when it gets deeper I like the fatter 112's. I really like the leathers! I thought you might like them, so here is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-British-A ... 1784294337

Hope you enjoy the season, I have an inch where I am at in Michigan. Tomorrow I am jumping in the canoe and going fishing before they close the season in 10 days. Nothing like some cold water walleye.
Fisheater

Postby Telemanarcer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks FE, Telekid is talking about those Alico's that he got for 75 bucks....Thinking that's a great deal! Far as skis I'm trying to get some e 109's wax. Been skiing a ski swap set that are 178 and to short....Figure a 190 or so would give more stability in less that powder conditions....Boy the skiing was good for the conditions....Lots of snow out there on a glacial surface...but...on top was about an inch of powder so traveling was really easy....While everything is rounded there are more dips and doodles making for lots of fun on lower angle terrain....Food was excellent as usual and we got Telecamp all spruced up....split a bunch of wood....Life is good! TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 am

Rained hard last night and is just now spitting some snow....The inch of ice and sleet have melted and will see what's happening in the Highlands....Telesven and RastaTele along with their kids have tapped several hundred trees and we now wait....I have promoted myself to Quality Control supervisor...Heh...Telekid has tried to get down there and help but has his little one Anna who has to be taken care of and loved....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 am

Snowing to beat hell...22o and the fields are white again....Fired up the evaporator last night for the first time and boiled down 180 gallons of sap to 2+ gallons of syrup....Pretty good for a first night and the quality...Damn lighter than fancy....That's rare....It's really good and the wife is going to get French toast and First Boil Fancy....Oh yeah! TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:52 am

2-3 inches of powder on hardpack...Easy cruising and when running the skis flat a real good feeling of silky snow....Won't take but a couple of inches more and the skiing will be excellent...TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:59 am

11 below with serious winds....Think it snowed but the snow is drifting toward anything east....Ski yesterday hardpack and fun....Avoiding forest debris and then helping Boots with sugaring....Telepole gets the wood and thinking he made some syrup finishing it at home...TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 am

Good skiing yesterday....2-4 inches of powder on serious hardpack....When your expectations are low....then are lifted by experiencing the powder....life is good....Blue sky and cold....Fires in camp made for lots of laughter and did I mention the skiing was good? TM

Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Thought I had em! Boys were going to finish off Little Mountain, push past where we left off yesterday....Good thinks I...I'll go break a short steep place in the Highlands and ski what they broke tomorrow...(Meaning they do a hell of a lot more work than I and I get the goods)...All geared up this morning and get a phone call...King is taking care of visitors...Oh, oh....so I head up and break that small highland powder ridge....Sitting there 2 feet...steep....and you WANT steep....Yesterday lost it....We only got halfway up then we just had to do it...Headed down...up...down with Teleking and Telekid yo yoing...So we set up a photo shoot in some Beech zone and off I go to set up...Heading down was head them down the steepest and it was great with snow hitting your face the whole way...Got to where I SHOULD HAVE....COULD HAVE....WOULD HAVE except the WAY was straight down...Didn't go beaching...heh...headed straight down with skis just floating on a cloud of powder...Down in and a great feeling ride...Broke the Highlands today and after shooting the steeps up there here comes Teleking...Damn he was going to get the goods AND LITTLE MOUNTAIN wasn't broken....Thinking best laid plans....Skiing is great....Awesome!!!! TM
Telemanarcer

Postby North816 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:07 pm

TM - sounds fantastic, every man for himself on a powder day, absolutely tricking your friends into breaking trail is a legitimate tactic!

I thought this short video nicely encapsulates what 40" of powder is like - another foot fell AFTER this too:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SmugglersNo ... e_internal
North816

Postby Telemanarcer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:23 am

Woe is us!...We ONLY have @ 2 feet of beautiful powder....Might head up to Little Mountain for some today...Possibly break to the top then figure out which way to go....Lots of options….TM

Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 am

Took a day off but will hit it today....Up in the Highlands on Teleknob....Still great powder, no crust, no sun damage, no heat damage....unless....you hit the South and West....but...that ain't hard to do!!!!!! Short drops with great steeps and open Hardwood blasting.....Weekend was super as all the boys got all they needed....Got our faces washed as Telekid says, many times up on Little Mountain....We earned some of the sweetest powder shots imaginable....Camp was warm but we set up benches outside and overdosed on the sun....Then we would hit the deep again...and again....Telewood,Teleking, Telerock, Telewheels, and I....Each run is @ a thousand and some of the Boys did a couple but there is always another beautiful opening that has to be shot....Like Japanese Woods.......aaaaahhhhhh....Bowl after beautiful bowl just below Heavens Gate....Jeesum....Everybody took off and I didn't see anybody in the hundreds of acres of Hardwood heaven.....Bowls swallowed us all up in different seas of powdery bliss....Heard Whoops off to the South....Down over that ridge but it was , as 816 said everybody for himself......Man has this been a great run of powder or what?....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby North816 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:39 am

looks like Utah! another 6 inches last night and more in the forecast
North816

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report