• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby Telemanarcer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:07 am

Going up and in was good fishbones and waxable. Got to camp the fires lit and the boys headed out to try the powder. In some areas the wind had reduced cover to 4 inches and other areas had close to twenty. All the bouys were on Rebounds cept me having broken them a while back. Had some 200 Rossi Randonee, what a trip. They skied well however, just had to head them down and they floated up and flew nice. Telekid hit some serious drops with snow flying and catching air here and there. Telewheels and Telerock were throwing powder every which way but Teleking did something that even Telekid wanted nothing of. Skiing down a fairly steep line on a @ three foot wide tree. Started out good, then a loud scrape, bark flying, snow swirling, but he kept his balance on one ski finally releasing onto what sounded like rocks, which led to a quick stop. He too may be on Rossi Randonee skis. All in all the BC was really good for this early in the season. Arc all! Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:03 am

6o no snow blowing. That means breakable crust or boiler, will find out soon. Yesterday was 10-20+ inches of mashed potatoes. Base is there for the gonzo, now we need some 2-4 inch clippers and life will be very good. Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:34 am

-5o wind blowing. Went to lower Little Mountain, 8-10 inches of heavy powder. Telewheels had his Guides and was not impressed with my E99 and the Rossie Randonee. A 200 and a 205, so he offered me his go to ski a set of Rebounds. Both skied up well but the snow was hardening up as we went. Mostly on Rebounds just a light tilt will bring the ski around but quickly found that was not the case in the trees. Sooo had to build speed up then hammer the turn on less than perfect conditions. Still it was a blast. Deer are still up in the higher elevations, a suprise to me. Arc it, Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:54 am

Over twenty inches of base with 3 inches of powder on top at about 2400 feet. Wont need much before the skiing really takes off! Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:33 am

6o with two inches of really dry powder last night. Lightly snowing. Tested out the widest skis I have ever bought. Got a good deal at the Nordic Barn in Stowe, seems the owner, Don, delights in getting us inexpensive stuff. He found some discontinued S Bound er, boundless, 98-68-78. They don't initiate as fast as the skinnier skis but turn well. On the uphill, after slobbering green and then some blue on, the shortness meant that one had to put more zig in the zag or the tails wanted to slip under. Shot some low angle stuff not to bad. Need some skinnies though. Still working on my E99's. Will be looking for some of them and a strange ski the E 109. Have to go to our training hill for some steeps today, er unless, might have to shop. Now that hurts! Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:04 am

19o (heat wave) toured, snow continues to build, upwards of two feet in the higher hills,(northeast side). However much of that is very dry and light no resistance powder. Still like Freedan says gotta mind what the forest floor reveals. Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:04 am

Winds howling at 10o. Went on tour yesterday, several miles up into a beaver pond, moose world. Found a sizable half rack, will go back in the spring melt and find the other half. Snow at the 2600 foot zone was anywhere from 18 inches to more than two feet. Were skiing on crushable crust (can ski right through it) with @ 2 plus inches of light powder on top. Got a fire going, raved about the find, (have found four antlers in the same place on different occasions) The color in the woods was Grey, and white with some rhyme ice. Large birches and at the core of the mountain range in the swamp were some old growth cedar. An awesome spot. Skills worked on were blowing through whip, crossing ponds with breakable ice, scraping ice off the bottoms of the ski on brush, down logs skiing over breaking ice, crossing streams. Had to keep the poles up for eye scratches. Came back soaked but terribly pleased with the tour. Only disappointment were the Boundless which don't seem to be much of a BC ski. They with the 98 tip deflect easily get tangled in brush and are constantly slowed down because they are wide and the tips don't slice through the snow they plow! Ugh! Still on the hunt for some BC skis. (Rebounds were pretty damn good and I have the demolished E99's back in action.) Snows coming and we got some last night bringing the new powder to about 6 inches on the crush able crust. We are there! Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby sdswingr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:03 am

goin out today...with a foot of fresh I will report back later
Peace and Powder
-Tim

I've lived and skied the west...now it's time to punish myself and live east...not sure what went through my head.
sdswingr

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:42 am

Yesterday when we started up Little Mtn. the temp was -4o. Put on green and some blue under foot and the skis went up with ease. Telesven used his Outtabounds with blue on his gliders. cruised into the Vortex and the lighting was wonderful, blue being the tint where at 11;33 am the sun wasn't hitting yet. Checked for a place to build a BC cabin of some sort for our future skiing on the ridges. Conditions were kinda weird, with 8-12 inches of base with a not a crust but a very heavy layer that wants to grab your edge. Skidding arcs were not an option. But the skinnies when up to speed sliced through the 2-6 inches of powder and sliced through the base making for long speedy arcs. Very thrilling. In fact exhilarating!! Today will if I can, go to Training hill for some fairly deep powder skiing with a 2 foot base. Since the Boundless hasn't proven to be much of a BC ski will try them in deeper powder. If they don't work out will probably give them to Telekid. Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:59 am

Headed up to Teleknob yesterday and the skiing was good. Lightly snowing and the word was quiet, stillness. In the state clear cuts the whips are beginning to win the war, and in the forest another foot is needed to bury them. Still have to be very aware of forest debris or bad things could happen. The northeast ridge is fast becoming a steep and deep shot. On a clear cut near the road a tight course of high tree stumps made for a tight sharp drop. So more touring out into the gonzo or a trip to Little Mt. for some high speed arcs, and a 1000 foot vertical? Decisions! Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:34 am

8o 10-15 mph winds. Good ski yesterday, trying out some steeper and deeper lines. Getting less worried about forest debris as the snow mounts up. one line kinda sucks you in, very low angle, to moderate with openings through whips to a sharp drop off with some fallen tree issues. The e99's only would cut loose when heading them straight down so once committed it was ride the rail, and don't fall or even lean wrong or your done for. What fun! Telesven was blowing snow, shoulda taken the camera out but...... Will probably head up to Telecamp today, short steep drops, tree rails, deep powder, Kingdom tele burgers. Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:48 am

Never went into double digits yesterday, cold! Snow was slow and there was a lot of it! Nothing like Burlington got, man, 33+ inches!!! You have to find the steepest shots and head them down, arc at the risk of slowing down, so head em! The Boundless (from here to eternity bone less) skied well in the deep. heads up Biff Teleking took the raw photo's off the camera and has them down by New York City! He could send some as my computer won't compute. Trouble is he will make himself look good and won't put in shots of going up hill as well as down! Found (and Yad could help) that the new camera likes to focus on little branches which I don't like as the subject is trees and tele people arcing through them. The run out on the trail we set for the uphill was a blast, speedy, quick turns, snow flying. Bout in the middle the boys were testosteronin up so I told them to take off, heh, probably see you in the snow bank anyway. Telekid shoots off like a rocket with Teleking not far behind. The king pops a corner and I hit a downed tree catch and switch in mid air and on the left is a blurry snowy Telekid. A couple of chuckles later honing in on the king and he somersaults over another downed tree avoiding the sharp punjies. What a laugh!!! Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:16 am

The color was Grey up on Little Mt. Branches had Grey snow on them with a light coating of rhyme. It was as if you were looking into a primal shot of winter anywhere. Here the ridges come together in a triangle making for steep and tight sight lines. kicked in had a beer, enjoyed the view, started getting cold, took out the camera and the boys were off. (haven't seen them yet) Soo I'm looking and the only good start has two slice lines and I'm thinking that the boys stole the lines while I film them! Telekid shouts up, "shoot it", yeah! So I don't and he was right, shoulda shot it! Quickly get out of the arc and with one ski forward begin to slice for real and the feel comes back as the speed builds up. The next three hundred verts are a dream as the vortex opens up and all kinds of lines open up. A little left and I 91 is there for long high speed arcs. Telesven has snow shooting all over the place, Telekid lifting up then down into te dips snow exploding. Some good! And the trail is broken half way up to the top. Probably finish that today. Only two feet of snow on Little Mt. half of what we have up at Telecamp but the skiing is unreal! Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30 am

Been pretty cold, but Telesven Telewheels and I broke to the top of LittleMt. Man! Near the top the winds had deposited all the snow down to and in some cases including the crust on the southeast side of the hill. Think Friday we will have to drop the 1300 verts to valley below. Leave some cars over there. Had a good time with two of the boys with video cameras and the footage showed some excellent hardwood skiing in natural glades. Telekid and Telesven did the filming. On Little Mt. there still exists potential for forest debris to hassle the skier. Going down the south side will up the potential problem especially at lower levels. Might hit the training hill for deeper powder as that place has almost twice as much snow. Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Biff » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 am

Telemanarcer wrote:Been pretty cold, but Telesven Telewheels and I broke to the top of LittleMt. Man! Near the top the winds had deposited all the snow down to and in some cases including the crust on the southeast side of the hill. Think Friday we will have to drop the 1300 verts to valley below. Leave some cars over there. Had a good time with two of the boys with video cameras and the footage showed some excellent hardwood skiing in natural glades. Telekid and Telesven did the filming. On Little Mt. there still exists potential for forest debris to hassle the skier. Going down the south side will up the potential problem especially at lower levels. Might hit the training hill for deeper powder as that place has almost twice as much snow. Teleman

teleman, if you send us a digital movie file we can put that up too.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Back-Country Report