• Advertisement

TR: Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden 1/28

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

TR: Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden 1/28

Postby woodi » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:41 pm

We decided to head up into the high peaks on saturday and enjoyed a nice tour up to lake colden and back. The weather was just above freezing all day with clear skys and light wind, a spectacular spring day (sigh). Snow was relatively thin on the marcy dam truck trail, especially closer to south meadows where bare spots were growing by the afternoon. But once we got past marcy dam there was plenty of snow. I would estimate 2 feet or so up through avalanche pass and at lake colden. It was my first day using kick wax on my skis and it was a wonderful experience until my skis iced up while crossing avalanche lake and resulted in me walking with my skis on the rest of the way to the far end of lake colden. We had a nice hot lunch in a leanto on the end of colden then skiied back down. The ski trail was well packed and quite enjoyable. Overall it was a beautiful tour through the dacks. With another good snow storm I think a lot more in the dacks would be skiable but with all this rain we keep getting I dunno what to think.

Lake Colden

Avalanche Lake

Coming down the ski trail

A little friend at marcy dam
woodi

Postby Jwin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:50 am

Nice woodi, looks like the Daks have a bit more snow then we do here in Maine this year.
Jwin

Return to The Back-Country Report