• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby greatgt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:58 am

Little Mountain is getting good! Two days ago with @ a foot did a shot from above the VAST trail to Boots with some delicious arcs and wicked dips and easy unweighing to more fun.....Told Telewheels about it and said I'd get up there later...Heh...Old Telewheels aint stupit!!!!! When I got there he had gone on up to where a sharp fairly steep drop is and on his BC Objectives blew apart the forest....20 inches of powder and no trace of anything hitting the bottoms of those skis...Nice Telewheels...Thinking Sunday will probably get to the abandoned Telecamp....That could net us @ 5-600 feet...Will see! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 am

JEE_SUMMMMMM.....Got to Telecamp and we put it in order...Couple of Marines back from Irac and Afgan...put it together...We will work on it but aa good place to throw packs....get a fire in the stove.....Wondered how the e 99's Telekid wason and the short 109's I was on would work in @ 20 inches....Way down there was a layer mush crush that coated everything then heavy powder to 8 inches of lite!!!!!!! Both boys took a trial run....Telewheels seemed to be a bit faster on his BC Objectives....Telekid then knifed off all his wax!!!!!! Me I had blue wax on top of last years pink and red....Made the skis pretty fast as I soon found out....Pinned on my short e 109's....figuring I would be slow and .....zpwie they took off and head them down was the ticket....Glancing off natural moguls little round arcs were had and some pretty fast slicing blasts were had...Hoots and hollars.....snow hitting my face....Couldn't stop....At the bottom of the steepest part of the moderate steeps stopped and took pictures of the other two...Second best November ski EVER!!!!! Biff if you read this need to figure how to get pictures to you....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:08 am

Headed up onto Little Mountain....Snowing pretty good and the temps in the lower twenties....Went up into the lower Vortesx and got a ride....Snow was @ 3 inches of new with the former 8 inches of powder now sub surface made for a bit of edge grabbing on the skinnies....Telewheels on his Mondo Vectors did not have that problem the day before....Still the skis sliced through everything especially when speed was up....At the bottom Boots was just getting a fire started in his "Penthouse".....Beer was had when the temp took a spike upward with squalls ripping through....It soon began to drop and as of 7am 3 below zero with steady winds up in the teens or more....Happy Thanksgiving to all...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:09 am

Enjoyedwatching Teleking ride down from Telecamp on Little Mountasin....Snow remained real good with another 4 inches of powder...Hit six below which made for some cold smoke...Camera froze up...at least the long range lens...Might have gotten a couple with but will look later....Shopping today then a rain ski on Sunday...Tuesday 5-10 inches????? TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:25 am

Two days back the boys scored the VORTEX....Two ridges come together one side covered in soft woods and the other Hardwood....In the middle a steep V appears with a narrow opening straight down...And it is steep...For steep narrow deep forest skiing this is the ticket.....Here and there are openings to the right and left where you can spread out drop down around an hardwood and then s turn for a bit...Anyway the snow was wonderful and they got it...(I was gonna be the MAN but got to go shopping instead....Bummer!).....Yesterday in the rain we hit Teleknob a short moderate drop or a short steep drop.....Conditions were seriously heavy snow and the skiing was about that....However being higher up there was less rain than below....Quiet up there and there had been no hunters up there at all....Deep snow! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:37 pm

Broke up to Teleknob yesterday and our previous track was totally gone in places....knifed off the wax and had a good ride with some grabbies in the slush way down in.....White, quiet and deep.....Did part of the trail up to TK2 today....Deep there too...De-waxed and the ride was sweet.....Really good! Love that turn! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:13 am

Highlands today for some more breaking....Will head to Dead Moose Pond where Telewheels and I found...What else....A dead moose in a corner of the shallow pond....The entire place was ...acres....pink....from all the animals eating it...Still have parts of it at my house.....Head and rack.....If not to tired will head through Merck woods a tiny ring of softwoods in and around the pond inside of thousands of acres of hardwood ridges....A special one has very deep snow which makes for great Telemark skiing....Not sure I'll get that far! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:35 am

2-3 feet plus in the Highlands.....Broke to dead Moose Pond....Strange silent feeling....kept digging my pole in a couple of feet....Where is the ice?.....being me kept going, very slowly....Mud and grass on my baskets....then slush....Grey slush....However I was on a base of heavy snow with two layers of kinda solid slush.....kinda thought if I did the rest of the pond @ a hundred yards might be....a couple of other guys would help if I went in....Turned around and carefully skied back to where I started...Tired! aatelekid did the Vortex again! Need to get up on top of Little Mountain for some sweet powder turns....He said it was great but not as good as the day before.....In the Highlands we had six inches on the rest...Sweet powder up there and have been ROXIN.....Rob Rox hand clipping!!!!! Got a small tight gully going and it looked so goooood....Thinking that is where this old boy will get in some decent deep powder arcs today...TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 am

Some trees...uh...saplings really, had bent over after being liberated earlier in the week....Beech being the most prominent since they still have leaves on them....Smack them with beater poles and they slapped back with copious amounts of snow descending onto skier....Really white out there...Smeared in white....still @ 6 inches of changing powder.....Broke easily to the top of Teleknob on seriously beat, short 109's....Surface had slightly hardened up so going very "contour" made for cruising....At the top total quiet....No tracks or sound....slid down the first slight decent and could feel that the snow wouldn't make this perfectly easy but when in the arc snow blew out and up....First drop was tight as the Beech trees tried to take me out....Hands up in front of face...elbows out....head down but eyes out took the beating and mushed the brush.....Run outs from drops was a turn fest......the drops, shots....Build up speed turn lick fresh snow off your lips.....Got to the gully and enjoyed the fruits of Roxin....Oh yeah! Telemark makes the world a beautiful place.....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:37 am

Was raining but the higher we went the calmer it got....White world Rhyme ice hoar frost, rain ice and powder laid quietly on every surface making cruising a dream....had to take some time to make the bones glide but it was worth id...ice was sufficient to get across Dead Moose Pond and into a dark Murk woods....Saw some Moose tracks first in a while....High Hardwood ridges a thing of beauty....Got to TK1 and found the door open and five foot drifts all around....Fired up the stove and dried out....Then the winds came up and debris was everywhere...Branches twigs and ice falling all over....Ski out was wonderful as the surface was fast and easily manipulated....Good ski! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:45 am

Last couple of days was consolidation of the pack and finally a heavy pack with a dusting of an inch or so on top....Skinnies go in ! half an inch making for many straight shots with few turns excepting Hockey type turn out tele turns....Tons of debris down around here but most is insignificant twigs and such.....Deep pack just waiting for a "clipper" type storm to send us into giggles and grins....TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Weather report says you may get some fresh powder to cover that boiler plate. Track it up!
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 am

Three below and the fire needs some help.....So Rock went to get the Christmas tree....out in the woods by the Sugar House.....Strapped the skis on and found a sad little one that will be transformed into a thing of beauty....New Great Grand Daughter and New Grand Daughter will appreciate.....The thinger with the skis is they took off and the 3-4 inches of powder ignited them....on the flats!!!!!! Gonna see what happens in a few....Looking like extremely fast with the possibility for some turns again....Heh bout an 80o difference from here to there! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:32 am

So headed up to Tele Camp 2....looked in and broke up to the top of Little Mountain....Near the top went into white world of new powder and rhyme on the trees....First down found my longer e 99's were not responding all that well...It wasn't the 3 inches of pow on a grabbing crust....Binding failure....Pins pulling out of the ski...My glue job had not held up....With a thousand down to go and one good way to turn,,,,grinned and in my mind said puck it....been here done this before.....First crash leaned on my bamboo pole that Telerock had given me as he cleaned out his house in preparation for his move to Florida... Crushed it....It snapped into a zillion strips......Got a branch and grinned again....900 feet to go with a crippled ski and a branch for a pole....Telekid just shook his head and tried to find the most gentle way down a non gentle Hardwood forest slope....Damn it took a long time and then a 2 mile cruise back to the Jeep....Great to be out there and the beer was cold while watching football and did we ever howl when the Patriots lost....That was awesome!!!!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Great story! Been there...done that...on my 2.5 camber 210 E99s...got my first telecap from Don when I finally got out of the woods...
T-king says inserts are the way to go; not glued screws.
Telerock

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report