• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby greatgt » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Sooo bout 6 inches at the house....Puttered up to the Hioghlands and the roads kinda gave out....Then it got dark grey with those white thingers growing in intensity....Liked that...a lot.... Had to smash through a snow bank to park the jeep....Got out and liked the fact that somebody had broken the short trail up...No doubt twas Telekid and no doubt he was on those Rossi bc 90's....At the beginning took a short shot and liked the float....Rverywhere there was a foot...and a bit later tucked into the East North East skinny bowls up to 18 inches....Not to bad....Soon noticed a beautiful gully that has been Rob Roxed....and while tight was really looking good....Saw where the Kid shot off the steepest drop up there...After taking a couple of short sharp drops followed the Kid over...Man that was seriously good!....He took two shots and I but one...Then went up to the steepest and did that again....Face shot where two different contours met...Really liked that and the old legs holding steady while the knee was close to the boards.....headed back but detoured to a gully tucked into the Western most of the ENE and skied on up....man that gully was sweet....Same thing where to faces met and had to drop the knees way down and BAM eye face shot....After two months of ICE!!!!!! How lucky can you get? Figure will hit Little Mountain tomorrow....Less snow but the potential down is such a draw....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Wow...twas better today!!!!! Heavy fast POWDER....Lots of it!....16 - 24 inches and man it was explosive....Met a person up there and when he took off he hit a dip came up in an explosion of powder that he probably didn't even notice as it was a fine light cloud well over his head....Coulda been a decent picture....Oh well....used those Yostmark Noodles and they were really good on the moderate slope....Switched to the short e109's....Wahg they wicked blasted the steep section but I had to really get on both skis especially when hitting an unexpected dip that blew snow everywhere.....The e99's yesterday were terrific....the Noodles were wonderful.....the 109's fantastic....Two different boots also worked beautifully....Great skiing out there....TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Envy!
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 am

Your name came up at Telecamp.....Told em you had written about 80o and snorkeling...They lifted some brews to you!.......BUT......Wagh! The freeking powder is totally awesome...Totally skied out the bowl next to Telecamp....Skied out the run from the top of Three Pond Knob down....Skied out the bowl to the south....Tons of veggies Venison and some kielbasa.....And sourkrout!!!!!! The snow is sooooo gooood...Explosive on top with speed in the inside....Hero deep snow.....Man the powder was exploding up in Rhyme laden trees with powder coatings....Gawd it was great skiing....Best of the year and some of the best ever!!!!!!! Rock on Rock....And have been getting a steady three inches every day since the big storm....20 plus inches on a wicked icy base that we can't get down to.....but it covers most of any kind of obstruction....Wicked!!!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 pm

After the tooth extraction....took a short ski up on Teleknob...Totally shocked to see 4-5 new inches before noon.....If you have read the above you know how good the skiing is...It's getting better....very quiet up there....Big ledges are now rounded....Drop right over...pick up speed....wiggle waggle...If the extraction is not to bad tomorrow will head way up and out to a ridge where there will be short but big wide open spaces in the forest....Decent drop so any ski will take off in the 20+ inches with a lot more on the way....Figure will be skiing @ 30 inches by tomorrow....But the snow down in is fast which means the skis will want to surfatize with speed....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:03 am

Biff, can't help with the pictures...I didn't reduce the size or clarity....Don't see where I can downsize right now.....Don't know if Ron is having any problems with the different ones I sent him...You got Teleking and he got Telekid....Both had some decent powder shots....I know that the Highlands are going to have somewhere near three feet of powder up there but willing to bet closer to 40!......Can't wait!!!!! Thinking for this depth the longest and widest I have is the ticket....TM
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:48 am

OK you guys figure this one out....A Nature-Tele conundrum....Went up to the Highlands expecting to ski @ 40 inches of powder....Pre existing was @ 24 inches of pow everywhere.....New snow....14 inches in the trail....38 inches then?...Nope 22-24 inches with 32 on the cold North east side....Any answers????? TM
greatgt

Postby MikeK » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:35 am

I think you should check your measurements ;)
MikeK

Postby greatgt » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:56 pm

I did slap myself up side the head a few times....It was the weight of the new snow...It compressed more than it snowed.....can't say I had seen that before or if I did It didn't compute!...taking a day off today...Tomorrow though....Might have to try to break trail up above the gash like Tkid says....The problem is that it snows 2-4 each night!!!! Big problem!!!!!!!! TM
greatgt

Postby North816 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 am

you guys got buried! Mansfield stake has hit 100 inches.
North816

Postby greatgt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:56 am

Over on little Mountain we have @ 2 feet of new and it is heavy powder with soft light powder on top.... Over where you skied up here we have 10-20 of ice base...then @ two- three feet on top.....Serious powder....On Little yesterday broke up from just above Telecamp to the top....Very short stride grab whips and trees...Use your back on a tree to turn....but slow and easy got me to the top....The down was sort of strange....The Noodles like deep powder but were not friendly with the interface....Can't figure what the problem was but really had to be on them or it got squirrely..... Gonna try out some 215 e99's today in the Highlands and see what they can do...Heh!!!!!
greatgt

Postby greatgt » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:36 am

E99's were slow but the next day, yesterday the snow conditions @ 10-15 below zero....figured it would be snail slow....Hit the Noodle bottoms with Polar wax and headed up the ridge....Figured the boys were going to be on another Mountain range so took it slow in the seriously cold Mountain air....The word was QUIET....The look was a giant blanket of snow....10-20 foot ledges in some places was rounded with short air drops of 6-10 feet....Some lesser ledges were completely covered....just sharp steep drops with tons of snow cover.....The mellow top gave way to moderate and the skis took off...Surfatized at 6 inches to a foot in but the surface snow of cold smoke sliced easily...@ 8 inches of light powder on two feet of very heavy made for great turning conditions.....which is what happened...The only sound for miles around was the wagh and hoot of this skier in snowy bliss.... Headed up again, re-breaking a path that Telesven and I had broken a day past....Shot that hardwood heaven again in wonderment as a noise brought my eyes up and there skiing down the steeps was Teleking just swaying to his own tune....of...beautiful arcs and rounded turns....Back up we both went and heard a sound and there was Telewheels....The snow was flying for sure now as we all delighted in the moment....Below zero cold smoke in mid March...After skiing glacial ice most of the season who would have thunk?????? TM
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:05 am

Enjoy the last day of winter today. I may be able to post reduced size pictures for you if you email them to me. I see it was -23 over at my camp in NY last night; appears your snow will last for at least another week. Low 80s and 2-6 knott winds here in the keys...another day planned out on the water.
Attachments
9BC7AB38-AA2F-4443-8A87-F6BF2432B65A.jpeg
9BC7AB38-AA2F-4443-8A87-F6BF2432B65A.jpeg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Telerock

Postby greatgt » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:31 pm

Stay warm Rock! heh, 18 below at Telekings! Snow is great and we know this is Mid march with April just around the corner.....When are you heading North?....And where is your camp in the dac's? Town?...Keep forgetting....Missing the Mayhem!!!!!!!....Far as pictures will see if I can send them to you then you send them to Biff?...You would think I could would and should know but thinking you know me so convoluted it is!....Skiing is soooo good...Even an oldie can turn the skis lose....and the ride on the North East side of Teleknob is great....Enjoyed the below zero skiing Rock!!!!! TM..
greatgt

Postby Telerock » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Plan to return to Floodwood Santa Clara NY in early May. Would be up for corn on Mansfield or Washington.
Miss the tele-turns (and of course the witty repertoire at camp).
Photo today at Bahia Honda.
Attachments
450F3BED-C49D-4A25-8785-FB11A53FD5CD.jpeg
450F3BED-C49D-4A25-8785-FB11A53FD5CD.jpeg (15.22 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Telerock

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report