• Advertisement

Kingdom Tele boys BC report

From Mt. Washington to Big Jay what's the scoop. BC conditions, trip reports,or a great "hidden gem".

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: Kingdom Tele boys BC report

Postby Telemanarcer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Hit some short drops up in the Highlands....Snowing real good and the stuff is creamy fast...Lots of fun seeing my grandson laying down s turns on leathers, pins and double camber....See another Tele recruit....Yesterday having a coffee at 8:30 or so when there is Telekid with a big grin and snow on his leathers....He had shot up the thousand in 34 minutes a pretty good time....He laid some beautiful tracks down the East side in very fast and consolidated powder....So, hey, up I went....Man it was so good....This is the last powder from the big Nor'easter....and it has morphed into very fast grainy pow....And now it has 4-5 inches of fresh cream.....Wicked....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 am

Sensing this might be the last of the big storm of powder and signs of Spring.......The boys skied in a frenzy of exploding powder....demolishing dips....catching air....wild turns....rocket riding.....Man it was fun just watching and photographing....Highlands Telecamp is a Natural Park so to speak....and the Boys played....Will send Biff two as he likes that number...Raining today, at 30o.....Times are a changing….Teleman

Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 am

Humorous....All the Boys were using double camber relatively skinny skis....North knows this area but it hadn't been skied in a long time....Last of the powder from the BIG powder dump with 5-6 inches of cream.....Even the "UP" trail down was fun...See Mike and crew are starting up on downhill skis...Vectors...What a riot and they still don't understand what killed Telemark...Well Boys and Girls it's alive and well up in TELELAND....without downhill equipment because Tele is a Nordic turn. Gawd wish some of you could FEEL the FEEL on true Nordic when doing the Tele Dance.....Like most of you I have gone wider as my age increases.....109's and Mike and friends it ain't easy but the effort is soooo worth it....In the above photo's the Boys were on Rossi BC 90's (189) and Rebounds….TM

Telemanarcer

Postby North816 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:41 am

nice photos! looks like a perfect bluebird day. hopefully more snow is coming this week.

pretty funny that "going wider" for you Tman means those E109's that are like 78mm at the tip? Nowadays people call skis that are 100mm at the tip "skinny". I like that E109 profile a lot, got a few tours on my Sbound 78's this year with the same dimensions, 200cm, they felt really good and natural with the ST binding and Andrew boots. Anything wider and I struggle to get the skis up on edge with light boots.
North816

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:49 am

As of now the weatherman is saying 6-12 this Friday....But...In the Highlands and out by camp who knows?....Next time North if the skiing is good we will bring you to "Little Mountain"....@ 1000 feet with @hundred's of acres of wide open Hardwood bowls....rolls....Just mind boggling...Probably hit that Sunday....Will see...Sap is going to flow big this afternoon.....Have made around 15-20 gallons this year and yesterday the first A-M amber with the rest all Fancy.....How do you like the S70?...Was looking at that ski....All S bound from the start have been good.....Like the e109 because for an old timer they have heft....When I hit an drift the shorter 109's get knocked about....@ 190 they won't!!!!! Also they ride just beautiful....Love being able to turn them easily then just ride the arc....Have to call Don over at the Nordic Barn to see what he has found out....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Bummer, Don at Nordic barn says the e 109 has not been imported for four years....He is putting it on his list so if one comes across his area he will get them...Also was heading over to St. Jay when I spied a truck and trailer with Backcountry something or other on it...Turned around and stopped...Backcountry says I....Zaaaat you Teleman?.."huh"....BC mag going to Sugarloaf in Maine....but....they had a broken spring and that was going slow them down getting to "Basecamp"....Hadn't seen Adam in years....Hope they made it!!!! Skiing today was close to fantastic....Proverbial turn on a dime...Telekid had broken to the top of Little Mountain then descended the steeps down raging about the ease of turns. Ok, so I went to the Highlands...(Bout 200 feet of knob with anything you want to ski from mellow to steep....Broke the wax trail up and within yards of the top Teleking came up the broken trail and yelled...Teleman!...Damn half deaf as I am that made me jump! We went down the mellow side and had a fantastic run of blasting powder with some tight turns and some riding Tele-Arcs...Really good...Teleking then went up and we shot him coming down the steeper section....Camera malfunction so up he went again. Got a few but hope tomorrow will be better….TM

Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:51 am

Yesterday up in the Highlands with @ 8-14 inches of new cream turn on a dime head them down close to year ending powder....Just fantastic....Teleking really slayed the powder...Zowie! TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:34 am

@ 50 gallons of Fancy and A-M amber...And looking like that might be close to the end as the weather isn't going to co-operate much longer....Sooooo back to skiing soon and it looks like we got something out there....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 am

Jeeebers...was Sunday a great sunny day or what?.....Headed up to Teleknob early....This Nubbin is just off the seriously muddy road...at the top of a 2200 foot Gap, making for way easy access...Looking out on the way up could see powder but how much?....Bout three inches as we departed the car and headed up with full packs....This was going to be an outdoor fire ski and board party and by gawd it was!!!!! Teleking, Telekid and I got to the Northeast steeps and started up....I stopped to take a picture of the Shadowy woods, all rounded, a heavy blanket of grainy fast POWDER....The two others hit it and I just had a blast watching....And took a picture or two....Soon Telewood arrived and the hunt for the perfect place for fire and sun...We found three hollow trees but not the right exposure so went back to the top of the knob over looking Burke Mountain and Washington of the Whites....The knob was wonderful with all of us going to places not visited in years...Some on the West side while others on the South....Turns were often and lots of fun in the pow....Soon Boarder Liz and Boarder Tim showed up with their son and added to the Spring fling atmosphere....As Telekid said headed up in powder and came down in corn...Wow! ™

Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 am

0 to 20 inches top to bottom with a few lip whip shots....No blood though.....Big tree wells but some sweet sugar corn and no rotting collapses....Just birds out there and very quiet except for the sound of wool being destroyed....Did my rendition of Rob Rox working ski but sans equipment....Hand ripping branches and might even remember some hand clippers this morning...MIGHT!!!!! Possible we could get across Dead Moose Pond but.....Could ski the tops of Beaver Dams...but....Cause over there where North skied there is still lots of snow....Will see! Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby North816 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 am

Happy 4/20 to all! Looking forward to NECANN in Boston this weekend.
North816

Postby Telemanarcer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:07 am

Got in a ski yesterday up on the knob....Going fast but still top to bottom if you don't count leaves....lichen....branches....limbs....Skiing with Telekid was really fun....The best was a short diagonal slide and the Kid slid....good! Will hit some slopes at Stowe on any given sunny warm day....TM

Telemanarcer

Postby Telemanarcer » Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 am

Puttered into Telekids mud season driveway and Mt. Mansfield was lit up....Sun b lasting White as snow were the trails....Telekid out the door in shorts headed back in saying he needed to re think what he was wearing.....Called Telewood and he said he would be up to our place in about an hour and then we would hit Stowe for perfect corn....Worked on the Horseshoe pits...and a line of clouds appeared....Drifted toward us....When overhead it started to sleet....Stowe was still lit!....Telewoods arrived and we got the Jeep ready...Everybody getting clothes on....er....Decided to check out Boots....Never got to go as the sleet kept coming but Horseshoes was good and finally a fire....Damn need a HOT day for this old boy to hit the dwindling snow...TM
Telemanarcer

Postby flyingcow » Tue May 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Telemanarcer wrote:Puttered into Telekids mud season driveway and Mt. Mansfield was lit up....Sun b lasting White as snow were the trails....Telekid out the door in shorts headed back in saying he needed to re think what he was wearing.....Called Telewood and he said he would be up to our place in about an hour and then we would hit Stowe for perfect corn....Worked on the Horseshoe pits...and a line of clouds appeared....Drifted toward us....When overhead it started to sleet....Stowe was still lit!....Telewoods arrived and we got the Jeep ready...Everybody getting clothes on....er....Decided to check out Boots....Never got to go as the sleet kept coming but Horseshoes was good and finally a fire....Damn need a HOT day for this old boy to hit the dwindling snow...TM

In just about a decade of knowing Biff, I've learned three things from him:

1) 50/50 weight distribution is king.
2) When you feel like you're getting onto your inside ski way too early in the turn, you're almost at 50/50 weight distribution.
3) Never play horseshoes with the Kingdom Tele Boys.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Telemanarcer » Wed May 03, 2017 6:22 am

One outta three ain't bad! 50-50 is a goal but almost never achieved...Possible at a ski area but in the bush....Very difficult to achieve....On Little Mountain we have the East side which has small bowls in every direction and wide open....I mean a thousand feet of nearly no whips and openings everywhere....Telekid skis there with his TELE-phone in one hand poles in the other...Hope to send the film to Teast...As he heads down his line he has a zillion + choices and each drop adds to the total...Left right or center makes no difference....just new possibilities...You should come over sometime when the snow is fast pow and be awed what Nature provides....You won't be thinking 50-50...you will be immersed and in and on, riding a cloud....heading anywhere and taking plunge after plunge riding the powder storm....And FC when done, fire....Beer....Buzz...food....Most important....lots of laughs...Gotta watch out for the King in shoes...If you allow him to build confidence he can be THE KING....so you have to ring him early and often or he will bury us....TM
Telemanarcer

PreviousNext

Return to The Back-Country Report