• Advertisement

Jay Peak 2/17 - 2/21 2018

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Jay Peak 2/17 - 2/21 2018

Postby Go Fish » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm

This hill is so fun!

Over the last 5 days my family and I sampled a little bit of everything that Jay has to offer. A modest amount of powder, scraped off "Wachusett-like" conditions, rain skiing and full on spring corn. To say the weather up there was variable is understating it. Our room was right at the base of the tram so my commute to the slopes was pretty easy. I was able to get the first bus to the top each morning and I met up with my wife and daughter after they dragged their butts out of bed. they typically skied until noonish a then hit the water park, leaving me to get in a few more runs on the days my legs still had some gas.

Day 1 was on 7" of medium water content powder. It wasn't the fluff you get in Wyoming but it wasn't Sierra Cement either. I got 3 top to bottom runs in and found large sections of untracked on each run. There is just so much room for people to spread out and it wasn't terribly crowded. Some of the wind drifted areas in the trees and on the trail edges were knee deep. I completely fell in love with my new Rustlers (more on that in the Gear section). I dragged the girls to the summit and we skied Ullrs Dream together. 2.3 miles of blue terrain that had all three of us grinning ear to ear. The wind was pretty tough up top so we finished up on the lower mountain messing around in low angle trees that had been thinned a bit to make it more fun for kids...it made it really fun for me as well. After they had enough I got in two more runs off of the summit before my legs completely crapped out.

Day 2 I was sore and had to resort to a fist full of ibuprofen and lower angle stuff. There was still little stashes of untracked snow in the trees and the groomed runs were hero snow. The crowds showed up to help scrape it all down. After a big bowl of miso ramen form Miso Hungry (the best ramen I have had outside of Japan), I hit the water park with the girls and spent most of the time hogging one of the stronger jets in the hot tub. The wind came up really strong through the night.

Day 3 started out was sunny and cold and they only good snow was where the groomers had done their thing. The wind overnight scoured the ungroomed trails down to ice and rock. The low angle trees were still a hoot with my little one. By the end of the day it was 40 and raining.

Day 4 was a total wash out. Temps were in the high 30's - low 40's and it was a steady rain all day. The summit was pea soup fog and driving rain so it was one run for me and none for the girls. The grown ups managed some pretty solid day drinking while the kid messed around at the indoor climbing center and the water park. The rain broke overnight and a roaring front came through to bring the temps way up.

Day 5 began at 55 degrees with all of the upper mountain lifts on a wind hold. The sun was out and you could clearly see the damage the rain had done to the upper mountain. There was a little bit of dirt on the steep stuff on Day 1 but now there were huge patches of dirt and rocks that forced the closure of a bunch of runs. The the online mountain report this morning said that "the hill is holding on like a kitten in a motivational poster". I was a little slow out of bed so we all skied together. There were several great runs off of the Jet lift in super forgiving consolidated corn before the temps went to 65 and the water really started pouring down the hill. We were done at lunch. tired and happy.

I may try a few runs tomorrow morning but I doubt it will go well. It is raining again and it is supposed to get down into the teens overnight. It is going to be an inclined hockey rink in the morning.

I think this resort is the very best New England has to offer. The skiing is fantastic and there is so much more to keep families busy. Two big fat thumbs up!
Go Fish

Re: Jay Peak 2/17 - 2/21 2018

Postby rockdaletj » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Sounds like you guys are having a great trip. Thanks for the report!! Pow, corn and day drinking make a decent week
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Re: Jay Peak 2/17 - 2/21 2018

Postby Go Fish » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 pm

We left on Friday, a day early, because the skiing was grim. When we arrived Jay had 97 trails open, when we left there were 30 something trails open. If the trail had enough cover but it couldn't be groomed, it was not open. The number of trails that fit into the too bare or to icy to be safe category was staggering.

Don't forget: Climate change is a hoax.
Go Fish

Return to Ski Area Conditions