• Advertisement

Big Squaw

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Big Squaw

Postby Go Fish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 pm

So...Were up here in Greenville, Maine during school vacation week executing a deliberate attempt to avoid the hoards of bored, ill behaved kids that swamp every ski area within a 3 hour drive of Boston. The experience has been fantastic. It is far enough down frost heaved, ice packed roads that actually take a physical toll to drive down to keep the wannabees back where they belong. The only people we have encountered while we have been invading their space are super friendly and genuinely happy...that doesn't happen where I live.

Big Squaw ski area is a fantastic story. In the 60's it was #3 for elevation and ski-able acres in Maine. Sunday River and Shugarloaf were 1 and 2, respectively. In it's hay day, big Squaw had almost 1800 feet of vert and was served by 3 lifts. There was a lodge and a hotel...and then it all fell apart. Skiers stopped showing up and a string of dirt bag owners promising to use the grant money to fix the place up just took the money and ran.

The current owner was bound up by a bunch of court orders and at least a portion of the money he tried to run with is in a trust building interest for the community volunteers that are trying to rebuild a once great ski area. Folks that like to ski and are trying to keep the option open for their young people just donate time and considerable effort to keep an old gem shining.

My family and I skied it and it was a ton of fun. Only the lower lift is running so the vert is in the 1K range. There is nothing challenging about the terrain that is open and it is a traditional 3 seat chair lift that conveys skiers, at a snails pace, up the hill. But that gives you time to chat and tell stories about how daddy rode lifts like this for most of his life. The view is worth the price of admission:

The really cool thing about Big Squaw is that the upper mountain is still fully ski-able and no one will give you grief about slapping on some skins and heading up to the unused terrain. I saw tracks in the runs on the upper mountain through what had to have been ass deep powder when they were made. The tracks were big and smeared out and could have only been made by a telemarker with his/her body participating in the flotation. Based on my assessment, the upper mountain runs are appropriately steep, largely un-skied and so very, very tempting. It looked like the stuff I played in while I lived in WY...only there were trees and the truck was parked a couple of miles away.
Go Fish

Re: Big Squaw

Postby Go Fish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:16 pm

For those who may be interested, here is a link to the history of Big Squaw:

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Maine/squawmtn.php

There is also some info at NELSAP but it seems to be outdated.
Go Fish

Return to Ski Area Conditions