• Advertisement

2016/2017 Wachusett Thread

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: 2016/2017 Wachusett Thread

Postby Go Fish » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Snow Report: February 4, 2016

Calling this a "Snow Report" is a bit of a stretch. What is going on right now at Wachusett is an engineered surface that is fully acceptable for sliding upon with tele skis. The slopes are very firm but very accepting of a ski edge.

I had a blast today. My favorite thing is to lay my skis over and let them do what they were designed for. The conditions today provided for unlimited grip so I was hanging it out like I meant it. No shiny patches to worry about...the only worrying thing was that my legs are not as strong as they used to be.

I'm not going to complain if we get some fresh snow. It will make everything better. I'm also not going to complain about really good conditions in spite of feeble contributions by Mother Nature.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:13 pm

Snow Report, February 10, 2017:

I skied the Wa with my munchkin tonight and it was fantastic. There was a bit, and I mean a tiny bit, of scratchy stuff on the trails served by the Polar Express lift but everything off of the Minuteman lift was like butter.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Snow Report: February 2, 2017

Today I realized how incredibly lucky the Wachusett locals have been this season. As we all know, there really hasn't been any natural snow until this last storm. The downside is that the conditions haven't been fantastic. The upside is that people don't think about going skiing if there is no snow in their yard. Today it was a mob scene. At 8:45 the upper lot was closed and the line up to get into Lot 3 was out onto Route 140...the parking pass that I bought paid for itself today.

I was on the snow shortly after getting my rug rat into her class and I was really pleased with the conditions. The massive hoards of people were not on the hill yet and the snow was really really good. By 10:00 the lines were bordering on stupid. By 11:00 it was a 20 minute wait for a chair and all of the perfectly groomed natural snow was scraped down to the bedrock ice. The sides of the runs were still great but there were just too many people to enjoy it.

Next weekend we are going to be in Maine for school vacation week. I'm looking forward to laps at Big Squaw, some trips into the trees and the absence of the "couple times a year" crowd.
Go Fish

Postby rockdaletj » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:38 pm

I had a feeling it was going to be crazy this weekend after the weather. I had the rare opportunity to ski the storm day Thursday, and it was worth it. Pounding snow, tracks filling in on each run, and noone on the hill. This weekend was a retreat into the woods, skins and fresh snow on Watatic Saturday, and fishscales and pow in the falling snow this afternoon!
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:16 am

Lay some tracks for me. I'm in Hong Kong right now and I'm bummed that I am not there.

My wife sent me a video of her touring around our neighborhood in a pounding snow with our peeps and my dog. Knife to the heart.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Snow Report: February 25, 2017

This was one of the most full on strange days that I have been on snow. WaWa was in a cloud, it was 60+ degrees F and the method of conveyance down the hill was a combination of spring snow skiing and water skiing. Remember...it is February for fu*#s sake.

I missed last weekend because I was up north, but, when I left there was a ton of white stuff over the dirt and everything was good. The conditions back during "winter" weren't great but there was no worry about developing ski core damage. Today the hard stuff was poking through the white stuff and it was a bit stressful.

What was left of the snow wasn't bad for April but it sort of sucks that this thaw is happening in February. It was a mix of hard stuff and soft to mushy stuff. No death ice, no knee wrenching mashed potatoes. Starting with the conditions today and adding the weather forecast for the coming week, I don't think WaWa will be open next weekend.

I hope these are not the parting shots from my home hill.

Winter flowing down:

Surprise afternoon rainbow:

Go Fish

Postby Brenda » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:55 pm

:cry:
Brenda

Postby Go Fish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Brenda - there might be cause to turn that frown up-side-down.

The WaWa website has been promising that they will turn on the snow guns as soon as the temps cool down. Well...it seems that tomorrow night is when that will happen. After that we will be in the low teens for most of the weekend. :D

We will likely be skiing in a machine made blizzard but it beats the hell out of not skiing.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 pm

For those of you that don't obsess about Wachusett, they (the ski area) spent a very large sum of money on some huge pumps to push lots of water up hill and had them installed last summer. This past week showed why that was a brilliant idea. You are all well aware that it was late spring/early summer around here not to long ago. Last weekend I skied with the temps around 70 degrees F. Water was flowing down the hill. I was sure Wachusett was going to close.

We had one cold night.

The conditions toady were actually pretty good. The snow was weird... but the dirt from last weekend was gone and the strange snow provided a surface to slide on. Skiing on it felt like pulling a razor blade through Styrofoam. Skis got an edge but pushing things too fast made the support fall apart.

The amount of snow stacked up in swales from the snow guns is staggering. The groomers will be able to push them around to cover things up for quite a while.
Go Fish

Postby rockdaletj » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Sorry I missed you yesterday, my mind had shifted into spring mode and I was picking up and dialing in my new bike. Today surprised the hell out of me! It felt like winter. Bluebird, fresh man-made snow, no crowds! Super edgeable snow , wind drifts on the edges, fun piles to air off of all over! Let's keep this season cranking!
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:16 pm

rockdaletj - Be sure to find me next Saturday. We can rip it up on the machine pow...and I have a mounting jig for you.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 am

Snow Report: March 9, 2017

The conditions last night were not ideal but at least the dirt is still covered up. I arrived on scene around 5:00 and had a few runs while the snow was still soft from the warm temps during the day. It was a mix of carve-able bedrock ice, death cookies and loose granular. The conditions got more and more challenging as the surface set up but they got the groomers back on it before it reached nightmare status. I essentially spent the night stalking the snow cats for first or very early tracks on fresh corduroy.

The place was deserted. There were a group of college racers training, a few folks taking lessons and a very low number of folks free skiing. I and my Thursday night crew had entire runs to ourselves later in the evening. It was pretty nice.

I spent some time chatting with one of the guys from the snow making team and they are gearing up to drain the pond on Friday night to spiff things up for the weekend. Saturday and Sunday should be pretty good.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Snow Report: March 11, 2017

The snow making capability at this little hill never ceases to amaze me. The runs were in fine shape today.

Thursday it was too warm to make snow and my previous report covers those conditions. Friday started out too warm but at some point on Friday night the temps got the the happy spot and, based on what I skied this morning and afternoon, the snow making crew fired up the big pumps and gave Ma nature a huge boost.

It was really cold today. the temp at the summit never broke 10 F and it was well below zero for most of the morning. Remember, it was above freezing just yesterday...in spite of that there was no ice on the runs...none. Between Friday night and Saturday morning they got enough manufactured snow on the slopes to make it really enjoyable. The surface was really firm and really fast but there was no problem getting edges into it. It was a full on blast to slide on.

The lines were non-existent. The snow was great...and who doesn't like wearing 4 layers, that includes a down sweater, in March.
Go Fish

Postby rockdaletj » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Sorry I missed you yesterday GoFish, had a lot of stuff going on and had to take the day off from skiing.
I went up early this morning, and I have to imagine conditions were similar to yesterday. No ice, fully hero snow with big whales everywhere to play on.Did nonstop laps from 815 til 12 and never waited in line. Bluebird, breezy and cold!! Looking forward to next weekend!!
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Proxy Snow Report: March 15, 2017

I had every intention of playing hooky from work today but my plans were ruined by...work.

My neighbor, a retired woman of substantial skiing ability, was kind enough to stop by to let me know that the conditions were the best of the year. She used words like fast, grippy, soft and uncrowded...I hate it when I don't get to use those words.

Get out if you can. I'll be there Friday after work...stupid work getting in the way of fun...
Go Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Ski Area Conditions