• Advertisement

2016 Wachusett Thread

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: 2016 Wachusett Thread

Postby rockdaletj » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Hope you guys are taking advantage of this beautiful weekend! Sadly, I'm working 18 hour shifts because of the storm damage. I was hoping to make it up there tomorrow, but I'll be working until at least 4. GoFish...I'll keep those stiffy springs in my truck for you, sorry I won't be able to catch up tomorrow! Rip some turns for me!
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:58 pm

2/7/16 Report:

It was a happy/sad day.

The conditions were perfect. The 8" that fell was nicely groomed and it was soft but not mushy. The sun was shining with the high beams on and there was no wind. It could not have been better.

The Polar Express lift was down until 3:00. All of the considerable traffic was on the Minuteman and Manadnock lifts. It was grim. 25 minute lift lines were the norm.

I was skiing with a crew of 3 footers today and in spite of the Disney style waits, it was great. There was no whining about cold and there was some epic farting around in the super long lift lines. At one point we had most of the people around us belting out songs from the Frozen movie...I would rather slam my fingers in a car door than watch that movie again but deep knowledge of the song lyrics came in handy today.

All I can say is: make lemonade...it beat the hell out of sitting on the couch.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:16 pm

2/18 Report:

Holy $#!+ it was fast tonight. It was 10 F at the summit and mid teens at the base and the death ice left behind by the rain earlier this week had been converted into a frictionless surface that took an edge if you worked at it. Proper angulation was key and when I coaxed my body and legs into the right configuration it was rewarded. There are some shiny spots that Body couldn't get an edge into but they can be avoided once they are identified. Crowds were non-existent...surprising for vacation week.

I've got my fingers crossed for snow events forecast for Sat this week and Wed of next week. With 6" WaWa will be back in the black.
Go Fish

Postby rockdaletj » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Today started off cloudy and drizzly, but around 9:30 the sun came out for some great visibility and really fun corn skiing. All of the Summit trails got very soft, but not grabby. Tomorrow should be fun as well, it shouldn't set up too firm tonight.
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Surprisingly firm on the upper mtn. early. Lower mtn. was butter at 9:30 and the upper mtn. followed suit by 11:00. It was slushy spring conditions when we pulled the plug around 3:00.

I had my family on the hill today and it was fantastic. The sun was shining, the snow played nice and there was no one there. Minuteman was 5 minutes tops and Polar Express was under 2 minutes. We had lunch on the deck and farted around in the woods at Bullock after we ate cider donuts. I wish it was always like today.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:05 pm

We are into the freeze/thaw cycle at WaWa. If it is above freezing it will be fun. If it is below freezing...make sure your edges are sharp and tighten up your form.

Tonight was below freezing and the hill was a brick. Edges of runs had scraped up corn with death marbles mixed in. Middles were shiny and to hard to get a ski to bite.

The hill needs a storm or spring..I'm hoping for a storm.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:51 am

I failed to mention: There is still a ton of "snow" on the slopes. What is covered is covered well and it looked like they were gearing up to make snow on Conifer and 10th last night.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Snow Report 3/6/16:

I need to buy the grooming/snow making crew at Wachusett a case of beer. Today the snow was really fun. It was fast, it took an edge, the sun was out...no complaints. I learned today that snow was strategically made to cover up the nasty ice that seemed to be everywhere when I skied this past Thursday, There was still some shiny parts but they were small and manageable. Warm days are the key right now.Ski it while you can. The distinct lack of people today makes me think WaWa will close in the next 2-3 weeks.
Go Fish

Postby Brenda » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:46 pm

It's been a blast at Wa Wa on warm days--they have done a terrific job this season.
Brenda

Postby Go Fish » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:36 am

3/9 Snow Report

I skied the night shift last night and I have to say that it was one of the strangest on-snow experiences that I have ever had. First run was at 7:00. It was dark out but it was still 62 degrees F at the base. The temps bottomed out at 50 F by 8:30. The snow was variable and very, very weird. There was reasonably fun slushy corn on the edges of the runs and a surprisingly hard snow/ice like substance with plenty of dirt poking through in the middle. Water was flowing down 10th Mountain in some locations. Near the surface of the snow, the air temperature must have been at or below the dew point. Portions of runs that were protected from the light winds had a thin layer of fog that made it really difficult to see if you should be running skis over that surface.

I got a few reasonably fun runs in before better judgement took hold and I started to feel like a dirt induced wreck was imminent.

If they get the 1.5 inches of rain that is forecast for today and into tomorrow it will likely be the death blow for the season.
Go Fish

Previous

Return to Ski Area Conditions