• Advertisement

2016 Wachusett Thread

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

2016 Wachusett Thread

Postby Go Fish » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:15 pm

Just like the 14/15 season, it has been a slow start at Wachusett. Warm temps made early season snow making really tough. In spite of that, conditions on the four to six runs that were open as of last weekend were pretty good. It was soft and carveable when it was warm and hard and technical when it was cold...but you could slide on it.

On Sunday of this week there were 4 runs open. Tonight there were 12. I showed up after the sun went down so it was cold and hard but the coverage on open terrain is fantastic. I had the pleasure of skiing 10th Mtn. right after it was groomed and it made me really happy. The rest of the night was spent loving the parts with soft snow and managing the the parts that were hard.

Do your thing for Ulr...we need some natural snow to get this season into full swing.
Go Fish

Re: 2016 Wachusett Thread

Postby rockdaletj » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Hey! Haven't seen you up there yet this season. Today was super fun carvable soft snow, and a total lack of visibility with the fog hanging over the hill. Let's hope tomorrow's rain doesn't hurt it too bad, and back to snowmaking temps next week! They're doing a great job with the hand Mother Nature has dealt so far this winter.
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Brenda » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:43 pm

We had out AMC telemark clinic there yesterday, and yes, the conditions were pretty stellar all day. Probably the lowest turnout I've ever seen though, which I am sure is due to the fact that we've barely seen winter. Despite only skiing a 1/2 day at WaWa last weekend, I felt good even after skiing all day. Hoping things don't get too decimated, but wow is it raining out there. Ugh.
Brenda

Postby Go Fish » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Sorry I missed you guys on Saturday...although you pretty much couldn't see anyone unless they were standing next to you in the lift line.

I drove up there today to drop off some skis for tuning. It was pretty miserable and I did not ski but it looked like the hill was holding together. No doubt there will be some bare spots when this rain is all done but the temps are going to be below freezing all week. Count on the snow guns to be sounding as soon as the temps drop below 32. They got 60+ acres open in a week so I have no doubt the hill will bounce back very quickly.
Go Fish

Postby rockdaletj » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:50 am

Brenda wrote:We had out AMC telemark clinic there yesterday, and yes, the conditions were pretty stellar all day. Probably the lowest turnout I've ever seen though, which I am sure is due to the fact that we've barely seen winter. Despite only skiing a 1/2 day at WaWa last weekend, I felt good even after skiing all day. Hoping things don't get too decimated, but wow is it raining out there. Ugh.

Brenda, I saw a few groups up there, I figured you were doing a clinic. I should have stopped to say hi.
Will you guys be up there again?
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:05 am

1/21/16 Report

Conditions were firm last night but not like the boilerplate from last Sunday. They had guns top to bottom on Conifer and 10th and by the end of the night 10th was actually pretty soft. Smith was the best of the three with crunchy carvable snow on the steep bit and nicely groomed man made at the bottom. The lower mountain is in really good shape.

I predict that they will be edge to edge on the summit runs by the end of this weekend.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:03 pm

1/28/16 Report

This evening me and the crew were lucky enough to be standing in the Polar Express lift line as the snow cats passed by after finishing their groom of Conifer. That was the first run of the night and it was actually pretty spectacular. By the time we were headed down, the corduroy was tracked up but the snow was soft and carveable. The rest of the runs off the summit had some hard shiny spots in the middle but the edges were nice.

The best fun was had on some bumps that were tucked into a corner on Hitchcock. The moguls had nice shape and the angle was low so it was a riot to ski them.

This time last year I was raving about the conditions after the first of the big storms. I wish I was doing that again but I'm happy to report that WaWa is skiing fine in spite of the lack of natural snow.
Go Fish

Postby Bern » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 am

I've been sticking with XCD but been thinking about heading up to Wachusetts. It is probably 45 F here today and I saw two men playing tennis at the public courts at the town common. Makes it difficult to believe there is skiing anywhere. I may head up to Mt Abram to Biff's stupendous bacchanalia even if it is quite a haul from here. I really need to get out more.
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Postby Brenda » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm finding it hard to get motivated to drive very far, so maybe yad, Rider.Steve and I will hit WaWa this weekend. I'd love to go to Cannon, but I'm not sure it's worth the drive.
Brenda

Postby OnEdge » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:35 pm

I skied WaWa this morning, conditions overall were very good. This weekend there will be U14 and U16 racing on Smith. Saturday, racing on lower only, Sunday the trail will be used top to bottom.
OnEdge

Postby rockdaletj » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:52 pm

The snow was very fast and fun today. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and Monday with the temps warming up. I'll be out early tomorrow morning to beat the crowds...hope to catch some folks up there
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:03 pm

1/31/16 Report:

There was an unplanned Telemarkeast.com festival at Wachusett this morning. I ran into Brenda and Yad in the lift line and then we added rockdaletj a little bit later. Crowds were surprisingly light untill about 11:00 but we stuck it out as a group until about 11:45 because the snow was unbelievable! Who would have predicted a perfect spring day on the 31st of January? The snow was like butter. A ski on edge bit deep and gave that "I can do no wrong" feeling that we so rarely get at Wachusett.

There was a race going on Smith so we were limited to the lower mtn., 10th and Conifer. In spite of the reduced terrain, it did not feel like a weekend at WaWa until 11:00 or so. The 14 year old GoPro-on-the-helmet crew showed up in force and made it a little dicey but the snow was so much fun that it was just too hard to bail.

After our little Fest wrapped up, I picked up my munchkin from her lesson and took advantage of the hero snow for her first run ever from the Summit lift. What a great day! I got to ski with some fantastic pin heads and I got a heaping helping of "proud daddy" to boot.
Go Fish

Postby Yad » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:56 am

We spent the afternoon working on the vast mogul fields and did laps on the slow triple once they opened it up in the afternoon.
Yad

Postby Biff » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:36 am

Go Fish wrote:1/31/16 Report:

There was an unplanned Telemarkeast.com festival at Wachusett this morning. I ran into Brenda and Yad in the lift line and then we added rockdaletj a little bit later. Crowds were surprisingly light untill about 11:00 but we stuck it out as a group until about 11:45 because the snow was unbelievable! Who would have predicted a perfect spring day on the 31st of January? The snow was like butter. A ski on edge bit deep and gave that "I can do no wrong" feeling that we so rarely get at Wachusett.

There was a race going on Smith so we were limited to the lower mtn., 10th and Conifer. In spite of the reduced terrain, it did not feel like a weekend at WaWa until 11:00 or so. The 14 year old GoPro-on-the-helmet crew showed up in force and made it a little dicey but the snow was so much fun that it was just too hard to bail.

After our little Fest wrapped up, I picked up my munchkin from her lesson and took advantage of the hero snow for her first run ever from the Summit lift. What a great day! I got to ski with some fantastic pin heads and I got a heaping helping of "proud daddy" to boot.

Very cool.

Wow, maybe we should get hats or something…. :)
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Brenda » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:04 am

Wicked fun day and great to meet you GoFish and rockdaletj! When the snow is good, WaWa can be a lot of fun. yad and I had discussed going further afield, but both of us wanted to spare ourselves a long drive. Lift lines were loooong in the afternoon, but we made the best of it right up till the end working the bumps. I also had an "aha" bumps moment thanks to yad's helpful pointers. Good to put in some mileage on the legs because I just know we WILL get snow someday.
Brenda

Next

Return to Ski Area Conditions