• Advertisement

The 14/15 Wachusett Thread

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: The 14/15 Wachusett Thread

Postby OnEdge » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:37 pm

With a son racing with WMRT, I have been there every day since Sunday. They blew a lot of snow between Monday and today. Coverage was good on the 3 summit trails today. They were firm but they skied well and were consistent and fast. Snow was blowing on all the trails on the Minuteman lift side so I only did one run on Ralph's to warm up, but they put down a ton of snow overnight on Tuesday. My guess is they will have the park open for the weekend which will take traffics off the other trails. With a soccer conflict on Saturday, I won't be back until Sunday.
OnEdge

Postby BadDNA » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:46 pm

1/1/15 Wachusett Snow Report

I stuck to the lower mountain since I'm still building confidence but here are my impressions.

They're making as much snow as they can and while it's still only man-made it's better than nothing. Sundowner and Easy Rider had just enough snow blown on them to continue to be viable for a couple more weeks while they seemed to be concentrating on mid mountain. Ralph's had a ton of new snow but was pushed out to widen the trail leaving patchy boilerplate on one side with soft fresh man-made powder on the other. Challenger was still pretty wide to start so most of the new snow was laid on top of the existing base, probably the best runs of the evening were there. Whales on Look Mom (closed) waiting to be groomed into a park. Blowing snow on Hitchcock but I didn't ski it, still looks pretty narrow.
BadDNA

Postby Go Fish » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:15 pm

I'll be out tomorrow morning free sking while my ankle biter is in her Polar Kids lesson. If you are at Wachusett between 9:00 and noon, keep your eyes peeled for the fat kid lifting a heel in the red jacket.
Go Fish

Postby rockdaletj » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Go Fish... I should be around tomorrow AM skiing solo on the summit, orange helmet black jacket.
Conditions today were better than I had expected after yesterday. The summit runs were a mix of groomed and some boilerplate showing through. When the crowds came in I took a few runs down Hitchcock and Look Mom and the snow was really good.
They're doing a good job considering the hand Mother Nature has been dealing since Thanksgiving
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:36 pm

1/3/15 Snow Report:

Wow! What a difference a week of cold weather can make. As others have posted, the snow fabricators have been taking advantage of the cold weather and they have really changed the hill for the better. The runs off the summit are in solid early season shape. They are firm but it is not the hockey rink ice and dirt patches that were there last weekend. The stuff off of the Minuteman lift is actually pretty nice. Hitchcock smooth, fast, carve-able and it was the most pleasant run of the day.

Hopefully the overnight event delivers a heaping helping of snow before it changes over to rain.

I hooked up with rockdaletj for a couple of runs. It was a nice treat to make some turns with a fellow freeheeler.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:34 am

Snow Report 1/8/15

The conditions were bordering on fantastic last night. The frigid temps have allowed the snow crew at Wachusett to really get a nice layer of white down on the hill. The hard bits are gone and the runs that are open are covered to the trees. It was really cold last night and Smith Walton was closed for an impressive display of snow making. Every single gun on the run was cranking to create a localized blizzard. It is going to be in fine shape this weekend!

Thank Ulr that winter is finally here!

...some natural snow would be nice...but I'm not complaining...
Go Fish

Postby BadDNA » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:02 pm

There were some great conditions there last night for sure.
BadDNA

Postby rockdaletj » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Fun skiing today but a bit chilly in the AM. Firm edgeable groomers, natural snow mixed with manmade. Made a couple runs with Gofish, and quite a few other tele skiers out there too. We need some natural snow for skinning and hitting some little shots around here.
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Brenda » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:35 pm

rockdaletj wrote:Fun skiing today but a bit chilly in the AM. Firm edgeable groomers, natural snow mixed with manmade. Made a couple runs with Gofish, and quite a few other tele skiers out there too. We need some natural snow for skinning and hitting some little shots around here.

That's because the Boston AMC ski committee was running our telemark workshop on Sat. :) Conditions were pretty good! Nice to see a bit of natural snow in the mix.
Brenda

Postby Go Fish » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:27 am

Snow Report 1/15/15:

I hit the slopes with my crew from work at 7:00 last night. It was opening night for the Thursday race league and there were busses full of younglings from area schools so it was crowded at first but the kids were out of there by 8:00 and we settled into doing laps off of the Summit. Smith Walton was in beautiful shape. It was fast and firm with groomer snow on top. There was no trouble getting edges to bite deep. The conditions made for some seriously fun high speed carving. 10th and Conifer were a bit more polished off and had some nasty ice poking through in spots but it is hard to complain given the lack of natural snow this year. Upon exiting the bar, I noticed that the snow guns were trained on Conifer and 10th so I expect their conditions to improve.
Go Fish

Postby OnEdge » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Nice skiing today, Saturday the 16th. Got first chair at 8, a bit cold but skied until 12 when the lines got long on the chairs. Snow was firm base with a nice topping which made for a real consistent surface. I will be back tomorrow/Sunday morning.
OnEdge

Postby Go Fish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 am

Snow Report 1/22/15:

WaWa came through last week's rain unscathed. There is a ton of base and the skiing is good. It is still really firm but it is not overly icy. Sharp edges and good technique go a long way.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Snow Report 1/25/15:

I arrived at 7:30 and was in line before the first chair headed up at 8:00. The groom was more dense than I thought it would be but, whatever, it was hero snow. It is really nice to be on the hill and KNOW that the next time you tip your skis they will bite and you will rocket through another yummy turn.

We noticed that Lot 3 was being filled at 8:30.

I started to feel the hill get full around 9:00

I was in my truck and rolling at 9:30. The line for lot 3 was all the way to Route 140 and beyond...in both directions.

Early turns are good after a storm....
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Snow Report 1/28/15

ALL HAIL ULR!

I was on one of the first 10 chairs this morning and had the pleasure of getting one run down the ungroomed Smith Walton trail in relatively untracked snow. It was glorious. By the next run it was all cut up. The place filled up quickly. I logged 6 runs on absolute hero snow. It was the kind of snow that forgave everything and truly rewarded good technique. I was having a blast digging trenches on the lower angle stuff and not falling on my head while pushing limits. It is really too bad school was canceled today. I would probably still be out there had it not been for the hoards of less-than-courteous teenagers that over-ran the place.
Go Fish

Postby Bern » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:30 pm

I was there this morning. Hero snow gone but in every other way it is very good and not many teens either but I did leave early. Temperature was about zero F at 7:45 but it did not seem cold at all, probably because wind was nil.
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

PreviousNext

Return to Ski Area Conditions