• Advertisement

The 14/15 Wachusett Thread

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

The 14/15 Wachusett Thread

Postby Go Fish » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 pm

If you slide at da 'Chu post your experience here.

The first day of operation was yesterday but my schedule did not allow first chair...I had to settle for "next day blower snow". It was really,really good. Most of the hill is bare but the stuff that is covered skis beautifully. It is not soft but it is far from the scratchy boiler plate that will be sure to come. I did laps on Challenger until the muscles in my legs that only seem to get used for tele turns started screaming...Game on...
Last edited by Go Fish on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Fish

Re: The Wachusett Thread

Postby Go Fish » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:08 pm

I was out with my 5 year old daughter today. It was warm, the snow was soft and the runs on Challenger and Ralph's were fantastic. The summit was open but Coniffer and 10th are a bit thin. In the words of my munchkin: "Daddy, I don't like to ski on the brown snow. Can we go back to the hill with the white snow?"

For those that are wondering: sking fast is a lot easier on the quads than 5 hours worth of "speed control" for a 35 pounder that is not as influenced by gravity as her 200 pound counterpart.

The next few days are a roller coaster between warm and cold. Here's to wishing for more cold than warm...
Go Fish

Re: The 14/15 Wachusett Thread

Postby rockdaletj » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:00 am

I'm new to the board but a regular at Wachusett. So far the snow has been really fun considering how early it is and the fluctuating temps. I'm around mostly early weekend mornings and the occasional weekday depending on my work schedule. I have noticed quite a few people on tele gear up there the past couple of weeks, let's hope for some steady cold and snow between now and Christmas so we can get some more good days in before the real crowds begin.
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:52 am

rockdaletj-

I'll be at WaWa every Thursday night and Sunday morning this season. Thursday is my ski group from work. It is a really fun group and we meet in the bar @ 7:00 to get into boots and wait for the school kids to board the buses. On Sunday's I typically ski from 9:00 to noon while my little on is in her ski class.

If you are around at those times, look for me: Black helmet, red jacket and black pants.

Kevin
Go Fish

Postby snowmonkey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:50 am

My bf is trying to teach himself to tele, so if you see a tall-ish, solidly built guy in a blue helmet, yellow snow pants and a yellow/grey jacket, stop by and say hello. I'm sure he wouldn't mind some encouragement and pointers. He's been snowboarding for years and decided to give tele a try this year after seeing how much fun I'm having with it. He'll probably be up there Thursday evenings. Unfortunately I'm out of commission for several more weeks while recovering from a ruptured achilles tendon. I'm hoping to be back out on the slopes at some point this season!
snowmonkey

Postby rockdaletj » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:39 pm

I'll keep my eyes open. I'm usually Orange helmet, black jacket and dark green pants.
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby OnEdge » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:20 pm

I will be there most Saturdays and Sundays and beginning in January Thursday nights. My oldest is on the race team so while he trains, I ski. Looking forward to meeting new folks.

White helmet, tan pants (sometimes black), black jacket or brown shell
OnEdge

Postby Go Fish » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:21 pm

It looks like we have the makings of a WaWa Telemark East Crew.

The rest of you lurkers that lift a heel at Wachusett should chime in. It would be fun to fill up a couple of Polar Express chairs with pin heads...and drink a bunch of beer when we are done.
Go Fish

Postby BadDNA » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:16 am

New to the forum and new to tele but a seasoned WaWa patron. I'm snowmonkey's less attractive half and like she mentioned, a longtime snowboarder and new skier. Her description is spot-on, if you see me over on Indian Summer or Sundowner looking like I could use some pointers, it's probably because I could. I've got a handful of days on skis and aside from some basics that I picked up from snowmonkey, I'm teaching myself and learning from online videos right now.
BadDNA

Postby flyingcow » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:34 pm

BadDNA wrote:New to the forum and new to tele but a seasoned WaWa patron. I'm snowmonkey's less attractive half and like she mentioned, a longtime snowboarder and new skier. Her description is spot-on, if you see me over on Indian Summer or Sundowner looking like I could use some pointers, it's probably because I could. I've got a handful of days on skis and aside from some basics that I picked up from snowmonkey, I'm teaching myself and learning from online videos right now.

Welcome to the party! I don't get down to WaWa very often, but my sister is an instructor there. It's a damn good place to get your snow legs!
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Go Fish » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Snow Report for 12/4/14:

It was terrible. The heat and rain cause a dramatic densification of the cover and it was like a hockey rink last night...and my slallom skis were in the shop for a tune. I was on a pair of Atomic Theory and they were no match for the boilerplate. We are going to need a long stretch of cold for the crew to make lots of new snow or a big fat storm to make it decent at da 'Chu.
Go Fish

Postby BadDNA » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm planning to head up to Wawa this Thursday (12/18) night. I just took a Learn to ski lesson at Wildcat this weekend and after the lessons I started really trying to make some tele turns. Can't wait to keep working on it. :D
BadDNA

Postby Go Fish » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:52 am

BadDNA-

Provided the rain is not as bad as predicted, I'll be in the bar getting my boots on at 7:00 on Thursday - black helmet, red jacket, black pants. I'd take some runs with you if we can manage to hook up.

Kevin
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:14 pm

12/20/14 Snow Report

They have been blowing lots of snow, but, apparently most of the opportunities that they have had must have been just cold enough. What isn't the compacted rock hard product of multiple freeze - thaw cycles is the granular man made stuff that comes from "just barely cold enough" snow making. A nice change from my last outing at WaWa was the that the runs that are open are nicely covered.

I'm going to sacrifice a chicken to Ulur. We need a good dump sumpin' fierce.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:07 pm

12/30/14 Snow Report

I was out with the munchkin today and it was grim. She had a lesson early and I took a tour of the open terrain and skied with her on the beginner stuff when she was done.

The three main runs off the summit are open but they are thin, hard and narrow. A fresh tune, good balance and the ability to keep your footing while out-of-control morons are bouncing off of you is required. Mid mountain is in better shape. It is still largely ice with loose granular but there was a distinct absence of dirt and coverage was pretty much to the trees. Indian Summer and Sundowner are white ribbons through the dirt with vegetation poking through...

The only reason I will go back before a storm "fixes things" will be because my little one wants to get some turns in.
Go Fish

Next

Return to Ski Area Conditions