• Advertisement

Wachusett 3/23/2014

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Wachusett 3/23/2014

Postby Go Fish » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Wachusett continues to impress. There is still a ton of snow. It is in the form of hard but carveable spots covered with loose granular. There are some absolute boilerplate icy spots but they are easy to avoid. The crowds are light even on the weekend. It is still worth a trip if you can find a day when the temps go above freezing. I was there last Friday night as well and as soon as the corn started to freeze back up it became really unfun.
Go Fish

Re: Wachusett 3/23/2014

Postby Go Fish » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm happy to be a PSA for Wachusett. It is a fun hill that is really close to Boston and it offers a great opportunity for folks that crave a bit of vert but have other responsabilities. It bums me out that there is no response to these posts.

Are all the folks that view the posts closet Wachusett skiers that are ashamed to admit that they ski at a lesser hill? Can you read but not write?

I see telemarkers out there all the time and I bet they visit this site. I ran into Margaret the other day and did not realize it until she was blasting away on her Kendos.

Posting is fun...try it.
Go Fish

Postby OnEdge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Wachusett is my home mountain. I patrol there on Tuesday nights and am there many weekend days as my oldest son is on race team. There are between 2 and 4 patrollers on tele skis on Tuesdays, so if you see one of us, say hello.
OnEdge

Postby telehead » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:06 am

It's my home mountain too! I used to live on the other side of the hill in Princeton for 17 yrs but we recently moved to Berlin (still close but not as close). I also work on the hill on Monday nights as a Ski Ranger 8) On Edge, I've probably run into you a few times on my nights off. I may have also met you early on in the season (first week of school groups) when the mountain was flooded with Rangers. I worked every extra shift. I was up there yesterday afternoon for some nice turns - great day to be out. Was also up there last Saturday afternoon (3-6) playing on upper 10th (skiers right) by the tree line - nice and soft hop turns! I ran into another guy on tele and he says to me "nice day to be on teles" I replied " It's always a nice day to be on teles"

Cheers,
Dave
telehead

Postby snowmonkey » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:47 am

Ah, don't get bummed out. I don't think it's that anyone doesn't want to admit that they ski there or anything like that. It's just that people are lazy. I'm normally not even logged in when I read posts, and I'm usually just doing a quick skim of posts to see what conditions are like in various places. I normally do my trip reports over on the NYSkiBlog, since I used to ski quite a bit with those folks up until I moved to Central MA last summer. I don't get a lot of response to those posts, either, though I can see that many people read them. I think people just read the reports for information and just don't have much to say. I've thought about reposting them here, too, but... laziness ensues. I haven't written about Wachusett for the simple fact that most of those people live in NY and will likely never ski WaWa, but I do write about the places the SO and I go on weekends in VT and NH since they are more likely to go there. Anyway, I just wouldn't take it personally that you don't get much response. I like seeing your enthusiasm, and your conditions reports are helpful to me. Hope I get to meet you and even ski with you someday.
snowmonkey

Postby Brenda » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 am

Ditto here. I read, but don't' have anything to add, so I don't post. I really DO appreciate the updates, as we get to WaWa a few times a season. So thanks!
Brenda

Postby Go Fish » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:15 am

It is good to know folks are finding value in the posts.

I'm hoping to get out once or twice more this season but it is looking a bit grim in light of the rain and relatively warm temps.
Go Fish

Postby snowmonkey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

I started teaching my knuckle-dragger SO how to ski last weekend, and he's eager to get back out there, so we'll be up there Sunday. He's picking up on it pretty quickly, so I thought I'd take him over to try out some blue trails this time, maybe even start to teach him some mono-marks and stem christies and such to get him on the road to tele turns. He tried to give me a couple snowboard lessons, but they didn't go nearly as well. I think I spent more time lying on the ground than on my feet. :lol: I'll be sticking with two planks on my feet!
snowmonkey

Postby kesroberts » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:25 am

I went and skinned up Wach on wednesday - icy and bumpy, but it was nice to have the place to myself.

GoFish - I definitely appreciate your posts and will participate more in the future since I'm there at least once a week. It's been a great year and every now and then I feel like I actually am starting to get the whole tele thing thanks to having a ski area so nearby.
kesroberts

Return to Ski Area Conditions