• Advertisement

2018/2019 Wachusett Thread

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

2018/2019 Wachusett Thread

Postby Go Fish » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Opening weekend has passed and it was earlier than usual...and it was better than usual. Aside from the beginner areas, there were only two runs open, Ralph's and Conifer but, for early season, it was pretty darn good. I'm accustomed to a couple of white ribbons through the mud when I show up for opening day, this year was different. The coverage was solid and the conditions were actually good. I have definitely had worse runs in the middle of February. It is not fluffy, hero or epic but riding a lift and not throwing sparks on the way back down, before turkey day, is pretty nice.

Tele kind were out in force. It was great to reconnect after a summer off.

Game ON!!!
Go Fish

Re: 2018/2019 Wachusett Thread

Postby Brenda » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:36 pm

I went for a couple of hours on Sunday night, and I have been way more terrified at conditions in mid Feb. The snow was darn good for early season--even end of day Sunday there was plenty left to turn on with only a few skied-off places. The scariest were the young slope rockets--who either chose not to turn or did not know how--but the mostly stayed off to one side. It was fun!
Brenda

Postby Go Fish » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:40 pm

A few days off...check

Turkey dinner...check

Lots of booze and family and friends...check

Absolutely unprecedented early season conditions at Wachusett...check

When we arrived at the hill this morning it was still just Conifer and Ralph's. Around 10:00 they opened Challenger. While we were enjoying soft abundant snow on the runs that were operational, the snow cats were working hard on Look Mom and 10th Mountain. My guess is they both opened after we left around 2:00. I'm guessing 4 or 5 runs tomorrow with great coverage.

Conditions are fantastic for this time of the season. The crowds are still light. I cant wait to get back out there in the morning.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:00 pm

There is a lot more terrain open but it was pretty sketchy on Saturday. There were more snow guns going than I have ever seen and the conditions were perfect to create that super sticky snow that can make you go over the handle bars and land on your noggin if you aren't paying attention. I got 5 runs in before I decided it wasn't very fun. The conditions had to have been better today after a nice cold night and some grooming but I was tied up with family stuff.

We need one good 12" dump and the place will be mint again.
Go Fish

Return to Ski Area Conditions