• Advertisement

2017/2018 Wachusett Thread

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: 2017/2018 Wachusett Thread

Postby kesroberts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Great conditions today with all the new snow. My plans to head to VT solo today were dashed by a school cancellation, which left me in charge of the homestead, but I was able to convince my 7 yo to join me. We had a great morning - hope the new snow sticks around for awhile for the rest of you So. NewEnglanders.
kesroberts

Postby Go Fish » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am

Snow Report February 8, 2018:

I was at the hill with my crew from work last night. The conditions were less than ideal but at least the crowds were light. The rain that came after Wednesday's 6" of snow consolidated it and when the temperatures dropped, it firmed up in a serious way. There wasn't any shiny ice but the whole place was a layer of ball bearings on top of a hard chalky base layer that would take an edge if my form was perfect. When I got lazy, my edges didn't bite and I went flailing until I slowed down enough to pull it together. Let's just say that it was very "technical" last night.

It looks like 50s on Saturday and rain on Sunday...time to sacrifice a chicken to Ullr
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:12 am

Snow Report February 11, 2018

I was very surprised, and pleasantly so, by how much fun the snow was. Temps were in the 40s overnight and when we got to the hill and the super firm surface from a few nights ago had softened dramatically. It was hero snow. The sort of stuff where you can do no wrong. The problem was you couldn't see more than 100 feet in front of you through the pea soup fog. It was so thick that while on the lift you could just barely make out the next chair.

My wife and I gave up on the upper mountain after a couple of runs for fear of running someone or something over. The visibility on the runs off of the Minuteman lift was much better and the snow was fantastic. It is half the vert each run but it was infinitely more enjoyable.

It is raining there today :cry: . We just can't catch a break...
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Please tell me someone skied at WaWa today and is able to post a report. I'm really curious how it was after the fresh snow.

I'm up at Jay for the week. Reports start tomorrow.
Go Fish

Postby rockdaletj » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Sunday was great until the crowds rolled in heavy. Fresh runs for almost an hour, then it got chopped up but was still super fun chargeable snow all day. The first 3 runs on Smith were some of the best I have had there. Monday stayed soft and the crowds weren't horrible. Bluebird and fun carvy snow. Disclaimer: I had my heels locked down all weekend as I was testing out some new skis
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 am

Snow Report March 5, 2018

One word can sum up the conditions last night: GRIM

I showed up just as the sun was going down and the temperature drop turned what was probably fun corn snow into a frozen death trap. It was an awful mix of bedrock ice and frozen piles of cut up corn. Just as an edge started tracking, a pile of frozen junk would rattle your teeth and bounce the ski off-line. It sucked.

I got two runs in before I succumbed to serious concerns over hurting myself.

The bar had a new beer on tap, Space Dust by Elysian Brewing Company. It's a great big IPA but the hops are firmly under control. It was really nice.

I wouldn't bother with skiing WaWa until after this next storm. They are in the 12"-14" band so conditions should improve dramatically.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:03 am

Snow Report 3/8/18

It is pretty amazing what 18" of fresh snow can do for a ski hill. My kid had a snow day so we were at WaWa for first chair. Smith, 10th and Hitchcock were left ungroomed. The rest of the hill had a perfect coat of corduroy. It was really really fun snow.

Temps came up and the new snow consolidated but it is exactly what Wachusett needed to become whole again. The water content was pretty high so it is going to be firm if the temps go below freezing. Get there to ski freshly groomed trails or pick a warm day. I have no doubt they will be open into April.

Rustler 11's are a pure joy in heavy, chopped up, cruddy powder. Sorta like a freight train that can carve or pivot at will....
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Snow Report 3/10/18

After suffering through rain, ice, frigid cold and nothing but machine snow, today was vindication. The groom was perfect. The weather was mild. The moguls that remained were skiable and were made by skiers instead of a snow cat. One of the top 10 days ever at WaWa.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Snow Report 3/13/2018

You can't see it but I am grinning ear to ear as I type.

Wachusett got more than 15" and less than 25" and after the mid point of the storm, the snow was fluffy and light. Needless to say, the hill was in really good shape. Lots of real life bogged me down today so I did not show up for skiing until 7:30 P. I did not ski anything that was untracked. However, I got a bunch of runs in on super soft snow that begged to let my fat skis eat. It was a really fun night. No crowds. Just laps.

Chunked up, nasty, crud is perfect on the right skis. Get a pair of Blizzard Rustler 11.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Snow Report 3/15/18

It is no secret that the snow crew at Wachusett can turn lemons into lemonade. What they can do with a $#!+ ton of fresh snow a few days after a storm is nothing short of artistry. Tonight the hill was as good as it ever gets. The groom was perfect, the snow was fast and the perfect consistency for laying the skis over and ripping high speed GS turns. There was no one there so we were able to cram 15 runs into 2 hours before we retired to the bar for pints and chicken wings.

I highly recommend sneaking out of work early to get there around 6:00 so you can ski each of the 3 summit runs as soon as they drop the rope after the groomers have gotten to them. Tonight it went Smith, 10th then conifer and we got "fresh tracks" on all of them. there is something really satisfying about laying some trenches and then stopping to look at your handy work.

Big grins all night!
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:21 am

Snow Report 3/17/18

I got a bunch of laps in between first chair and 10:00 today and it was glorious. The snow was super carveable and fast and there wasn't a bit of ice to be found. By 10:00 the lines were getting long and I decided that I had enough. Get out there first thing tomorrow and you will not be disappointed.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Snow Report 3/22/18

Last night was...meh.

I had hopes that 3 fresh inches would still play a part 10+ hours after it stopped snowing and people slid on it. My hopes were dashed. By the time I showed up after work it was skied off and ungroomed. The warm day probably softened things but with the sun down and the cold creeping in it was really hard in the middle of the runs and hard slush on the edges. I had a couple of runs after the first just to confirm it sucked and then I had a couple of beers and some chicken wings.

Try the Wachusett Dry Rub on the chicken wings. Salt, sweet and a tiny bit of spice...yummy!

This is the time of year that you need to pick your trip if you don't have a pass. If it is hovering around the freezing mark, find something else to do. If it is going to be warm, go for it. If it is going to be cold, get there early so you can enjoy some uncrowded runs on nicely groomed snow like product.
Go Fish

Postby rockdaletj » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:02 pm

Today was pretty darn nice. Felt like mid January snow all over the hill. Fun fast laps off the summit all morning , then some softer cruisers and bump runs mid mountain until the legs were spent. As Go fish said... Wally and Dry Rub wings are a great treat at the end of the day
http://www.parlorskis.com
Instagram: @d.gilbo
rockdaletj

Postby Go Fish » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Snow Report 3/25/18

I hooked up with rockdaletj and a bunch of the weekend crew for some runs in March that were more like runs in January. The snow was great and the strong wind was cold. There was an inch or so on top of perfect groom for the first bunch of runs. We all predicted that it would get skied off quickly...but it didn't. When I bailed on everyone at 9:30 to get my chores done at home the snow was still fantastic. I'll bet the rest of my brethren logged plenty more runs before Wally came calling.

The quality of snow this late in the year is just crazy. Enjoy it while you can!
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Snow Report 3/31/18

I hope you took advantage of the fleeting winter like conditions that were available last weekend. Today the snow was not as good. It was really firm corduroy around 8:00 A and it quickly turned into loose granular. I'm not complaining. The whole hill was open in late March and there was no one there, especially from 8:00 - 10:00. And, no matter what, it beats the hell out of sitting on the couch wishing there was something fun to do.

I had my wife and daughter with me for the early shift. They are no strangers to WaWa but they had never been at Wachusett at 7:30 to meet all of the folks that have become my friends through the simple act of getting our boots on together. Being able to introduce them to people who have been skiing WaWa for longer than I have been alive, to people that have logged more than 100 days on snow this year, to a bunch of whacked out tele friends and to the Crowleys (they own the place). It made me realize why I love my silly little hill so much. Skiing is great, but fantastic people are what it is really about.

I hope the snow (like product) holds out until next weekend, and it looks like it will. The conditions won't be great but we will laugh our asses off watching the uninhibited try and make it across the "pond", get a few questionable runs in and look forward to next yer.
Go Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Ski Area Conditions