• Advertisement

Jay Peak 4/20 - 4/23

What's it like at your area? Just skied somewhere and it rocked (or not)? Let us know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Jay Peak 4/20 - 4/23

Postby Go Fish » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 pm

I have read, seen and heard much about the challenging terrain and epic snow that falls on Jay Peak in Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. It sounded just a little bit unbelievable. Big exposed pitches, cliffs to drop, in bounds tree runs with little to no upkeep... Basically a little slice of the Rockies hanging out on the east coast. I saw it for myself, for the first time this past week. I now believe.

None of the truly steep terrain was open and the tram was closed for the year. It was well past the glory that was 500" of snow this past season but the grooming team was pushing snow around to keep 40+ runs open for the spring season. The first couple of days my wife and kid hung out at the water park while I explored the open terrain. Thu-Sat the clouds started at about 2500 feet so most of my exploring was in thick fog and sometimes pouring rain. I spent most of my time on the "Stateside" portion of the mountain because that is where the terrain was most open. The runs off of the Jet lift were still well covered and transitioned from partially frozen corn to super soft oozy corn as altitude was lost. It was great to be on a run that was long and steep enough to make me feel OK about having a break part way down.

Our last day was today and the sun came out full force. The girls skied with me and it was glorious. My pipsqueak has never been anywhere bigger than Wachusett. Just riding the Flyer lift was a whole new experience for her. The view from 3000+ feet made a 7 year old stop and look and the fact that we skied the Northway for a couple of miles before we got back on a chair for another run just blew her away. She asked if we could come back for February vacation next year so she could try out more of "the hill".

The water park was packed with April vacation week folks but the mountain was deserted even on the one nice day that we had, I spent a good bit of time hanging out with local skiers and Jay staff and learned that next weekend is probably the end of the season. I can't wait to get back to Jay when the flakes are flying.
Go Fish

Re: Jay Peak 4/20 - 4/23

Postby raisin'heel » Fri May 12, 2017 11:12 am

I was lucky enough to get up there for late powder conditions (March 24 & 25, 2017). I like the place for the quality of forests (State Park) and the integration with XC/BC trails, as well as interesting terrain. I was also able to finally try a little taste of the famous Jay backcountry on "Little Jay" off Route 242 up in the pass, S. of ski area, and found fabulous open tree runs. There is also access to the Catamount trail up there too. Need more time and a place to stay!
raisin'heel

Return to Ski Area Conditions