• Advertisement

'Gunner' Turn ?

Have questions about telemark technique? We have invited seven professional telemark instructors to help out with any questions you may have. If you are a never-ever wondering how to start or an expert tele skier wondering how to polish up that mogul run, here is the place to look.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

'Gunner' Turn ?

Postby pmacaula » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Am four days into the cross-over from alpine to tele and having a great time.

Local instruction is only available 2-3 days a season (next one is at the end of Feb), so have been looking at videos and reading the various instruction threads, many of which recommend doing the 'monomark'. I have been doing some, though find them to be a challenge, much more so than actuall telemark turns. Hopefully I am not doing the dreaded 'fake-a-mark'.
I had my first ever tele ski and lesson (on rental gear) over five years ago, but have only had two more lessons/tele days on snow between then and getting my own kit ten days ago. , On my first run of that lesson, I did my first few turns with my leg position reverse of normal. The instructor called it a 'gunner' turn.
She said it was quite difficult & quickly got me doing turns the proper way.

Doing monomark got me thinking about whether doing 'gunner' turns would also be of value for drills/learning.

Any thoughts/insight appreciated.

Cheers. Patrick.
pmacaula

Re: 'Gunner' Turn ?

Postby Williamtele » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:32 am

Hey Patrick,

I think what you're referring to are more commonly called "reversa-marks" or "dyslexa-marks." It's when your downhill ski is always the trailing ski. I use them when a student has gotten to the point where they are comfortable doing both monomark turns and telemark turns. The challenge that I offer to them is to do 3 monomarks, 3 telemark, and 3 reversamarks in succession (or some other combination). It tests a skier's balance, rotational skills and turn initiation, not to mention their focus. It's the skiing version of trying to say "She sells sea shells by the sea shore" five times fast.

As a drill, I don't see much value in just doing gunner turns unless you're bored and want to look funny (as if we all don't). Work on those monomarks. They are the aspirin of telemark - they cure almost every ailment.

Bill
Williamtele

Re: 'Gunner' Turn ?

Postby pmacaula » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Will,
Thanks very much. Monomark it is. Looking forward to a long weekend on the slopes !
Cheers. Patrick.
pmacaula

Return to Telemark Instruction