• Advertisement

What did we miss?

Have questions about telemark technique? We have invited seven professional telemark instructors to help out with any questions you may have. If you are a never-ever wondering how to start or an expert tele skier wondering how to polish up that mogul run, here is the place to look.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

What did we miss?

Postby Williamtele » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:19 am

So Saturday was probably my last day for the year. Appropriately........how can I put this politely.....it sucked. I skinned up Waterville hoping that the sun would have softened it up a little in spite of temps hovering around freezing. The ride down was the scariest thing I've ever done on skis. It was a frozen, cratered, corrugated, glacier. Every turn was a journey into the unknown. The rattling alone will undoubtedly cost me in dental work somewhere down the line.

Okay, so the season was a big disappointment on many levels, but in addition to the "too little snow, too much rain" gripe, what do you wish you did more? I skied a lot and had some fun but other than 5 days in Utah at the end of March, everything was on groomed runs with little or no variety (if you don't count the 17 new kinds of ice that exposed themselves over the course of the winter). My "miss list" includes:

Powder (duh)
Moguls
Trees/glades
Steeps (Lower Bobbys at WV never opened this year)

So relative to teaching and personal skiing, it felt like I treaded water this year. It was my first season on NTN and I had hoped to explore the gear's capabilities (and mine) in challenging conditions. It ended up being way too many turns on open sheets of man made, challenging only my creativity to come up with activities to keep a dozen youngsters from whining.

So what did you miss this year?
Williamtele

Re: What did we miss?

Postby flyingcow » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:49 pm

I missed most of the ski season this year!

I got out for the whopping second time, two weeks ago at $towe. Honestly, after being out a full season recovering, I was extremely happy with my skiing. I didn't get to do anything challenging, but I was finally comfortable initiating my turns. I have a pair of Salomon Sentinals that I was never happy with. I always thought they were planks that could only do big turns fast. Now that I'm actually leaning onto that downhill edge to start a turn, I can whip them around like nothing. I think I'd feel comfortable taking them into the trees next season instead of skiing inbounds with my Charger BC's like I did all last season.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Biff » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:14 pm

I had the same mantra as last year… "To save my knees I'm only skiing powder days." Last year I skied every other day. This year I hardly skied at all. BUT… my knees feel GREAT! Next year it's going to be POW baby!
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby teletante » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 am

I missed moguls and woods. I only got in 3 days on the boreals in the woods at home.

On the other hand it has been a year full of learning experiences. The last week has offered a whole lot of figuring out when to lead change as its been lots of boiler plate, where I want an early lead change, under library paste where I want a late lead change. I finally found a modified white pass turn let me get on the new inside edge early enough to hold on the plate while offering a late enough lead change that the paste wasn't making me face plant before the fall line.
teletante

Return to Telemark Instruction