• Advertisement

So, you got issues????

Have questions about telemark technique? We have invited seven professional telemark instructors to help out with any questions you may have. If you are a never-ever wondering how to start or an expert tele skier wondering how to polish up that mogul run, here is the place to look.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: So, you got issues????

Postby Brenda » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Interesting--thanks! I'm familiar with pivot slips in tele, will have to check it out when doing P-turns.
Brenda

Postby BadDNA » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 am

Having just entered the sport after snowboarding for 20+ years and with no alpine ski experience, I've got tons of issues. I've taken a Learn-2-Ski lesson a few weeks back which combined with the basics my girlfriend was able to pass on late last season, gave me enough confidence on skis to start trying tele turns. I just took a true telemark lesson yesterday at Wachusett with Ted and now I've got my issues narrowed down to just a couple to practice on. Some easy to fix...look down the hill more; some not so easy...uneven strength and balance between my two legs. I'm not sure if it's the challenge of learning a new sport, the open and friendly community, the freedom or a combination of all of them, but I'm hooked.
BadDNA

Postby flyingcow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:16 pm

BadDNA wrote:Having just entered the sport after snowboarding for 20+ years and with no alpine ski experience, I've got tons of issues. I've taken a Learn-2-Ski lesson a few weeks back which combined with the basics my girlfriend was able to pass on late last season, gave me enough confidence on skis to start trying tele turns. I just took a true telemark lesson yesterday at Wachusett with Ted and now I've got my issues narrowed down to just a couple to practice on. Some easy to fix...look down the hill more; some not so easy...uneven strength and balance between my two legs. I'm not sure if it's the challenge of learning a new sport, the open and friendly community, the freedom or a combination of all of them, but I'm hooked.

Tele Ted will guide you to the Way. Tele Ted is the Way.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Williamtele » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:40 pm

flyingcow wrote:
BadDNA wrote:Having just entered the sport after snowboarding for 20+ years and with no alpine ski experience, I've got tons of issues. I've taken a Learn-2-Ski lesson a few weeks back which combined with the basics my girlfriend was able to pass on late last season, gave me enough confidence on skis to start trying tele turns. I just took a true telemark lesson yesterday at Wachusett with Ted and now I've got my issues narrowed down to just a couple to practice on. Some easy to fix...look down the hill more; some not so easy...uneven strength and balance between my two legs. I'm not sure if it's the challenge of learning a new sport, the open and friendly community, the freedom or a combination of all of them, but I'm hooked.

Tele Ted will guide you to the Way. Tele Ted is the Way.

You might start off with a very strong turn in one direction and a not-so-strong turn in the other based on your dominant snowboarding leg. Balance and stance will be your primary challenges so do lots and lots and lots and lots of shuffles; in a traverse, on a low angle straight run, and finally though a turn. You'll want to try to keep pressure on both skis throughout each shuffle i.e. try not to un-weight the skis as your transitioning. Have fun and keep us informed about your progress. There are good videos on the PSIA-E website.
Williamtele

Postby BadDNA » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:06 am

Williamtele wrote:
flyingcow wrote:Tele Ted will guide you to the Way. Tele Ted is the Way.

You might start off with a very strong turn in one direction and a not-so-strong turn in the other based on your dominant snowboarding leg. Balance and stance will be your primary challenges so do lots and lots and lots and lots of shuffles; in a traverse, on a low angle straight run, and finally though a turn. You'll want to try to keep pressure on both skis throughout each shuffle i.e. try not to un-weight the skis as your transitioning. Have fun and keep us informed about your progress. There are good videos on the PSIA-E website.

That was exactly the issue though a combination of things is leading to my imbalance. Snowboarding definitely, but I'm also still recovering from an injury about 18 months ago, I fractured and dislocated my heel which lead to a lower leg cast for three months and learning to walk all over again. I've got most of the strength back in that leg but balance and mobility are still a challenge. I'll work on the shuffles, that seems like a good drill. Ted mentioned the videos as well, I've been watching the first two in the series, those seem to be the most relevant right now.
BadDNA

Postby teletante » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Having just entered the sport after snowboarding for 20+ years and with no alpine ski experience

Try thinking switch.

Then "all" you have to do is, start a heel side turn, switch on the fall line, and finish a toe side turn.
Admittedly this works better if you use a carving board with high foot angles, but what the hell.

Oh and my issue is that my first Tele lesson of the year isn't scheduled until Saturday.
Like sex, It's just not the same on the internet.
teletante

Postby BadDNA » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:49 am

teletante wrote:
Having just entered the sport after snowboarding for 20+ years and with no alpine ski experience

Try thinking switch.

Then "all" you have to do is, start a heel side turn, switch on the fall line, and finish a toe side turn.
Admittedly this works better if you use a carving board with high foot angles, but what the hell.

Oh and my issue is that my first Tele lesson of the year isn't scheduled until Saturday.
Like sex, It's just not the same on the internet.

That is a really good way of thinking about it. I've never ridden a carving board but I can totally see the parallels.

Have fun in your lesson!
BadDNA

Postby teletante » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Well, I had 3 one hour tele lessons in the last 3 days.

1, An older gentleman who started teleing 20 years ago after XC for many years.

2, A young couple who I had seen for their first tele lesson last season.

and to the point....

3, Someone who had been snowboarding for the last 15 years and had never been on skis until an hour before his tele lesson. He got to the point of rudimentary tele turns. He looked pretty good as far as stance and finishing turns, but had a way to go to flow from turn to turn. His biggest thrill was getting to face forward on and off the lift.

It's been good snow and sun for most of the last couple weeks so I'm happy.
teletante

Previous

Return to Telemark Instruction