• Advertisement

Shutting it down

Have questions about telemark technique? We have invited seven professional telemark instructors to help out with any questions you may have. If you are a never-ever wondering how to start or an expert tele skier wondering how to polish up that mogul run, here is the place to look.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Shutting it down

Postby Williamtele » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 am

Shutting it down.

So how painful is it to have the ski season ending with mountains full of snow? You spend all winter perfecting your conditioning and form only to have the lifts grind to a halt. Sure we’ll be hiking until mid-May but it’s different when every run is preceded by a 60-90 minute skin.

The question is how do you take everything that you did this year and carry it over until next season? In terms of conditioning, that’s pretty basic…..run, bike, hike, swim, kayak, row, do yoga, brew beer and play video games. But I’m talking about things that you learned about your skiing.

Every season we start off with 100 voices in our head each time we start a turn….”keep your stance balanced, keep your hands in front, keep your upper body countered, are your joints evenly flexed?, etc….etc….etc. By the end of the year you’ve synthesized the thought process down to something much simpler (one or two voices) and all the other stuff is coming naturally. Not surprisingly you’re skiing much better when you’re thinking less. But every December we go though the same process of self-discovery because we forgot what we were doing right in March and April.

As you ease out of this glorious year, spend a few minutes mentally reviewing what you learned. What were your “ah-ha” moments (we all have them) and what were the good things that we accomplished and the bad things that we changed? Make some notes and tuck that piece of paper into your ski jacket pocket or write an email to yourself and have Outlook deliver it next Thanksgiving. Better yet, share it with the rest of us. For me, this year’s discovery was about keeping my hips aligned with my upper body.

Hope everyone has a great summer.
Williamtele

Re: Shutting it down

Postby teletante » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:15 pm

My negative.... Noticing how my tele turns on steeps are reintroducing my 30 year old downstem to my alpine skiing.
My positive.... Keeping my upper body moving downhill and releasing the downhill edge earlier thus avoiding the downstem both alpine and tele.

I make a note of my positives and what I'm working on and stick on the appointment calender for the coming November. I find I need no write down negatives, I'll find new ones, even if I did forget any old ones.
teletante

Postby wickybrook » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:59 am

self-discovery because we forgot what we were doing right in March and April.???
wickybrook

Postby capecodtele » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:25 am

For me its like when I used to golf, my first golf outing of the year was always my best, after that, I started over thinking everything and it just went down hill after that, henceforth, no more golf for me. For my Tele skiing, this year my first outing was great because I resolved to do nothing but tele turns the whole day and was pretty successful and skied the best I ever have. After that first outing, I was at MRG and the Castlerock Area at Sugarbush and was skiing moguls and steeps with my son and in order to keep up with him fell back to my alpine turns. When skiing with other non-tele skiers ( everyone I ski with) I tend to resort to alpine turns to keep up with them so they are not waiting.

Next year my son heads off to college, so I will be skiing on my own a lot more and will resolve to maintain the tele-only goal and spend time working on skiing moguls and steeps in the tele technique.
capecodtele

Postby flyingcow » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Williamtele wrote:Shutting it down.

Sure we’ll be hiking until mid-May but it’s different when every run is preceded by a 60-90 minute skin.

a.k.a "Better"

Williamtele wrote:

Every season we start off with 100 voices in our head each time we start a turn….”keep your stance balanced, keep your hands in front, keep your upper body countered, are your joints evenly flexed?, etc….etc….etc. By the end of the year you’ve synthesized the thought process down to something much simpler (one or two voices) and all the other stuff is coming naturally. Not surprisingly you’re skiing much better when you’re thinking less. But every December we go though the same process of self-discovery because we forgot what we were doing right in March and April.

Narrow down the voices from 100 to 2...

Me: "Dude, just friggin ski."
Biff:" Dude, weight your inside ski earlier."

That should cut it.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Return to Telemark Instruction