• Advertisement

Movement Analysis - NO not that kind of movement

Have questions about telemark technique? We have invited seven professional telemark instructors to help out with any questions you may have. If you are a never-ever wondering how to start or an expert tele skier wondering how to polish up that mogul run, here is the place to look.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Movement Analysis - NO not that kind of movement

Postby Williamtele » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

In the world of PSIA, movement analysis gets a lot of attention. In a nutshell, it refers to the ability to look at skiers and determine what they are doing well and what they could do better. While we all basically know good skiers (everyone else) from sucky ones (us), it gets a little more complicated when you have to decide why they’re good or why they suck. PSIA teaches that there are several ways to perform movement analysis and that an instructor should strive to choose the method that works best for them. The three most popular “MA” roadmaps are top-down, bottom-up, and inside-out, and refer to the direction that your analysis should travel as you watch your student. There are other ways to do it but the point is to try to give the process some structure and organization.

In telemark, there are all sorts of metrics one can use to do movement analysis and you can use any of the methods mentioned above. I find it easier to limit my analysis to relatively few movements specific to the level that I’m teaching. That analysis should evolve into the blueprint for your lesson plan. Below I’ve listed good and bad tele-specific “visual cues” that you can look at when sizing up your own skiing or a client’s. They generally fall within the categories of the 5 basic skill groups. I’m pretty sure I ripped off the list from the PSIA study guide so it’s comprehensive.

Visual Cues (good)

Balance – joints evenly flexed, hips centered, skis bending evenly, shoulders-hip-hands are level, inside hand and shoulder lead through the turn, inside hip higher than outside, hands in front of body.
Rotary – legs turn under body, femur turns in hip socket, upper body is quiet and slightly countered, appropriate turning to create arc, legs turn together, rotary movements are progressive.
Edging – skis tip early in the turn, diagonal and lateral movements used to engage and disengage edges, edges are released and reengaged during lead change in one smooth movement, shins make forward and lateral contact with boot cuff, ankle and knee and hip show appropriate angles as skis are tipped.
Pressure – skis flow evenly, bend progressively through turn, all joints bend evenly to assist angling the body, flexion and extension changes with terrain, pole touch or plant, quiet upper body.
Lead change – pull and stride occur at same time, all movements smooth, progressive and continuous, all movement is below the hips, timing and quickness of lead change is appropriate for desired turn, torso countered to prepare for next turn.

Visual Cues (bad)

Balance – forward ankle too straight, too low, body tipped to the inside, too stiff, torso following lower body, hands and arms too low or too far back, head/eyes down.
Rotary – Upper body initiates turn, skier standing too tall so hips are square, locking inside ski, rushed or pivoted turn creating “Z” shape, 1-2 action as skis are turned at different times.
Edging – Skis tipped too late after speed built up, skier moves away from turn so can’t tip skis, no release of old lead (inside ski) requiring step or stem, too low, one ski tipped more than the other.
Pressure – terrain controlling skier, too much forward/rear movement, no flexion or extension, erratic pole plants, undisciplined upper body, non-round turn shape.
Lead change – jerky and inconsistent, quick lead change early in the turn creates skidding and “J” shape, quick pull back of lead ski, old lead not released so no simultaneous edge change, no torso countering, stemming or stepping movement disrupts lead change.

You can look at any skier and find something wrong with their form. But to make a difference in their skiing you need to figure out what is actually causing the offending movement that you are seeing. It often can be tricky to figure out what is a symptom and what is a cause. Having an MA plan will help unravel the wonderful mystery that is telemark skiing.

What have you done that has helped you analyze your students?
Williamtele

Re: Movement Analysis - NO not that kind of movement

Postby Rene-Martin Trudel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:20 am

Wow, Great input,

Thanks Will.

I guess I'm doing that without knowing.

That's a lot of material to master. MA is like to holly grail of teaching. People want to know what is wrong with there skiing.

I have a tendency of not telling them to much about that and focusing on exercises to gain skills and abilities. But in the recent weeks, I've change my approach, especially in the web.

1. We have more time to explain
2. People don't always have a good perspective on what to improve

I have a paid series of tutorials that is just launching that are called the 7 flaws of telemark.
I've just put the video 1 online for free
http://absolutetelemark.com/flaw-1/

See the first video and tell me want you think.

So my philosophy is centered around these 7 FLAWS

˚Back leg in the lead Change (video #1)
    ˚Flexion Extension
    ˚The weak side
    ˚Hand movements
    ˚Momentum (keeping it all moving)
    ˚Head (looking)
    ˚Inside Knee movement

There is also the telemark stance that I consider more of the core of telemark. It can also be a flaw in the early stage

So I will examine one's 7 Flaws in this order and determine what is the most important one.
Your tip of starting from top to feet or opposite or inside out is quite good !

Rene
http://absolutetelemark.com
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford
Rene-Martin Trudel

Re: Movement Analysis - NO not that kind of movement

Postby Williamtele » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:49 am

A very important aspect of movement analysis (that I left out) is watching your students' skis, or your own. A great deal can be learned before you even look at the skier. Here are a few examples: what is their turn shape? Is it a smooth arc or a "Z" shape? Are the turns linked or is there a prolonged recovery between turns? Are the skis tilted up on edge and carving or are they more flat and skiddy? Do the tips follow the tails or is the tip like the base of a windshield-wiper? As the skis turn, what part of the ski is the axis of rotation...tip, center or tail? Is their lead change early, late or somewhere in the middle. The nice thing about analyzing the skis instead of the skier is that you often have forensic evidence in the form of the tracks left behind.

Reading the skis will give you a wealth of information before you even start your "teaching." Get good at reading them and it will take your movement analysis to a new level.
Williamtele

Return to Telemark Instruction