• Advertisement

Skinny sis and light weight bindings in the woods

Have questions about telemark technique? We have invited seven professional telemark instructors to help out with any questions you may have. If you are a never-ever wondering how to start or an expert tele skier wondering how to polish up that mogul run, here is the place to look.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Skinny sis and light weight bindings in the woods

Postby waverider » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Been since not sure when that I checked in .
Skied quite a bit last year both bc and lifts but not so much this year for many reasons (including a nagging foot injury). Finally got out the Merrill's and my old Karhu Dorado's about 2 weeks ago and blew out one of the plastic heel levers of the Riva bindings before I even left the trailhead
.. So I started over and switched to some softer lace up boots on wax able skinny skis with Salomon XA "backcountry"bindings ; skis are 60/50/55 , 195 cm, neo traditional Nordic off track ski
as u all know conditions have been brilliant....blue wax perfection. Though focused mostly on conditioning.... Going up is more fun when going down involves curvy lines thru trees. but how?

Skiing super skinny tele in the woods ...no plastic buckle boots no cable 50 cm underfootis HARD but I think if I master it I will be a better all around skier. Its obvious to me why BC skis (alpine and tele both) have gone shorter and "floatier" every time I bury a tip under crust or tree limb but now I am determined to master the technique on skis that are closer to the roots of telemark..... And I'm here looking for tips and techniques....
Thanks in advance.
Seeking back-country tracks in Rock, York, Strafford counties
waverider

Re: Skinny sis and light weight bindings in the woods

Postby mptelemark » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:23 pm

I too love my skinny skis. So much more fun trekking around the woods . Unfortunately the modern telemark turn does not work , but old style tele does. I am now using combi skate boots w light shorter metal edge skis 175 at 64/53 to do my low hills backcountry . Works as well as my asolo leather snowfields w 3 pins. Very light set up. The technique is the initial original tele technique of early lead change swinging front leg around and then edging and rotating vs edging first in modern tele enabling use of the carved ski. In tighter turns the tele wedge turn works well w again bringing the outside ski around. The old snowplow with a tele finish. Very stable and the stand by turn for me. It sure helps to have powder and wider slopes. The true place tele turns work on skinny skis. Then of course you have the expert skinny ski tele turn skiers from years ago. Think jump turn. It is amazing to watch video of these jump turns and the terrain that is being skied . Does take being in shape . Have fun exploring
mptelemark
mptelemark

Postby CIMA » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:45 pm

I love skinny skis, too.
However, I change the skis according to snow conditions: powder and corn snow.
I use wider skis, such as Fischer S-bound 88, for powder and narrower skis, such as Rossignol BC70, for corn snow. The skis narrower than the BC70 is limited for groomed slope in my case.
I prefer modern XCD style using skis a little shorter than body height with cross-country bindings and boots, such as Salomon SNS XA and Salomon Xadv-8.
These bindings and boots have great advantage over traditional 3-pin bindings and leather boots in terms of the ease of walking, comfort in wet condition, durability and ease of maintenance. Though shorter skis require advanced technique, they contribute ease of hiking up and going downhill in the woods.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.
CIMA

Postby Digger » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Also keep in mind that longer skinnier skis just take more space to turn. Think sea kayak versus a whitewater boat. Another analogy would be downhill skis versus slalom skis.
Digger

Postby CIMA » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:15 pm

I'll second that.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.
CIMA

Postby yardsale » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:00 am

For me it depends on snow depth. There is no way I would want to return to my Karhu 10th Mountains to slog through 10" plus of powder when I can tour around on the top with my S Bounds. I confess Pat and I have even gone further away from skinny skis with the purchase of Vole Vector BCs. On the other hand, if I wanted to ski the newly flagged route which circumnavigates Camels Hump on 4" of powder on a firm base, skinny would be the way to go.
yardsale

Return to Telemark Instruction